1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrids could prove costly to the U.S.

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by jkash, Mar 13, 2006.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I had a whole response typed up this afternoon about how the pursuit for inexpensive gasoline, low-priced products, and increased share prices is eating away at America but I deleted it. I felt that it was too "soapbox."

But in the end, we are all playing our part when we buy electronics manufactured overseas, when we make deals with countries we don't trust just to keep the cheap gas flowing, and when we outsource American jobs just to boost the share price. Granted, probably none of us are in direct control of those actions, but through our collective actions, we promote it.

But to single out one particular product and claim that this is the single straw that will break the American camel's back is just plain stupid.

2. jef

jef New Member

Inglewood (Los Angeles county), California
    By then I will have paid an American company to convert my odd little car into an odd little PHEV, keeping its unique standing and making my odd little car a continued investment in environmental technology, high tech innovation and good paying jobs, this time right here in L.A.

3. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <FLAME SHIELD ON>

I have always been against the hybrid tax creidt/deduction. Why help sell a vehicle that is already selling as fast as it can be made. I am against the SUV tax credits, I am against the government giving $ to big oil. But the tax credit is not as bad as it seems....

<FLAME SHEILD OFF>

The tax credit is given to an American, its not sent overseas. True,we need hybrids made in the USA but the gas savings lasts longer then any of these articles give it credit for and stays here. The value of the vehicle stays here longer too, since its so reliable.

Another big factor, I have owned <recently> Toyota stock and currently own Honda. So guess what.... all of the trade deficit the article claims does not go overseas. Some of it is right back in my American pocket.

Others would go so far as to claim since the profit margin on the Prius to Toyota is so small <compared to other Toyota vehicles> and most of the profit is made by the American dealer there is less $ that goes overseas. Hell, you could argue that the USA gains ground on the Honda Insight because the vehicle costs more then $20000 to make. In effect Japan is giving America a few thousand dollars worth of gift for each Insight brought here. No wonder Honda so rarly advertises it.

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

yup Ray it's time to cash in your pension plan and sit back and puzzle out where you at and where your going because the dementia is in full force and unfortunatly your still at the keyboard, that old, maybe the typewriter, and your out of date on your data.

5. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Also, his mug shot was in BW. That shot looks like it was taken in 1958.

6. Frank Hudon

probably was!

7. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The author is an old fart with nothing important to say. His comments made no sense.

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Drive 'em while you got 'em.

9. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is considerable evidence that some people are wacked and base their life on rumors, speculation anything but objective reasoning.

10. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    What's troubling is the a$$hole probably got paid for the article.

11. Frank Hudon

please take the "probably" out of your comment!