1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrids With Stickers Getting Kicked Out of HOV Lane

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by HOVer, Jun 20, 2007.

1. HOVer

HOVer New Member

From the LA Times bottleneck blog - freeways with HOV lanes that don't meet Fed Requirements.

[​IMG]

2. jeremyandmelissa

jeremyandmelissa New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This issue seems to hinge on one question:

Are HOV lanes intended to reduce pollution or traffic?

If the answer is "traffic" then HOV lanes should be reserved for vehicles with more than person.
    If the answer is "pollution" then alternate fuel/hybrid vehicles should be included in the HOV lane.

In southern Florida it doesn't really matter if you're in the HOV lane during rush hour, you'll be stuck in bumper to bumper traffic anyway. In that light, Hwy 95 between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale clearly don't meet the federal standards for minimum speeds in congested traffic.

It's worth noting however, that before the hybrid HOV decal traffic was just as bad and hasn't gotten visibly worse.

3. jeremyandmelissa

jeremyandmelissa New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This issue seems to hinge on one question:

Are HOV lanes intended to reduce pollution or traffic?

If the answer is "traffic" then HOV lanes should be reserved for vehicles with more than person.
    If the answer is "pollution" then alternate fuel/hybrid vehicles should be included in the HOV lane.

In southern Florida it doesn't really matter if you're in the HOV lane during rush hour, you'll be stuck in bumper to bumper traffic anyway. In that light, Hwy 95 between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale clearly don't meet the federal standards for minimum speeds in congested traffic.

It's worth noting however, that before the hybrid HOV decal traffic was just as bad and hasn't gotten visibly worse.

4. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Bransons @ Jun 25 2007, 11:44 AM) [snapback]467624[/snapback]</div>
    Neither.

5. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jun 20 2007, 04:37 PM) [snapback]465398[/snapback]</div>
    In that regard, even if one never uses the HOV lanes, it's strongly recommended to attach the HOV stickers prior to selling/trading a Prius. I've read where those little stickers can add quite a bit (thousands, in fact) to vehicle resale value. Of course, although doing so could very well increase feelings of guilt, the extra dollars might help alleviate some of those bad feelings...

6. MickeyA

MickeyA New Member

DC area is putting HOT lanes around the Beltway in the next 5 years.

Not sure if it will work or not.
    It could open up room for ppl who didn't drive be4 to start taking the place of the HOT users.

7. HOVer

HOVer New Member

All I can say is that it's going to be interesting to see what Caltrans decides to do in their attempt to alleviate carpool lane congestion.

It looks like these are the options they are considering:

1. Adjusting hours of HOV operation
    So if HOV lane access was restricted to 2 or more people and hybrids during rush hour(s) only, how is this different than it currently is? Maybe restricting it to 3 or more people and kicking out the hybrids might make a dent...maybe.
    If HOV lane was fully 'closed' during rush hour(s)? Yeah right, there would be anarchy.

2. Modifying vehicle entrance and exit points in HOV lanes
    I think Caltrans is looking to eliminate the access points and allow drivers full access at any point. This might help in areas with very limited HOV lane access points, but on other freeways with more frequent access points, most people just cross over the double yellow and it wouldn't make any difference whatsoever.
    So I can't see how this would significantly alleviate congestion except that it would be even more dangerous for motorcycles splitting lanes.

3. Increasing enforcement by the California Highway Patrol
    I think quite possibly this option would have the greatest impact. We've all seen cheaters, though I have to say that when I rode my motorcycle to work for a few years, I was surprised how many cars looked like cheaters but on closer inspection they had a kid in the back or a passenger with a seat back way down.

4. Limiting hybrid access in congested areas
    Caltrans seems pretty adamant about hybrids having no impact on the congestion at all. They must have some hard numbers on this somewhere, and hybrids must make up a severely inconsequential percentage of total HOV lane drivers.

One wrench in the gear is this:
    Therefore it seems to me that the only way to remove the more stringent SAFETEA-LU congestion requirement would be to start by kicking ALL the hybrids out of the carpool lane.

Here's the press release from the Caltrans website...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STATE WILL DEVELOP PLAN TO REDUCE CARPOOL LANE CONGESTION
    Caltrans Believes Higher Population, Not Hybrids, Contributing To Slower Drive Times

Sacramento –On June 15, 2007 the Federal Highway Administration notified the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) that segments of the state’s carpool, or High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV), network are congested, and are therefore out of compliance with federal law. Caltrans will prepare an action plan by August 31, 2007 outlining how the agency will correct this problem.

Because single occupant hybrid vehicles are allowed access to HOV lanes, these lanes come under the purview of the Federal Transportation Act, known as SAFETEA-LU. Once SAFETEA-LU provisions are invoked, HOV lanes are subject to more stringent congestion requirements. Under the federal definition, HOV lanes are congested when vehicles fail to maintain a minimum average operating speed of 45 miles per hour 90 percent of the time over a 180-day period during the morning or afternoon peak hours.

“Caltrans will work with our transportation partners to develop an HOV Congestion Action Plan by the end of August,†said Director Will Kempton.

“Many factors may impact operating speed and drive times such as bad weather or accidents,†says Caltrans’ Chief of Traffic Operations Robert Copp. “These incidents will reduce the overall average speed of the HOV lanes.â€

Caltrans believes the state’s rising population – and not hybrid access – is the primary reason for congestion in HOV lanes. “More people are driving more cars longer distances. Our research shows that vehicle miles traveled increased faster than population growth,†according to Copp. “So, with population increases, we get more traffic, more congestion.â€

A recent study by Caltrans shows that on a statewide basis, giving hybrids access to HOV lanes is not directly attributable to the increased congestion.

In the action plan, Caltrans will explore several strategies to reduce congestion, including:

* Adjusting hours of HOV operation
    * Modifying vehicle entrance and exit points in HOV lanes
    * Increasing enforcement by the California Highway Patrol, and
    * Limiting hybrid access in congested areas.

8. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm inclined to go with the whole population being more of an impact than Hybrids. Simply look at how much the population within say 50 miles of any local has increased over the past 5 years, that percentage of drivers is going to seriously impact car pool lanes.. but then again here in the San Francisco area, I've never seen a carpool lane issue. Only remote issues I've seen are that people (wisely) slow down when traffic in the adjacent lane is almost at a dead stop, we don't have the luxury of HOV lanes that are isolated by any means (not even a double yellow line) up in these parts, and the cheater who sees a CHP officer and tries to sneak back into the regular lanes.. at this point I want to honk my horn and get the officer's attention.

9. HOVer

HOVer New Member

From the 2006 Caltrans Bay Area HOV Lanes report, here are some numbers for the Alameda-80 (San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge Toll Plaza):

Peak Period HOV Lane Vehicles
    3:00-7:00 PM

Motorcycles - 294
    Buses - 312
    Carpools - 1514
    2 seaters - 476
    Hybrids - 398
    Vanpools - 107
    Violaters - 544
    TOTAL - 3645

Cheaters are making up almost 15% of the total HOV lane vehicles at this location and time, and hybrids make up 10% of the lane vehicles.

Peak Period HOV Lane Persons
    3:00-7:00 PM

Motorcycles - 294
    Buses - 4992 (16 per/bus)
    Carpools - 4693 (3 per/vehicle)
    2 seaters - 952
    Hybrids - 398
    Vanpools - 856
    Violaters - 908
    TOTAL - 13093

10. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Bransons @ Jun 25 2007, 06:44 PM) [snapback]467624[/snapback]</div>
    If the answer is "pollution", then hybrids should be banned from the HOV lanes. For each hybrid, allow a big dirty SUV on that lane instead. A hybrid pollutes much less in a traffic jam than a SUV, the last thing you want is a hummer idling away in a traffic jam. Make way for the SUV! Now where is the leak in this argument? ;)

11. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lowlander @ Jun 26 2007, 10:16 AM) [snapback]468372[/snapback]</div>
    :lol:

Lets have H1/H2 have the right in the HOV lane to help pollution.

Man... image all the H1/H2's $4k premium suddenly coming from no where.... and the supply going down so bad that... H1/H2 = new SUV.

12. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They need to eliminate that 45MPH-minimum clause, because if there ever is a real gas crunch again and the number of traditionally HOV-compliant vehicles on the road triples, the lack of hybrids will be meaningless to the people stuck in traffic. Using it as leverage to eliminate hybrids is just mean.

I am surprised that HOV did become synonymous with speedy. If only the initial use of the lanes had made them crowded and slow, then this we-deserve-speed-by-sharing attitude wouldn't have developed.

If one has to find logic in the elimination of hybrids, the point about getting the SUVs off the road faster is about all there is. Forcing HOV-compliant SUVs to contain one person per available seat is better and just as logical as banning hybrids, but then there'd be big piles of removed SUV seats lying around looking bad...

13. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HOVer @ Jun 26 2007, 10:02 AM) [snapback]468352[/snapback]</div>
    Those are some interesting numbers, and beyond that, these are "cheaters" at the toll plaza, if there's any place for violators to stay away from it'd be here most likely, they're probably more willing to cheat in when there aren't police cars parked out side the place. Also I'd be curious if they extrapolated those violator numbers or if that's only the amount the caught, seems a bit high since you don't see that many tickets being issued :D

14. HOVer

HOVer New Member

When comparing the LA stats to the SF stats, it seems as if cheating is a LOT more common in the SF Bay area.

Of course, who knows how they're determining a vehicle is a cheater. Perhaps in SF they're merely looking at the vehicles and guessing, and maybe in LA it's only based on actual CHP traffic stops.

But even if the LA violation rate is about 2% (vs. 10-15% in SF), for a volume of 3,000 cars during a peak 2 hour segment, that's 60 cars being pulled over during that time. When I drive home during a peak hour I might see a CHP pulling someone over once a week, and I travel the entire length of the 210 freeway!!!!

I mentioned to my wife once that I see CHP cars and bikes so rarely during my commute (unless they've already pulled someone over) that it would be amazingly easy to cheat and I'm surprised that more people don't. Just add some heavy tint on the rear windows and you're good to go! Of course then it's a matter of conscience...

15. acdii

acdii Active Member

In reading this, I find it Ironic. Traffic systems are so poorly designed to begin with that patch jobs just don't work. HOV is a patch job, plain and simple. Chicago has express lanes on the Kennedy(I90/94) that reverse during different times of day. Usually during heavy traffic times traffic is moving at the same pace or slower in the "express" lanes. In addition, there are supposed to only be cars in there, yet you see trucks(suvs) in there, and occasionally a bus. Since when a passenger bus had car privileges on the highway I'll never know, I thought they were to follow the same guidelines as commercial vehicles, since that is what they are!

The way it should be is this. Truck(18's and such) should have their own lane, opposite of the on/off ramps, and only trucks should be allowed in it. This way they have a smooth flow through traffic, and since they can run at speed, you have less emissions. Second, the middle lane(this is all based on 3 lane roads) should be the cruising lane, if you drive under the limit, your nice person gets a ticket! The right lane should be treated as the merge only lane, you get on and you get off there, you don't use it to pass or weave. Following this design, you have smooth flow of traffic even under heavy conditions, since by design, the slowest vehicle should be doing the speed limit. Of course with everyone being me first, this would never work, but it is a thought.

16. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HOVer @ Jun 29 2007, 10:29 AM) [snapback]470116[/snapback]</div>
    Of course in those stats that you mentioned, a carpool is considered THREE or more passenger, not TWO or more, which is common through well most the universe. So some of the cheating might be ignorance of drivers thinking two is the norm. Also could be that there's way less carpooling due to that 3 people requirement so those that do cheat would make up a higher percentage.

I know the few times I've gone to LA over the years with my g/f I was almost shocked at the 2 people requirement, even pre-hybrid days for me I was happily going through carpool lanes like it was a gift from heaven :D

17. bobdavisnpf

bobdavisnpf Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeffgb @ Jun 20 2007, 02:23 PM) [snapback]465437[/snapback]</div>
    This might be a bigger deal in CA than FL. Nobody in CA government has a brother in the White House.

FL speed-limit signs all make sense once you apply the math:
    70=80
    65=80
    60=80
    55=80
    50=80

18. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobdavisnpf @ Jul 2 2007, 05:58 PM) [snapback]471946[/snapback]</div>
    Hehe... Hurricane Coming evacuate by the end of the week = you should have already left :D

19. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobdavisnpf @ Jul 2 2007, 05:58 PM) [snapback]471946[/snapback]</div>
    Neither does anyone in Florida's government. Jeb was termed out last year.

20. mjms2b

mjms2b MJ Green

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jun 20 2007, 01:37 PM) [snapback]465398[/snapback]</div>

I agree

http://priuschat.com/index.php?act=ST&...st&p=472033