1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrids, Consumer Reports, Service industry gone down the tubes

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by C Clay, Feb 27, 2023.

1. C Clay

C Clay Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had a 2001 that I loved until it gave me issues. I was looking back over that thread; that was a very trying time. Did that turn out to be a good car? What I thought was odd - in 2013 that thing went through all kind of problems, but it was *still* one of Consumer Reports recommended cars. Now it "doesn't have enough info" or whatever to give it a rating. So do the good folks of Prius chat like Consumer Reports? It's never steering me wrong. I mean- I did buy a 2003 Suburban. But heck, I had twins coming. 5 kids. Needed a people hauler. We had that thing over 13 years. Whatever it needed- I fixed it. Had good mechanics on file- and that was a good thing; because it wasn't without ailments. 3 power window replacements. Fuel Pump went out when it was only about 3-4 years old. Transmission Rebuilt (sounds like that is typical with that age and miles). But when it starting cracking paint really bad (white)- that's when I let her go and got a Highlander. Regret letting that go to this day. I try to live lean- no need in keeping a vehicle you don't drive. But the third question I have is about the service industry. I'm thinking about my Suburban. Anything that happened to it- you took it somewhere. They fixed it. I'm thinking about my two toyotas (2014 Prius and 2012 Highlander), and it occurred to me- the dealer just stopped recommending any services outside of oil changes. Now some of us like that. I can change the filters, I buy my tires somewhere else. Okay- you guys did get me on the brake job! But they just aren't they same anymore. And they probably, like everywhere else, are short on help- and maybe even oem parts with the whole supply chain issues we've had in the last two years. Just a rant here- but wondering what Fred thought about those three things. OH- and if I can ask a fourth question. Seems like 5 years ago there was a crap ton (pardon my language) of hybrid Honda Civics on the market when I was looking for a car for my daughter. Are those any good- really never looked at those hard. Love Honda's, own a 2 owner 2006 ridgeline, but I didn't think (at the time) those hybrids that had 70-100k miles on them were worth touching.

2. Todd Bonzalez

Todd Bonzalez Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    They weren't all that bad but like gen 2 Priuses they're pretty long in the tooth now

How about a 2nd gen Insight?

upload_2023-2-27_21-27-54.png

C Clay likes this.