1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Transaxle Fluid Change?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Tideland Prius, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dealer suggested a transaxle fluid flush and refill for my 96,000km service. I know it's not required (it's not listed in the maintenance schedule) but I recall some Gen 2's benefiting from a transaxle fluid change. Safe to say that the Gen 3 can benefit too?

Edit: It's a fluid change, not flush. Sorry, wrong choice of words.

#1 Tideland Prius, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sure. A lot sooner is even better, just my 2 cents. How much are they asking for this, "flush" sounds a little fishy..., maybe just a terminology thing?

It's dead simple, around $100 would be reasonable, just cus the fluid's a bit more pricey ($9.32 per liter on my last invoice, 4 req'd).

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    suppose it depends on how long you plan to keep it. surprised to hear your dealer recommended something outside the box.

4. A617

A617 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There's benifits of changing the transaxle fluid, as right after I change the transaxle fluid in my prius I notice it was overall the car drives smoother (less vibration, less noise), the engine disengaging is less noticeable and under load with EV at 0-5 mph I usually have a gear rotating noise that has diminished. Mpg wise I don't know about that.

The key point is ensuring they you have proper amount of fluid I was short of 0.5 quarts when I did mine and the fluid has thicken up.

I usually follow a universal manual transmission fluid change/service intervals
    50k miles 5 yrs

Flushing wise just drain and fill drive it for 6 months 5000 miles a drain and fill again, should 90% clear of the old oil.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    $79.95++

Well flush is my words. Basically they're changing the fluid.

The car? I take care of it as if I'm keeping it for life cause you never know. I may trade it or I may keep it. I do like my current Prius.

That's under the hood, right? I can't remember. I only remember the two bottles for coolant (For Gen 2 owners, the Gen 3 went with two separate coolant systems - one for the engine and one for the inverter so there are two separate storage containers)

6. Christian_cool

Christian_cool Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Regarding to this post, I have drive with my Prius 148.000km and haven't changed the transaxle fluid yet, is it serious if I don't change it soon?

7. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Just drain and fill, no "flushing" required.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Tidelands, $79.95's a very reasonable price. My before tax cost for fluid and 2 washers was $41.26. Just talk with them, make sure they're not getting creative, using an alternate fluid. It's really very straightforward, the simplest/safest way is to use a funnel and hose extension to put in the new fluid. Preferably one dedicated to use with that fluid only, to avoid contamination.

Christian, as far as Toyota is concerned, the fluid is good for "lifetime". But considering the simplicity and expense, it's well worth doing. I did a change at the 1 year mark, around 15.000 km. It was noticeably darker then. After two more years, around 40,000 km, I did a second change, and the fluid was surprisingly fresh looking.

My take: the first change is most beneficial, should be sooner than later. Subsequent changes can be on a more relaxed interval, say 3~4 years or 50~60k km's.

9. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Had mine changed twice at that $79 price. First time early as sort of a flush after manufacture, then a follow up which I intend to do roughly 60k or so. I can't remember the actual number, but on the vehicle maintenance schedule that Tideland and I have in our cars you can set up all the reminders you like in terms of time or mileage to get things like tire rotations, fluid changes etc programmed in and be reminded on the navigation screen when things become due.

Yes, the service is not required, but it makes good sense to have it done to protect the moving parts in there that are subject to wear.

Roland

Tideland Prius likes this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well it was $79.95++. It's broken down as such:

Labour: 30 mins - $43.70
    Parts: $36.25 (5 units of ATF WS at $7.25 each).

They said the fluid level was a bit low but they didn't find any leaks.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What's with "units", hope they give up on that: someone else mentioned that, the other day, quoting from a bill.

Assuming litres, good price: liters cost me $9.32. And $3.95 per washer, 2 needed.

Funny they're talking about FIVE "units", it'll take around 3.5 liters.

12. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you are about to get a new car instead of the old one - then its not serious. If you want to keep your car for 10 years and another 150 000 km - then I would change the transmission fluid.

- Alex

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No idea but I mean it maybe for internal purposes - keeping track of how much they're using and issuing per vehicle (in case a customer says they overfilled or underfilled something).

They do the same for oil changes - units of oil (presumably however much the tank dispenses or per bottle)

14. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Did you ended changing it?