1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HybridAutomotive.com Charger Impressions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by edthefox5, Jul 12, 2016.

1. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi-
    Installed my charger from Hybrid the other day. General impression is it works pretty good.

First of all I got a nice discount on shipping being a PC member. Thanks Jeff!

Its a bit of a job installing the charging harness yourself if you decide to diy it. I'm kind of diy and tackled it myself. Its alot of work down here at 94 degree's and after a few hours taking the back end of the car apart soon feels like 104. But it was worth it to me as I used that opportunity to open the battery box to install an Inverter harness right off the hybrid battery with hopes of buying a 200 volt inverter down the road.
    I can say unequivocally if you do the first charger test they recommend and all the fans do not come on you have an issue. The charger fan...the controller box fan...and the car's battery fan should come on instantly at full power. If so...proceed. If not call them.

The first charge I did was somewhat brief. About 12 hours and went poorly. You want to make the first charge at least 24 hours so it has a chance to balance the pack. The 12 hour charge really accomplished nothing. Whats weird and tends to throw you off is the external charge your applying is not recognized by the software. I mean that if you park the car with one purple bar and do a 12 hour charge to it when you start the car it will still be at one purple bar which makes you second guess yourself. What did I do wrong? I did not notice any improvement either.

So a week later I did a 20 hour charge. I parked the car with one purple bar. My battery spends alot of time lately with one purple bar. The charger started out at 222 volts @ 337 Ma's. It slowly over the next 12 hours crept up to 238 volts but the Ma's never changed. Once it hit the 238 volts it never moved so I knew it was in the balance stage. I left it there for another 8 hours. Whats weird is the Ma's never decrease. I would think it would as the pack is becoming balanced and becoming full and drawing less current but it never changed.
    It must be where the software is set to limit the current to 338 Ma's.

I fired the car up after 20 hours. I was disappointed that it was still at one purple bar because at that time I still had not realized the software will not recognize an external charge.. But as I drove it quickly became charged to 6 blue bars. And stayed there! I immediately noticed how much better the car felt and how much more power it has. Much smoother. I had regained alot of battery power. The car now spends most of its time at 6 Blue bars. Not less not more...just always at 6 Blue bars. It rarely goes to green. And it recovers really fast from one purple. My mileage went from 39 to 46 in my mixed town and highway commute.. The car EV's effortlessly now and overall it's a major improvement in battery participation. The engine stopped making that CAI bog sound when I accelerate hard. The car just goes now.

It works really well so far. Great product.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should always disconnect the 12v so the soc memory is erased. The car seems great after the balance and after a month, you'll notice the old habits coming back. But still better than before you balanced

3. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We agree, if hybrid battery reconditioning is only done once and never repeated, the benefits will be temporary. This is why performing individual battery module replacement with hobby chargers is such a bad idea. Hybrid Battery reconditioning is not a one time event.

If hybrid battery reconditioning is done regularly as a structured maintenance program, the benefits can and normally do last for many years. The benefit clock is 'reset' every few months when the battery is charged & balanced or reconditioned. This is why the key value add of our products is that they allow for unlimited easy at-home battery reconditioning for the rest of the life of the vehicle. This key difference is why our customers can expect to and regularly do achieve significant long term benefit from using our products. Here is more information:
    How frequently should I use the Prolong Battery Charger Discharger on my hybrid battery? - Hybrid Automotive

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    To do a clock "reset" of the battery, does the battery need to be discharged every few months or just charged and balanced?

5. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Both, but to different degrees. A charge/balance does deliver a benefit that will last for a while, just like what Ed ( the OP) is experiencing now. Performing a full reconditioning treatment will deliver a bigger benefit that lasts a much longer while.

We recommend reconditioning aged healthy packs twice a year, and performing a charge balance every three months. This service schedule has been working very well for our customers.

JC91006 likes this.
  6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A charge balance would still be necessary every 3 months even if techstream shows the pack is in perfect balance?

jeff652 likes this.
  7. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes. Both cell balance and cell capacity are benefited by occasional pack reconditioning. It might not need to be every three months, but even if the pack is in good balance, minimizing the 'memory effect' of voltage depression and keeping as much active material as possible will benefit both battery pack performance and longevity. The sooner one starts using our products to perform preventative maintenance on their battery, the longer the increase in battery life they can expect to achieve.
    :)

8. kinglew

kinglew Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    What proof do you have to your claim ???

Baje likes this.
  9. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here you go:
    Show me proof! Before and After tests - Hybrid Automotive

We have sold thousands of our systems to Prius and Honda owners. They work very well. There are many third party reviews including the OP of this thread. In addition to our testing, others have done before and after testing as well. We have hundreds of reviews from very satisfied customers on eBay, on our Facebook page, and on Amazon.

:)

10. kinglew

kinglew Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I am ask about I
    I see no independent lab tests results confrim your claims

11. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Independent Techstream testing not enough for you? It's the first sentence under the link we provided, but here is the direct link in case you missed it:
    Independent Techstream Testing - Hybrid Automotive

How many times do you have to read "it works, my car is significantly improved" from our customers before you become convinced? 50 testimonials? 100? We can show you several hundred if that you help. No matter how much tangible evidence we provide, some people are going to claim it's not enough. When a company has a product that changes the paradigm and disrupts the status quo, this is expected. :)

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ridiculous isn't it Jeff? I see this alot on car forums people will recommend something myself included and so many people come on and say its crap, it will ruin your car, doesn't work, and they have no experience with it and haven't heard of it before. I don't get it.

I come on forums to learn and hear about new products.

Anyway, I have been charging my car up every weekend for the last month, Its very painless and easy once you install the harness and starting to see much improved battery behavior. Not going into one purple bar half as fast as it was and recovers to 2 or 3 blue much faster and have averaged improvement from 40 to 45 mpg's. The battery balance really helps. Only wish that I had installed the load test harness instead
    as I would like to try that next.
    Thanks!

offib and jeff652 like this.
  13. kinglew

kinglew Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    [QUinTE="jeff652, post: 2394922, member: 120798"]Independent Techstream testing not enough for you? It's the first sentence under the link we provided, but here is the direct link in case you missed it:
    Independent Techstream Testing - Hybrid Automotive

How many times do you have to read "it works, my car is significantly improved" from our customers before you become convinced? 50 testimonials? 100? We can show you several hundred if that you help. No matter how much tangible evidence we provide, some people are going to claim it's not enough. When a company has a product that changes the paradigm and disrupts the status quo, this is expected. :)[/QUOTE]
    No I

14. kinglew

kinglew Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    sorry to say i am very knowledgeable with grid charger my neighbor has a hybrid charger also my brother bought one from venice hybrid. i also built one all three had poor results on 8 different prius

15. kinglew

kinglew Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    show me a independent lab data otherwise i believe it a wallet wallet flush in my opinion

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you'd be much better off just buying a rebuilt dorman, and no, i don't work for them.:cool:

dolj likes this.
  17. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Before conditioning, my pack would go green bars at the drop of a hat (no hills here) but now it takes a lot of regen from high speeds to get into the green from full blue bars. Car stays in blue longer too. (y)

edthefox5 likes this.
  18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So here I am about 2 months down the road charging my Hybrid battery about every 2 weeks overnight. Just in the last 2 charges my battery has really turned the corner. Almost no purple bars during the day and the battery stays very solid 3-4 blue bars and then when I do my commute its solid blue bars. And the car feels really good.
    When the battery is soft the car is a dog. Its a pleasure to drive the car when the hybrid battery is happy.

I highly recommend anyone approaching 100K miles on your G2 to buy this system as it works. This is the very simple charger only.
    I recently bought the re-conditioning system but see no need at this time as my battery has shown almost new performance.

It takes a bunch of balancing attempts to straighten the battery out. It may be because I have not been ale to leave the charger on more than 15 hours but very very pleased with what I am seeing so far.

19. offib

offib Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I've been itching to invest in the HA charger. I heard that jeff was going to bring out a plug-in play cable for the fan, but it ain't here. The discharging process also puts me off. I don't have more than 2 days to rub together.

I've got a 2007 with almost 145,000 miles, but the Irish/UK weather has been kind to it in ways. It's always in the blue and only heavy traffic makes it turn purple. It seems like it's in good health, but I can hardly get past 20 - 25km/h on EV mode (no button), around 4 - 3 bars, the engine is on the instant I press the throttle. It only really stays in EV mode at 5-6 bars and up after a long hill or coming off the motorway.
    So, I have no idea about the health, but can get +60 mpg once the engine warms up after 3 miles.

I was certain that a discharge process was needed, definitely for weak batteries, but I'm on the fence if mine needs the full package or just the balancing.

jeff652 likes this.
  20. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    All Toyota orders will ship with PnP harnesses starting next Monday (11/14/2016) at the latest. Some already are. We haven't announced it formally yet because we want to get at least a week of shipments into the field with them and ensure all our inventory is turned before promoting.

For a 2007 with 145k miles, I would definitely recommend the full recon package. Even if you only have to use the discharger one or two times per year, it will deliver a much better result than charging alone.

offib and m.wynn like this.