1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrids Aren't So Rare Any Longer

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Southern Dad, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Couple weeks back I parked my Prius next to a Prius that was...you guessed it, parked next to a Prius. Somebody in my hood finally got one in the last couple months. I don't know anybody personally who owns one other than a person at work, but I do see a ton of prii around now.
    You'd notice, even if you don't think now you would. They do look different enough to stand out, not bad looking IRL.

2. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess I have never seen one then.

I wonder how long it will take? Any bets on seeing a plug in Prius before (especially since I plan on getting one)?

3. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There is a Volt somewhere around where I live. I see it sometimes. I guess it is in the shop other times (okay! I was making fun of Chevy, relax). I see more and more Prii though, parked in the neighborhood and tooling around here, and on my commute to DC. I usually see 20 Prii on my commute (I count them) in 40 miles. Many parked in DC, now, too. So this is a good thing.

Some of the people I work with drive gigantic 4wd Pick Ups to work, BUT, they are required to be at work in the worst weather, so there are people in the city who do actually need their gigantor rides. I am glad we are keeping the price of gas low for them.

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I didn't know what it is, but I have a Gen-1-dar that allows me to differentiate between a Prius and Echo.

There are plenty of Gen 2 and 3 Priuses around here. But I was surprised when we were in Bar Harbor on Saturday and I saw a Gen 3 Prius with a Texas plate. I guess they must have been visiting from Austin. ;)

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    In 2004, our Gen II Prius was the only hybrid in our workplace's 8 story parking structure ... which btw holds in excess of 1,200 cars total.

Now that it's 2011? I'd guess there are regularly at least 2 dozen hybrids in our parking structure. And now that it's 2011, it's starting all over again. We now have TWO EV's parkinig in the basement (that's where the recharge spots are) of our parking structure. Here's a shot I took back in march when we 1st got our EV:
    [​IMG]
    The other EV in our structure is a mini cooper ... and I understand that none of the existing ones will actually be sold when their leases expire. Hopefully it won't be too long before our Leaf has company down there in the basement (it gets lonely real easily :p) once their lease expires. Hopefully it won't be long until there's as many EV's and PHEV's ... as there currently are regular hybrids.

6. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Wow, the Leaf looks great in white. Got any "beauty shots" of it posted yet?

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know. Statistically Hybrids are still comparatively rare compared to the ICE vehicle. Toyota has had great success with Prius, so I think it's fare to say a Prius...isn't as unique as it was a decade ago.

It's clear hybrids..and Prius isn't a fad.

I sense a certain amount of almost disapointment.

Well, you can't be new, or unique and succesful forever. Gotta give Toyota credit for marketing and selling and supporting Prius to the extent that we've reached the point where they aren't so "rare".

If you are selling cars...manufacturing cars..you don't want them to be "rare" you want them to be mainstream.

The wave is still cresting. Leafs and Volts are seen in far less quantity, for many more reasons.

There's a million Plus Prius in the world...making them only "rare" in comparison to every other standard ICE vehicle simultaneously in the world.

Here's hoping alternatives continue to become less rare...and maybe someday we are talking about the "strange" people still driving ICE only vehicles.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Just one - in the ssme driveway as our prius shown in our signature:
    you likie?
    [​IMG]

9. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Heck, I even wave to Gen I Insight owners. And Gen I Prius owners. Gen II and III - nope. Too many of them, and they never wave back anyway. I do park next to others of my own kind if its reasonably convenient, I've done that with all the vehicles I've owned.

10. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Very cool plate!

11. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Look at the creases in the hood. The Gen 1 Prius is pretty identifiable from all other small cars this way.