1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrids are done. Nobody cares anymore

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by naterprius, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Mirza

Mirza New Member

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, duh.

While there will be fast and slow periods, I don't think the demand for hybrids will cease or even slow down to the point Toyota would consider not making them. There will ALWAYS be a demand. There may not always be a waiting list, but they will not stay on the lots as long as ICE cars. (BTW I notice the Ford used car lot is full of SUVs, big trucks and a Hummer or two.)

I think you're spot on. I think like any other car....people hold off when they know a new "model" is coming out. In this case, people considering a hybrid are waiting for the Camry. And people who are not an entranced with the Prius are considering the new Camry Hybrid.

My parents said they'd never consider a hybrid as their next car. They are Cadillac people. Have owned them for years. But my Dad is done with Caddys and GM and wants a Lexus as his next car. They can't afford a new car yet, they have to remodel the kitchen this year. My Mother is concerned about the cost of a Lexus. I todl her you can get a "Lexus" for a lot less by buying a Toyota, possibly a fully loaded Camry. It might not have everything but then is that worth an extra $10,000? My Dad is concerned with prestige, my Mother with money.

Well, I brought it up again last night. There was a commercial on TV or something. I told her the dealers were taking orders for the new hybrid Camry right now and that it would be on the lots in May. It had leather seats, heated seats (she is big on heat and leather) and Navigation. Everything she would want if it was the fully loaded package. She asked about price and all I could tell her was that the fully loaded Camry was less than the fully loaded Prius. I hope I got that right; I could have sworn I read that here somewhere. But I know it wouldn't cost as much as a fully loaded Lexus or Cadillac.

I know she's starting to think about it. She loves the way my car drives. I think it is too funky looking for her. But I think she would be perfectly happy in a Camry. It's smaller than a Cadillac, but they don't need the room they used to. And she is the one concerned about gas. Every time I go over there there is at least one conversation about the price of gas. They have to put premium in the Caddy or it knocks. They just had to put $400 into the engine. And the car was just hit so there's a pending small claims court action against the other driver because he lied to his insurance company and they didn't pay for all of the damage he caused.

They won't buy a car this year. But they will within a few years. And I think the longer they wait, the more my Mom is going to be open to a Camry hybrid. She says she goes with what my Dad decides. But I think as the price of gas goes up, he'll be a little more open as well. He knows Toyota builds quality and he loves a good bargain. I know I can convince him that the Toyota Camry is like getting a bargain Lexus. He doesn't need the name or the little things the Lexus has that the Camry doesn't for how much it will cost him. It is it really worth an extra $10,000 to have an automatic memory on the seat adjustment? I don't think so.

I told my Mom the Camry comes in this really beautiful dark blue called Blue Ribbon Pearl.

I know she's thinking about it.

3. Mirza

Mirza New Member

The second-generation Prius, equipped with Toyota's new gasoline-electric hybrid system, is now the auto maker's third-best selling passenger car in the United States, and its runaway success has convinced some rivals such as Ford Motor Co. to follow Toyota's lead into the hybrid market.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/06/02/112592.html

Total units of Prius sold in the US, from launch through Dec 05: 228,591
    mon yr sales cYTD
    Dec 05 9,027 107,897
    Nov 05 7,889 98,870
    Oct 05 9,939 90,981
    Sep 05 8,193 81,042
    Aug 05 9,850 72,849
    Jul 05 9,691 62,999
    Jun 05 9,622 53,308
    May 05 9,461 43,686
    Apr 05 11,345 34,225
    Mar 05 10,236 22,880
    Feb 05 7,078 12,644
    Jan 05 5,566 5,566

There ya go.

Not the third best selling this past month, or February or January '06, but the fact is true nonetheless in '05.

4. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Apr 13 2006, 01:55 PM) [snapback]239288[/snapback]</div>
    I get your point. It has been a great move for Toyota on many fronts. It was actually the fourth best passenger car model behind the Camry, corolla and the matrix, not to mention about 5 truck models. I am glad you love your Prius so much.

5. Mirza

Mirza New Member

I get yours too. I'm glad you support GM so much, I know I wouldn't want the hassle of dealing with GM vehicles.

But nonetheless the point remains, if you look at the link. That was a quote from autochannel.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Apr 13 2006, 03:02 PM) [snapback]239295[/snapback]</div>

6. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Apr 13 2006, 02:07 PM) [snapback]239299[/snapback]</div>
    Have you ever owned a GM vehicle?

Here is link to the ytd totals for 2005:

http://www.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA411216.PDF

7. Mirza

Mirza New Member

"It's not as if the Prius needs extra exposure to boost sales. The car quickly has become the Toyota brand's third best-selling model, behind the Toyota Camry and Corolla."

8. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Apr 13 2006, 02:09 PM) [snapback]239301[/snapback]</div>
    I am sure that it was the number 3 selling passenger car for a few months during 2005, but I don't think it has ever been the third best selling model for Toyota overall.

9. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Not me, but my family once had a Chrysler Town & Country.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Apr 13 2006, 03:09 PM) [snapback]239300[/snapback]</div>

10. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    malorn, you state that "My point is that Prius owners as a whole are far from the average slice of Americana, both in numbers and in demographics."

You also mention that "art communities" and "environmental" cities are the Prius buyers.

You don't get it, do you? These aren't the only people who are buying these cars. It's way beyond critical mass at this point. The masses are interested in hybrids. The masses are leaving GM. GM thinks that they just need better marketing when in fact they need completely different vehicles.

Nate

11. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Apr 13 2006, 02:13 PM) [snapback]239303[/snapback]</div>
    So how do you know you would have nothing but problems with a GM vehicle?

12. Mirza

Mirza New Member

To be fair, there was actually nothing wrong w/ the Chrysler.... we bought it used... but I don't think it lasted as long as our Toyota vehicles.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Apr 13 2006, 03:14 PM) [snapback]239305[/snapback]</div>

It's what I hear from friends and family - anecdotal. Not evidence per se, but I've heard enough about the reliability of GM cars and from those who have gotten Japanese cars over domestic ones to suspect that the reliability and quality isn't as good.

Look, I'll get to the point and stop screwing around and 'beating the bush.'

I personally have NOTHING against GM cars themselves... what I do have a problem with is GM employees mouthing the Prius and hybrid cars.

13. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Apr 13 2006, 02:14 PM) [snapback]239304[/snapback]</div>
    Beyond critical mass? 1.5+ million vehicles sold in the US in March how many were hybrids? less than 12,000. That is is .8 percent. That is roughly half the amount of Buicks sold in March. Would that qualify as vehicles for the masses? You may be right in the future but you may be wrong.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Apr 13 2006, 02:19 PM) [snapback]239307[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not a GM employee.

14. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Apr 13 2006, 02:14 PM) [snapback]239304[/snapback]</div>
    The president of the U.S. told me to drive a hybrid. Karl Rove says we should drive hybrids. The military is looking into hybrids. Mass transportation is moving towards hybrids. Delivery companies are moving towards hybrids. I'm sure there are a few other flaky hippy tree-hugging environmental whack-jobs. Even those who aren't completely interested in hybrids are looking into other advanced technologies: Nissan with CVT and Chevy with Flex Fuel.

GM?

15. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Apr 13 2006, 02:21 PM) [snapback]239312[/snapback]</div>
    Chevy is part of GM.

16. Mirza

Mirza New Member

GM fans, lovers, employees, whatever... but the fact is that GM pundits tend to bash the Prius - the symbol of Toyota innovation, and the automaker that will surpass GM this year (or is said to supposed to). Whatever... but if some GM fan comes onto PRIUSchat and mouthes hybrids they better expect GM will be bashed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Apr 13 2006, 03:20 PM) [snapback]239311[/snapback]</div>

17. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    "People will NOT pay an extra $3-4000 for a hybrid system which will improve their mpg by 5-15%."
    Uh-oh, looks like the GM hybrids may have trouble selling.

18. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Apr 13 2006, 02:22 PM) [snapback]239314[/snapback]</div>
    Egg on my face.

19. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Point taken.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Apr 13 2006, 03:13 PM) [snapback]239302[/snapback]</div>

20. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I think one of the most hilarious "hybrid" concepts is a pick up truck for which the engine "shuts off at traffic lights..." :lol: