1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybridbatterydoc on Ebay: too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MoHAlixPr, Apr 4, 2017.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, your hypermiling has nothing to do with it. there's no way to drive it that can hurt the battery.

2. timmyjane

timmyjane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It seems odd that you have gone through so many batteries with so few miles. 4 batteries with 180k miles is a lot. Anyone else experience anything like this?

3. PointCounterPt

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks bisco, I think what I meant to write re: hypermiling was that I was wondering if my lack of constant braking, i.e. less regenerative power, is a factor. Do you still think no?

timmyjane: What I'm not sure if I mentioned is that I replaced them with salvaged batteries. The first one lasted at least 4 years and I have no idea how many miles were already on it when I got it. The second one was a reconditioned battery that had just been placed in a car that was wrecked immediately after it. The battery had 100-200 miles on it when I put it in.

I think my battery almost bit this dust this afternoon. I barely made it home, had almost no power, and the vent fan was running the entire time. –And I live only 10 minues from work. This sort of changes things.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    still no, toyota has seen to it that you can't damage the battery. once you start using salvage and rebuilt batteries, all bets are off. there's no way to know how long they will last, and are only as good as the warranty, and the company standing behind it.

5. PointCounterPt

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wanted to report back that my car has been operational now for three days, thanks to forum member, TMR-JWAP.

I bought a battery from him that he had outfitted with Gen3 cells from a very low mileage 2015 Prius. He drove 6.5 miles to install it for me, was exactly on time, properly estimated the length of time for installation, and gave me a 3-year warranty–for $1200. Oh and he tested the battery in his car for a few days, where he averaged 54.1 MPH and continued testing it during the drive to my house.

I was hesitant at first, given that he isn't local and that I didn't know him, but I got a very good feeling speaking to him by phone and decided to do it. The entire experience was fantastic and I promised him that I would write a review posting after I'd driven with the battery for a while. What I will say now is that this is a bettery battery than the original in terms of power. I noticed the difference immediately when we took the car for a test drive.

He's already checked in to make sure that everything is ok and has promised to be in touch again by the weekend as well.

I will also be buying a Prolong Charger for this battery.

#25 PointCounterPt, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good to hear.

Good idea to get a prolong charger with any used battery pack.