1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrids don't make financial sense

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Troy Heagy, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a 2008 Prius 2 recently with about 55k miles for approx €9k / us$12.1k.

My last car, a 2006 1.6FSI Golf was doing approx 35 uk mpg / 30 us mpg, annual road tax of almost €500 / us$675

The Prius has no loan / repayments and is averaging 54 uk mpg which is 45 us mpg and te annual road tax is €190 / $250 per year

As a result of buying the Prius we do not use our second car (Honda CRv vtec) as much, thus saving more money

By changing the Golf to the Prius we are saving thousands of euros each year. I never buy new, so save a lot there too

Chuck. and spiderman like this.
  2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I Drive 250-350 miles a day.. I need 500 mile range to make me feel safe :)

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...now that sounds very good...$12k is not too much more than we would pay for 2008 w/ 55k

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    But remember how much more they cost this side of the pond than yours new; about 50% more in US$. Depreciation is much higher.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There it is in a nutshell. Very few people want the cheapest car they could get.
    So true! New cars are never the most economical choice. By buying used, you cut the "hybrid premium" down to a manageable amount where the hybrid actually can be the most economical choice, depending on local conditions and miles driven.

The OP should have titled this thread "New cars don't make financial sense except as toys when you just want a new car."

amm0bob likes this.
  6. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    True, especially since most prius are good for 300k

7. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't think I have 300,000 miles of driving left in me. I drive about 5,000 miles a year. I cannot imagine driving 300 miles a day. What is that, five hours on the road every day? I drive a little farther than that twice a year: driving up to Canada for hiking in the summer, and driving home at the end of the hiking season. A six to seven hours' trip each way including a couple of stops to rest, use the facilities, maybe get a bite to eat or a coffee to keep me awake, get gas.

For my winter snowshoeing trip (assuming my current medical problem does not force me to cancel it) I'll take a shuttle, so that I don't have to drive on winter roads.

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I only do it maybe 3-5 times a week...

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    "Only" ??????

10. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Another example: A colleague bought a Prius G2 for a little over $26,000 and drove it 180,000 miles w/ 48 mpg lifetime average. He said he was very happy because he saved a "lot" of money.

I did some quick math versus an economic, base model car (Versa, Mirage, Fiesta, Fit, etc) that gets 38 to 44 mpg depending on brand.

Assuming 38mpg, a nonybrid base model would have cost $3200 more in gasoline BUT its initial cost is only $12-16,000, so overall the nonhybrid is cheaper. My colleague should have gone with the lower pricetag if he wanted to save money (his stated goal)

11. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Troy, you are not comparing apples with apples. You are comparing a 25k car with a mickey mouse 12-16k car, so a bnllshit comparison IMO

It's like comparing an Audi A1 TDI with an A6, TDI. The A6 will be twice the price (here in Eire), so no comparison

Also, you don't mention what the car is worth in the end. If using your explanation, your friend should have bought a used car, maybe a VW or Audi TDI of some sort and drove it the same distance and time and also would have saved more than what he did with the prius

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but those cars don't get what is advertised, so you're way, way off. also, noe of them come close to prius in other characteristics. you'd be better off trying to make your case between camry and hycam or fusion, etc. at least you would be comparing apples to apples.

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Troy:

Edmonds gives the Versa 30 mpg combined, not your 38 mpg. A driver who gets real-world 38 in a Versa will probably get 60 in a Prius.

I agree that for the average driver, a Versa will be more economical to own than a Prius. But does it really make "financial sense" to send money overseas to buy gasoline from people who donate part of their profits to al Qaeda, so that we have to tax ourselves extra to fight terrorism? Does it really make "financial sense" to burn even 25% more fossil fuel so that our air and water are dirtier, leading to an increment in the number of cancer cases and an acceleration of global climate change?

I think the answer to that is no.

Sometimes it makes more financial sense to spend a bit more money, to get a better product, or to reduce external costs (in this case pollution, carbon emission, and the "terrorism tax" on gasoline). And note that in addition to burning significantly less gas than other gas cars, even smaller ones, the Prius has the lowest emissions among gas cars. That is a very real benefit that does not show up in your cost analysis. The only automobiles that make more financial sense than hybrids are BEVs, once you include all the costs of gasoline.

BTW, I applaud your restraint, in remaining civil in the face of so much disagreement. But I think you are absolutely wrong in your premise

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    A civil troll is still a troll.

Heagy writes highway MPG and may not designate it as such; and he refuses to admit that *most* people also drive in the city. He ignores reliability, resale value, and differences in the car sizes, features and quality.

His analysis is garbage, and only meant to incite response.

amm0bob, Chuck., giora and 1 other person like this.
  15. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    My insight has carpool stickers, but since I leave at 6 am when the interstate is still open, I've never used the lane. (shrug) Maybe I should give them away to someone who needs it.
    SULEV cars like the Prius are rated as clean as EVs (by greenercars website) and in some cases cleaner (Prius is rated higher than the classic EV1). So there's no real difference in the "filth" they put out. As for CO2 I think the world will be better off when Canada and Siberia are warm enough to grow food, rather than the current barren land.

16. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Half truths are deceiving, as intended.
    The OP apparently enjoys the attention. And is getting oodles of it.

Time to put this to an end. I'll start.

Chuck. likes this.
  17. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Well I guess that's because I'd rather save ~10,000 and spend it on something else (home theater, kitchen remodel, kid's college tuition) (or even better: retirement savings), rather than a car/appliance that will be towed to the junkyard in a decade or so.

I already wasted $60,000 during my life on 3 new cars (Omni, Shadow, Avenger), all of which are now rusting somewhere (or torn apart and sold as parts). If I had been smart I would have bought the base model econocars, and achieved the same purpose (drag my body to college/work), but for only $30,000. Half price.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    say no more.;)

Chuck. likes this.
  19. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Then your argument is that a 25k vehicle costs more than a 12k vehicle.

No argument there...

Tony D likes this.
  20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The troll is comparing an old version well-equipped Prius against newer base models of smaller cars.

I did a quick check and found the Mirage and Fiesta where not even contemporaneous with the Prius G2. Fiesta joined the US market in 2011, Mirage in 2012.

The 2009 Fit automatic was rated 35 highway, 31 combined, with users reporting an average of 35. The best automatic Versas were rated 32-34 highway, 27-30 combined, with users reports averaging 28-30. Even the highest outlier Versa didn't reach 38.

amm0bob likes this.