1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrids... worth it?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Wildman, Feb 11, 2006.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a completely different post from your original one. Only one of your bullet points addressed cost savings over time.

You are absolutely correct, on a cost basis you will not save money buying a Prius. If you want to save money keep your Tercel.

If, OTOH, you want to save GAS and reduce emissions and support the technology that allows those to occur, and you've already decided that you're going to take the plunge and buy a new car that will depreciate in value the second you pull off the dealer's lot then consider a hybrid.

The battery is warranted for 100k miles or 8 years...at 8k miles per year it'll last you at least 8 years under warranty. My wife's Ford Windstar transmission exploded 2 weeks ago (less than 100k miles on it) and cost us the same as the Prius battery would to replace--what's the difference? Also, there's every reason to believe the Prius battery will last to 200k miles and beyond in all but exceptional cases.

Look, if you're anxious about the car and it's technology, you don't like the looks, you don't care about saving gas or reducing emissions then don't get one. But don't make up arguements that don't hold water or that have already been addressed to try to justify it....you don't have to justify yourself, just get what you like and are comfortable with.

2. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Wild,
    You should buy the car you feel best about. Other posters have pointed out that chosing a car has lots of considerations other than price. Decide what the most important factors are for you and then go on test drives.

If money had been my only consideration when replacing my '96 Honda Civic, I would have bought another plain vanilla Civic. Reliable with proven "old fashioned" technology, easy on gas, priced right, easy to find good repair shops and to upkeep, relatively low emissions. But I liked the idea of super low emissions so decided to test drive a Honda Civic Hybrid alongside the regular Civic. My husband said he wanted to test drive a Prius too, since our Toyota and Honda dealers are on the same street.

Comfort and good gas mileage were concerns since we were planning regular inter-state drives.

We were both impressed by the Prius as soon as we sat in the car. It's more roomy than the HCH. During the test drive, it proved to have more umph under the hood. The Pris was simply more car than the HCH, which felt "tinny" in comparison.

Price difference of ~$5,000 wasn't much of a factor in our case. We were willing to pay the difference for "more" car. Looks weren't all that important either. Dan sometimes calls Foxy, the Jellybean. :rolleyes:

Three weeks after Foxy settled in her garage, Katrina hit the refineries in the Gulf and gas prices went nuts. Friends and family kept telling us we must be happy we bought the car. They were right. But we weren't pleased by the rising gas prices, we could afford to drive even if gas tops $5/gallon. We were enjoying our car. She's fun to drive. Low emissions just puts a bigger smile on my face as we drive past gas stations.

3. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Way to go on your choice! :D Something about red even makes the shape of the prisu "that I had trouble getting used to" come alive and look very sporty!

Well it's a bit like I speak about Honda..... And German enginneering also is very good, but when I comes to hybrid..... we have the cream of the crop.

I think the others could do it too if they were willing to take the same chances they took in thier beginning that made them great today...but now they have too much too lose and they are too comfortable and too many boards to please and stockholders to impress.
    Necessity if the mother of invention. But inventors take risk... the more the need, the less the risk.

Toyota just does what the market demands... whether its risky or not!... thats why I like them..... from making muscle trucks to hybrids..... if the market calls for it.. they meet the demand. Always thinking ahead or "moving forward" as they say.

It may not always stroke the feathers of the green birds, but you have to admit.... whatever they do, they do it with excellence for the price.

The only reason some of those cars you mentioned cost more is because of the reputation they built.... I really don't think its because they are so much better.
    Hybrid would be just if not more expensive if they were totally accepted, and the public were't so afraid and still so uneducated to its reliability and benifits.

They could make tons of mercedes and the price would be cheaper.. but they don't on purpose to keep the price and demand high.
    Fact is.... if they made even more mercedes.... they would loose value... because there is a crowd that like mercedes and a larger crowd that doesn't.

But with the prius, there too is a crowd that will never prefer them, but there are masses, that will once they get more educated.
    I say all this to point out that.... as they make more and more prius's or hybrids, the price will not drop much because the secret will also get out as more get on the road and the demand will skyrocket even more.

There is a reason you seldom see Prius commercials? If they are this popular now... what will happen when they actually start trying to advertize them?.... maybe they will never need to... word of mouth is all they need!

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One other thing...
    How do you "recoup the cost" of a V-6 over the V-4 Camry? What are you paying extra for there. Do you need that extra power and speed on your 40 mile island? Are there roads that you can't climb with a 4 cylinder?

I'm guessing not. The thing is this, your priorities are such that you're willing to pay a premium in cost for a feature you like...even if the long term gas cost is higher, the emissions are higher, and there's no real-world benefit. You're paying for the hype of extra power that you don't really need. But if that's important to you then you put the added cost out of your mind.

Yet here's the Prius with real world gas savings, real world emissions savings, plenty of power and capacity to get you wherever you need to go, yet you're not willing to pay a small [percieved] premium for it. Where's the logic in that.

Most of us didn't buy a Prius to save money, we bought it because of it's technologic features, the gas savings, the technology, amazing emissions, Toyota's reputation, and, yes, to some degree to make a statement...
    My statement: "I don't need a big powerful SUV for my everyday driving and I give a damn about saving gas and the environment and supporting companies to build cars to address those issues."

Is that bad?
    Nobody asks if they're recoup the cost of their:
    1)Sports Car
    2)Luxury Car
    3)Interior Upgrades
    4)Performance Upgrades
    5)Supersize SUVs

Then why do we insist on asking that of hybrids?

5. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The lexus seats 5. The highlander seats 7.

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Tropophobia or Metathesiophobia......Fear of change

7. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Hey.. if it wasn't for that.. everybody would want one, then we couldn't afford it? :lol:

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, Prius kept its value better do most new cars. Of course no one who wants to save money buys a new car; they buy a clean two-years-old something.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This reminds me of a comedy skit in which a British Peer decides that the patriotic thing is to conserve resources by taking the bus. So he gets on the bus and asks the driver to take him to his club.