1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrids don't make financial sense

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Troy Heagy, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    If you are TRULY trying to save money, hybrids don't make sense. You can buy base model cars from all carmakers that are only 13, 14, or 15 thousand in cost, and yet still get 40mpg on the highway. No hybrid's fuel economy would make-up their ~10,000 dollar premium.

Nissan Versa (sedan or wagon) - 40 mpg
    Mitsubishi Mirage (wagon) - 44 mpg (wow!)
    Chevy Spark (wagon)
    Ford Fiesta
    and on and on and on. All of these cars range in price from $11,800 to ~14,000. You get near-hybrid economy without the huge 10 grand premium pricetag. Let's say I bought the Mirage instead of the Prius. That's $13,000 difference in price and for the prius to recover that cost, I would have to drive over 1 million miles!!! Nuts

Another example:

It makes a LOT more sense to buy a Prius C (or insight) for $19,000 than a standard Prius for $25,000. You save $6000 dollars upfront, and you'd have to drive the standard prius close to 1 million miles to recapture that premium (over the C).

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Troll trying to bait us. Moderator, please eliminate him. :)

cwerdna, Chuck. and rufaro like this.
  3. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've had folks offer me more than 10K for my 2008... what does your ICE motor only car that gets over 40mpg return if traded in.

SOmetimes it's the return on investment that is the deal clincher Bra... just saying.

Soooo... what knid of car is your "other hybrid"...

[​IMG]

Don't quash dissent by eliminating their words Bra... push the facts at them and listen to the crickets.

Zythryn likes this.
  4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just see that posted on here about every week. It gets old.

amm0bob likes this.
  5. amm0bob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

As an old fart myself... I get that...

I just don't think getting old is enough reason to shut me up... or anyone else for that matter, unless they are insulting or inciting a riot... which, as I remember, starts often enough in here... [​IMG]

Have a grand day Bra... and don't take what happens in Fred's personally... after all, that's what Danny made it for. [​IMG]

6. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, who's stopping you?

amm0bob likes this.
  7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not just the hybrid premium, it's the batteries that wear out so quickly, and cost many thousands to replace. To top it all off, even Hummers are better for the environment! ;)

SageBrush and amm0bob like this.
  8. amm0bob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Who doesn't like getting a Hummer...

[​IMG]

ftl likes this.
  9. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Other than 2 or 3 exceptions, no Prius has ever needed a replacement battery.

I never trade-in my cars (hybrid or otherwise). I drive them until they stop moving, so I really don't care about residual value. To me a car is an appliance (like a TV, fridge, DVR, microwave)..... use it until it dies & then junk it for a new appliance/car.

I was merely addressing New cost of a normal car versus a hybrid car. If I was poor or lower income, I would look at the various hybrids which cost around $25,000 and then I would look at the base model Kias, Hyundais, Hondas (Fit) or Toyotas (Yaris). They cost 14-16,000. Those base cars still get 38-42 mpg on the highway and will save a LOT of gasoline, but do it for ten thousand fewer dollars (initial cost).

And no I'm not as "nice person". I am a hybrid owner who happens to speak the inconvenient truth

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey now. Nobody called you an nice person.

I disagree on the 'inconvenient truth' bit. Having a hybrid - a Prius, specifically - has saved me significant amounts of money over the years, and not just in gas. Even after eight years, I haven't yet spent a dime on brakes, for instance. And I get a significant discount on my insurance every year, from a hybrid-friendly insurance company.

With respect to the Prius, this 'hybrid premium' theory has been thoroughly and repeatedly debunked.

Plus, you're not comparing similar vehicles. A $25,000 Prius is a completely different vehicle than a $15,000 Yaris.

If you really want to focus on the cheapest, greenest way to get around, you wouldn't be looking at any type of car. You'd be taking transit, cycling, walking, or working from home.

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Here is another inconvenient truth: most people do not live on, and restrict themselves to, highways only.
    And another: Prius to Yaris is a poor comparison. Yes they are both cars, but so is a Yugo.

fuzzy1 and amm0bob like this.
  12. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have to agree with the op BUT not everyone buys a car to make financial sense.

massparanoia and amm0bob like this.
  13. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I just love it, when I'm in heavy traffic and am in EV mode, while all the others around me a sweating on how much gas they are burning and wasting.

amm0bob likes this.
  14. amm0bob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Especially around here during the holidays... traffic slows and my ICE turns off on the freeway... as long as I don't gun it or use the air cond fan, I can make it almost all the way down Howe Ave without it coming back on.

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ymmv, but T. Heagy is trolling.

E.g.,,
    I wanted a wagon (longer hatchback than a Prius.) Diesels were no cheaper, and other choices get ~ 25 mpg combined EPA fuel economy. Over the ~ 300k miles I expect my Prius vagon to last I will save ~ $24k USD in fuel. Know any alternative choices that are free from the dealer ?

fuzzy1 and amm0bob like this.
  16. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    But we have many many more options for economical vehicles that you just don't get. OK, some won't meet your emissions, some will. Some aren't fast enough for your roads, others are, but the Prius has more competition nibbling at it's toes than in the US.

amm0bob likes this.
  17. amm0bob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

You have a V...

I'm thinking about one too...

18. amm0bob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Y'all also get the little deisels in the minivans from Dodge too, we don't get them here... and I read they get 40+mpg...

19. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's about £10,000 over other options. It's well overpriced. It's sold (and priced) on the benefit of being eligible for free entry to the London Congestion Charge zone, as is the Prius where one could save £2,000 a year. Trouble is, only 150,000 cars enter that zone every day, many are taxis and buses and gain free entry. There are over 1 million cars sold in the UK and Toyota are chasing a small market.

I have shown previously that a 7 seat Peugeot could be had for £10,000 less than the Prius+ (your V). I like the hybrids, I like what they stand for, but £10,000/$16,000 is a high premium! :(

amm0bob likes this.
  20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If the extra space behind the front passengers is a priority the Prius Vagon is hands down an amazing deal. The car has turned into the best car purchase I have ever made, and that is saying something since I have been very satisfied with our other cars ( Honda Civic, Subaru Impreza, Prius, Lexus CTh)

Bob G IA and amm0bob like this.