1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrids challenged by regular cars on fuel economy: Washingtonpost.com

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by kgall, Mar 9, 2011.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Hill, interesting reading. We PC'rs forget just how little many AMericans know about fuel economy. The ole 'it's an EPA conspiracy' still has traction on that forum. Fascinating how one guy who is clued in slowly educates the others owners. Anybody think they would listen to us ? ;)

Btw, the angst over there is is due to the consumption meter in the car. This is probably the first time those owners actually *know* what their driving habits incur in fuel consumption penalties.

Ah well, it is not as if we do not have a couple threads a week of the same sort. It's all good -- if a bit pathetic.

2. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This line...

"The new Chevrolet Cruze Eco can reach eye-popping fuel economy levels of more than 50 miles per gallon on the highway, which even in this era of hybrid-electric cars stands among the best."

...is absurd for its generalizing publicity (fuelly shows the 2011 Cruzes so far, though with limited samples, at around 27-28 mpg average). But what's hilarious to me is that it's like advertising the Prius by saying "The new Toyota Prius can reach thyroid-bursting levels of more than 140 mpg." Yes, Wayne Gerdes did it once...

As I recall Wayne got 70 mpg in the Prius on a highway "race" with a reporter once. So hypermiling Cruze at 50 mpg and then Prius at 70 mpg is still 40% better in hybrids. The Cruze does not "stand among the best".

Oy, the "journalist" that wrote this "story" (big day for quotes...)...(and ellipses...)...

3. krelborne

krelborne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm skeptical of both the 50 and the 44. But don't tell WaPo about those EYE-POPPING numbers. :D

4. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree. IMO the premium for the ECO is high & the manual transmission which would suck big time in traffic (not to mention the kind of MPGs you would get in traffic). Combined MPG is not that impressive.

Plus I would still rather get a Fiesta @ 40 mpg hwy. The Fiesta, I believe has an automatic manual or a CVT.

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I wonder how many Cruze owners are Volt wannabees ?

6. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They did all of that and they are only 1highway mpg ahead of the auto trans 2011 Hyundai Elantra.

GM took a step forward with the Cruze, it is a big improvement for them. They beat the Corolla and the current Honda Civic (but not the next one!). The big deal is that Hyundai took TWO steps forward with the 2011 Elantra that gets 40mpg at $15,500.

None of these cars really match the Prius of course. They get half the city mpg.

7. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's another quote from the article, which explains what I think is important--even if the trend won't dethrone the Prius any time soon:

"But the new fuel-efficient gasoline cars, critics say, raise doubts about government efforts that favor any one technology over another. If subsidies are to be made, they argue, they should go to efficient cars, no matter what their power source. Moreover, when the fuel economy of a best-selling gas car is improved even incrementally, it can have much larger effects on the nation's oil consumption than an alternative-technology model that doesn't sell well.
    "Experts expect alternative fuel technologies to take hold eventually, but hybrid cars still represent only about 3 percent of U.S. car and truck sales. And the latest generation of electric plug-in vehicles hit the market only recently.
    "When you take some of the most popular vehicles in the U.S. - say, the Ford F-150 pickup - and improve them by just a few mpg, the effects can add up very quickly," said John DeCicco, a faculty fellow at the Michigan Memorial Phoenix Energy Institute at the University of Michigan. "Much more so than with a niche car."
    "

That's the real point--if this really is a start of a trend towards greater fuel efficiency in all cars, especially those currently quite low in fuel economy--that's a good thing.

Prius is the only hybrid that I think has gotten out of the niche category so far.

1 person likes this.
  8. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's what $4.00 gasoline is for. :)
    You should hear the people at my work that drive SUVs constantly complaining about gas prices. You should hear these idiots complain! What a bunch of a@@holes.
    I hope gas prices go up to $7.00 a gallon. HAAAA!

1 person likes this.
  9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I agree

10. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think we forget that if the Prius were the size of a Cruze, Fiesta or Elantra, it would get 60 mpg.

Come to think of it, the Prius c is this vehicle.

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ fingers crossed

12. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The original Honda Insight got 60mpg. I wonder if Toyota can do as good as that.
    (yes, that is intended as constructive motivation for Toyota)

13. JeffyJosephNorCal

JeffyJosephNorCal Formerly JeffyJosephNCa

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Seriously! When gas was well over $4.00 in 08, I remember driving on highway 99 here in Sacramento and surprised and glad to see everyone driving, *gasp*, the speed limit or lower. Less tension and headaches that year driving...In the back of my head I was selfishly thinking I hope gas goes even higher so my stress level goes to 0! :p

1 person likes this.
  14. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As long as we're talking about discontinued vehicles with funky aerodynamics and rear wheel skirts:

It's ironic, but GM used to be the leader in EV technology. Also green when you consider that lead acid batteries are 100% recyclable.

The middle generation of the EV1 could go 100 miles on 18.4 kWh batteries.

The last generation of the EV1 could go 160 miles on 26.4 kWh NiMH batteries (0.165 kWh per mile) . This is of course, a factor of 2x better than the Volt or Leaf. So even if you say the range is 80 miles, it matches the Volt or Leaf in efficiency.

EV1 Cd = 0.19
    A = 0.36 m^2
    0-60 in 8 seconds

Top speed 80 mph :mad:

A while ago, I remember seeing the same EV1 getting on the freeway.

15. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Eye popping. When the press actually gets a story right, that will make my eyes pop.

16. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My cube mates don't complain, either because they are above complaining about this--a very strange thing because otherwise most of the talk is petty, mostly comic complaining about something--or because they know I'll sit there mostly mute and they probably think I'm laughing inside because I have a Prius (they would be right).
    Although higher gas prices have some benefit insulated from other realms of the economy I believe every recession in the past few decades has been kicked in after an oil spike, which is why many are concerned that if this one gets worse/continues it will double-dip us again. We don't @*#(ing learn, though. Light truck sales recently prove that, people just do not learn.
    Great numbers, but the first gen insight as mentioned did well, too, but is tiny, like the EV1.

17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I can beat the highway in combined driving, so it's probably safe to say I've beaten the city.

Most people could probably beat the easier EPA if they were willing to practice some patience and paid attention to the traffic ahead of them.

18. luckyboy

luckyboy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Maybe not in this country. but in Europe there are small diesels that get more than 50mpg AVERAGE all day long. My 5-door toyota corolla 1.6 turbo diesel consistantly gets 5mpg ore more BETTER mileage than my prius in similar driving conditions (city or highway). Lifetime on the prius is about 47, its 52mpg+ on the corolla (yes, I drive both fairly spiritedly)

19. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, alright, but, how much would the EV1 have cost to make a reasonable roadmap to full production? Also, it was a 2 seater only.

20. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A version of the 91 Honda CRX could get 40/47--those are US gallons, too, on gas. But it was small and slow, like the Corolla you're talking about :)