1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid vehicles threaten commuters' trip in the fast lane

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Arroyo, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Arroyo

Arroyo Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hybrid vehicles threaten commuters' trip in the fast lane

By Brian Westley / Associated Press
    Friday, July 8, 2005

ARLINGTON, Va. - Instead of crawling out of bed at 4 a.m. to beat the morning rush, Frank Murphy sleeps late these days. He says he owes it all to his hybrid car - and a law that has some of his fellow commuters upset.

Drivers of the environmentally friendly cars are allowed to cruise solo in Virginia's car pool lanes, slicing Murphy's daily two-hour commute in half. And since buying a hybrid 18 months ago, Murphy is leaving his home as much as three hours later.

"The quality of life has gone up tremendously," he said.

But Murphy's joy is a source of irritation for his co-worker, Kristine Johnson, who does not own a hybrid. To travel in the car pool lane, she lingers at a commuter lot until two strangers agree to ride with her.

The inconvenience pays off less than it used to: Johnson complains that hybrids are making car pool lanes as congested as regular lanes.

"It's not fair," Johnson said. "In the afternoon it's all hybrids around me. I used to be able to go home in 30 minutes. Now it takes 45."

So goes the debate between Virginia's car-poolers and hybrid owners. Lawmakers say the hybrid rule wasn't meant to clog the car pool lanes, but to encourage people to buy the cars, which run on a low-polluting combination of electricity and gasoline.

Normally, the federal government would withdraw highway money from a state that gave hybrids commuter-lane privileges. But Virginia has a special waiver while Congress considers allowing the states to make their own rules for hybrids. Arizona, California, Colorado, Georgia and Florida are poised to move ahead with similar incentives if the Senate passes a long-delayed highway bill.

California Assemblywoman Fran Pavley wrote legislation to open her state's car pool lanes to single-occupant hybrids. She said the bill contains "numerous safeguards" to avoid replicating Virginia's woes.

For example, California's Department of Motor Vehicles would limit the number of hybrids in the commuter lanes by issuing only 75,000 special decals. State transportation officials would review the law periodically, and it would only apply to hybrids that get at least 45 miles per gallon.

Brian D. Taylor, director of UCLA's Institute of Transportation Studies, argues against linking hybrids with car pool lanes, which he says exist for an unrelated purpose: taking cars off the road.

"It would be sort of like saying you should allow nurses and school teachers to exceed the speed limit because they contribute positive things to society," Taylor said.

Joe Waldman, general manager of northern Virginia's Landmark Honda, said officials should not be so quick to blame crowded car pool lanes on hybrids. He noted that solo drivers in regular vehicles continue to violate the rules, despite stepped-up enforcement and a new state law doubling some fines to as much as $1,000 for a fourth offense.

But Virginia Department of Transportation spokeswoman Joan Morris said, "Even if we got rid of all the violators tomorrow, we'd still have a capacity problem."

In April 2003, about 2,500 hybrid drivers in Virginia registered their cars and asked for "clean fuel" license plates, allowing them to use the car pool lanes, Morris said. By May of this year, the number had more than tripled _ to about 9,000.

Meanwhile, Murphy, the Virginia hybrid owner, continues to sleep late, while Virginia transportation officials consider compromises such as letting hybrids use the lanes only at times when traffic is less congested.

Murphy said it would be ridiculous to end the hybrid exemption altogether, but agrees something's got to give.

"I do have to admit, there are a lot of (hybrids) out there," he said.

Virginia Department of Transportation: http://www.virginiadot.org

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0...auto-241589.htm

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting. Perhaps reduced rates for downtown parking would be better (although that doesn't reduce the problem of fewer vehicles but does help to reduce pollution downtown where high-rises block air flow).

3. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Even though I have a Prius, my sympathy's with the non-hybrid drivers.

4. tbstout2

tbstout2 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Re: Hybrid vehicles threaten commuters' trip in the fast lan

While it’s true that with the advent of hybrid cars the amount of cars on the HOV lanes has increased over the last two years, I offer this observation; on a typical drive to the Springfield exit at 7:30 AM I count 15 law enforcement vehicles, 9 hybrids, 12 violators and the rest are carpoolers and busses. The road is NEVER crowded at this time of day. The drive home at 5:00 is more crowded with hybrids then in the mornings, yet there is a proportionate increase in all other vehicles – especially law enforcement vehicles and violators.

I take issue with a couple of observations mentioned; first, the law enforcement vehicles (allowed on the HOV lanes IF they are "on duty"). These cars can’t ALL be on duty! They’re often just older mid-size Chevy sedans that have one antenna mounted on the trunk – and a blue light on the rear shelf (I even saw a Chevy Cavalier once). In addition, if they are truly law enforcement, they should obey the traffic laws more so then everyone else. I see these folks zipping in and out of traffic without turn signals all the time.

Secondly, the hybrid vehicles that get below 35 MPG should not enjoy the clean fuel exemption that a 50 MPG plus car receives. My old car got 34 MPG! Granted, the hybrid SUV’s probably have better emissions, but not by much.

Lastly, ANY hybrid that is zooming down the road is negating the entire reason for the clean fuel exemption. I can honestly say that most of my hybrid brothers and sisters are doing respectable speeds (I know that it’s MY goal to squeeze out as much MPG as possible – 58 being my best on the combined city/hwy). Going back to the SUV hybrids, I noticed a Ford Escape hybrid traveling on my bumper in the right lane the other day. She eventually sped around me and was changing lanes often at a high-rate of speed. My point is that she not only doesn’t get a decent "hybrid MPG", but she makes it worse by driving too fast.

In conclusion, when determining the new HOV laws for hybrids, please consider the points I’ve attempted to make in my letter.

* Only hybrids with an excess of 35 MPG
    * Speeding fines doubled for hybrids
    * Re-evaluate the law enforcement vehicles allowed on the road (it’s not a private road for the FBI and off-duty police)
    * HOV-2 for hybrids?
    * Certain hours for hybrids?

I feel strongly that the HOV lanes MUST remain clear of traffic, yet the high-MPG, low emissions hybrid cars make so much sense in an area where pollution is very often un-acceptable.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Danny said it well some time ago:
    The HOV lanes are designed to decrease the number of vehicles on the road. By allowing hybrids to drive solo, you are increasing or maintaining the number of vehicles on the road.

Increasing: People who used to carpool buy a hybrid and now drive in the HOV lane. One car turns into two.

Maintaining: People who have always driven solo trade in their car to buy a hybrid. One car remains one car.

As far as environmental and vehicle considerations, the carpoolers are far more aware than the solo hybrid driver. Four people in a car averaging 20MPG is still better than one person in a car averaging 50MPG. Now if we couuld just get everyone to carpool in hybrids. . .

6. prius04

prius04 New Member

Personally, I think hybrids can do a lot to help the USA and the world postpone "peak oil". However, we need to switch over pretty quickly for hybrids to have any real affect.

To me, the HOV lane issue helps to promote hybrids so this is a good thing. But I also think it wise to limit that HOV use to REAL hybrids that make a feal difference in pollution and MPG.

However, density of vehicles is also important, so I like the way California has limited it. Thus, I think it's a good thing that REAL hybrids can use the HOV lane like this, but it should be limited, and absolutely TIME limited. NO more than 5 years and then go back to the 3 person limit.

And in the article above, it cites a woman who, ostensibly due to hybrids in the HOV lane, its now a 45 minute commute up from 30. 15 minutes out of her life. This sound to me like the downside of this law is trivial.

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I personally don't think there should be HOV lanes at all. That asphalt has been paid for with taxpayers dollars, funded with gas tax money and maintained with gas tax money. As such some butt in the seat of a bus isn't paying his/her proportion of the cost of maintaning or building them. Two people in a diesel Excursion isn't a good way to reduce polution but they get to use the HOV lane leagly. Here they're called the Green Lane. ya right. green my a**.

8. NCPrius

NCPrius Junior Member

I thought the main goal of HOV lanes was to reduce the number of cars in order to reduce pollution emissions in heavily-populated urban areas. Doesn't the average solo-driven hybrid vehicle help achieve that goal as much as the average gas-engined vehicle with two occupants?

9. taaustin

taaustin New Member

I'd say go for it... encouraging more drivers to buy these hyper-efficient cars can not possibly be a bad thing for the environment.

Thus speaks the man who was almost run down yesterday by a teenager in a very big, very red 3/4 ton Dodge-Ram-Dual-Rear-Wheel monstrosity. The kid was driving solo, with massive thumping bass stereo and talking on the cell phone (gods know how he heard the conversation) while eating a big fat burger and steering with one elbow.

Dang, I just love living in Texas!

Terry

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok i see it coming like a runaway freight train.

increased taxes to account for the money needed to pay for the "single Hybrid" lane.

hehehe

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hence "HOV" Lane. They've stepped away from calling it a bus lane for fear of backfire. e.g. The No.3 Rd bus lane. All that's good for is the B-Line. The regular busses use the road we use. What's the point in that? The bus lane is empty half the time. They should make it so that during rush hours, it's a bus lane (e.g 7-9am, 3-6pm) but regular folk can use it at other times. I personally am in favour of HOV lanes. I see so many cars with single occupants it makes me wonder, there must be some way to get people to carpool or have people pick them up.

12. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Primary purpose of HOV lanes is to reduce TRAFFIC & congestion. Hybrids don't reduce either.

You can purchase a non-hybrid SULEV/PZEV vehicle that emits the same amount of pollutants as a Prius, some with great gas mileage, but they're not allowed in the carpool lanes. Congested cities aren't going to be able to add more lanes or new roads - everyone by themselves in Hybrid vehicles isn't going to help traffic or congestion. Just burn less gas while we all sit in traffic all day long.

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    sorry but if you have to burn more gas to go the same distance then you are emitting more polutants

14. prius04

prius04 New Member

Actually, I think the reason for the HOV lanes is even more encompassing than this.

To really get a handle on why they exist, you would need to poll each politician that was involved at the time they were funded. Each had their own reasons but I think they all came down to this: The HOV lanes exist to improve commerce and to improve the quality of our lives, and the quality of the city experience.

Traffic, congestion, parking limitations in the city, as well as air quality and gas usage are all factors in that equation. And of course the hybrid does nothing about the first 3, but they do the last 2. Hence, they are justifiable, IMHO.

But not forever, only as a way to encourage the sale and expansion of hybrids. 5 years tops, and if hybrids break the 10% barrier before that, then 2 or 3 years. But if, heaven forbid, they don't catch on in significant numbers in 5 years, then the hybrid had their shot, and should lose the HOV privilege.

15. NCPrius

NCPrius Junior Member

By that reasoning, motorcycles should never have been allowed into the HOV lanes. What's THEIR justification? Most states don't allow lane-sharing, so congestion isn't it. Some states don't allow motorcycles to share parking spaces (cuts down on revenue, you see), so that's not it. Many parking structures don't even allow motorcycles into them, let alone share spaces within, so that's not it.

What's left from your list? Reduced gas usage and lower emissions.

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    HOV were created to motivate more people to ride the bus. that didnt happen

so they allowed carpools to motivate mroe car pooling. that didnt happen.

now they had to let some other people on. so they allowed hybrids. that happened because in this world its easier to compromise than it is to live and commute together

17. tbstout2

tbstout2 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III

I'm PRO hybrid in the HOV (see earlier post). However, to dispel the myths about the "bus lanes" here is a fact: the HOV lanes, with the buses, car poolers and "slugs" (those who stand around and wait for others to pick them up so that they can use the HOV lanes) carry more people than any of the Metrorail lines out of Virginia in to D.C. Therefore, those lanes must remain clear of congestion so that it's worth the efforts.

On motorcycles: the Prius gets better milage than most motorcycles - with less emotions - and they take up as much room as a car.

I actually was part of a carpool - which was no easy trick. To find 3 people that lived in the same area that worked at the same business in an industrial park where NO buses drove to. It worked well as long as 2 of us were willing to overlook the constant lateness of the 3rd.

Keep the HOV exemption for hybrids until it's necessary to stop it. BUT, as a last resort since the hybrids offer so many benefits.

18. HighMPG

HighMPG New Member

I'll be honest, :oops: I purchased my Prius in order to use HOV as a solo driver. My commute time from Woodbridge VA to Alexandria has been cut in half. From a nightmarish 1.5 hours on some occasions, to a stress reducing 30 minutes. I tried carpooling services and "slugging" websites, but not many people go into Alexandria from Woodbridge.

My understanding is the traffic tie-ups in HOV occur as you near DC on 395 (near the Pentagon). I get off HOV in Springfield, way before that problem area and traffic is moving nicely as I jump onto 495 towards the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. IMHO I'm not contributing to the traffic tie ups, but I'm sure others may disagree.

19. #1prius

#1prius New Member

Cedaredge, Colorado/ Cabo San Lucas, B.C.S. MX

I think people need to think more enviormentally friendly or our world is going to go to shit. So stop wining about the advantage of being enviormentally friendly. So just stop with the dam child retaliation of taking away our," hybrid owners" advandtages...

This is redicualus....

Trey Bohon

20. fordan

fordan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NCPrius\";p=\"106035)</div>
    Per the US DoT:

Why are motorcycles allowed in some HOV lanes?

Motorcycles are permitted by federal law to use HOV lanes, even with only one passenger. The rationale behind allowing motorcycles to use HOV lanes is that it is safer to keep two-wheeled vehicles moving than to have them travel in start-and-stop traffic conditions. States can choose to override this provision of federal law, if they determine that safety is at risk.

I personally think that single occupant Priuses shouldn't be allowed into HOV lanes, since they don't meet both of the goals of HOV lanes, but I can understand why other feel differently.