1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid vehicle immobilizer / Theft deterrent system indicator light but it isnt.......

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hyelite, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Hyelite

Hyelite The prius and the cat/dog on the beach

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

I've tried to search for this problem but no one seems to have come across it. I had the tires rotated yesterday and since then the key fob seems to not be "talking" to the car. I have to manually press the unlock/lock buttons on the FOB and to start the car I have to put the FOB in the start slot. I tried to turn on/off the immobilizer button under the steering wheel and nothing. I replaced FOB battery earlier this year.
    The temperatures have dropped to the 20's at night, which triggered the low air pressure light for the tires and also caused my headlight to stop working. I don't know that there is a connection but the headlight seems to stop working when it gets cold but if I juggle the right combination of wires, it comes back on - usually -

Help! I"m really frustrated right now!!

2. RobertK

RobertK Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check the SKS switch under the steering column. It is next to the TPMS reset button. Whoever rotated your tires probably tried to reset the TPMS and turned off the SKS instead of/in addition to resetting the TPMS. You should make sure that your tire pressures are where you want them and reset the TPMS so you'll be sure that it was done correctly.

3. Hyelite

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did that

4. Hyelite

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did check that, turned it off and on several times. I also tried with the other key FOB and it is the same problem

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Check the tire air pressure when cold, and fill as needed.
    2. Replace the battery now, on both fobs.
    3. Exactly what combination of wires is being juggled to make the headlights come on? Do you have HID or halogen headlights? (Hint: if you have fog lights then you have HID.)

6. Hyelite

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No fog lights and while I can replace the FOB battery, neither FOB works with the remote entry system. I have to press the lock/unlock button, then put the FOB in the ignition slot so this tells me that it isn't the battery so much as a "communication' problem between the FOB and the sensors

7. Hyelite

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    oh, as for the headlight wires, well, I'm not sure. I can't see under that part but what someone does is reach under the head light unit and jiggle whatever wires are there. I'm going to try to see what it is but it's a mystery that has stumped multiple people for several years. It happens when it turns cold it seems

8. Hyelite

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  9. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The switch under the dash is an ON/OFF control of the car transmitter that repeatedly says "is my fob out there?".

The battery in the fob powers both the receiver for that query, plus the fob transmitter that works the fob keys and the query reply. So it sounds like something is wrong with the car transmitter. It's somehow disabled - probably by the wiring to and/or the switch under the dash.

You should also check for the red LED coming ON when you press a fob button - if it doesn't, then the fob battery is low.

10. Hyelite

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    updates: I pushed the SKS button with the FOB in my hand and presto! It now works. I know I did this multiple times yesterday with another person there reading the instructions and nothing changed. I also took the battery out of one of the FOB's but didn't change it, just let it sit without a battery for a bit.

11. Hyelite

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Now for the low beam going out........... no idea, it is only the driver side and seems to only happen when the winter temps arrive.

12. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the high beam on the driver's side also goes out at the same time as the low beam, the ground wire to that headlight is the issue.

If not, then replace the headlight as it appears the low beam filament within is flaky.

13. Hyelite

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hmm, well today both low beams went out so I'm suspecting a fuse but I'm not 100% that it is a fuse given the odd behavior. Making an appointment with my mechanic tomorrow. I still think it's something that the cold causes but I'm not sure what the "it" is