1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hydrogen Fuel Cells Are Becoming Too Big to Ignore

Discussion in 'Fuel Cell Vehicles' started by usbseawolf2000, Oct 27, 2015.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There is a reason why Mirai has a small NiMh battery that works well in the cold.

It will work better than Lithium BEVs. I believe Mirai can start and operate in -40 deg C. I need to look up where I saw that.

2. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Which is the strength of EVs.
    ICE, and to a lesser extent FCVs, waste a good chunk of energy year round.
    In the winter, in northern climates, some of that waste heat is useful.
    During the summer all of that heat is wasted.

EVs loose efficiency only when they need heat, not year round.

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I disagree.

For EVs, heat was wasted at the power plants. Average electricity production and transmission in the US is about 33%.

Those 67% in waste heat will never make it to the cabin to cogenerate.

That's why solar panels that is locally generated is needed for BEVs to make sense. That adds cost and not mass market reachable. They may remain just niche (I hope not).

I see FCVs with higher potential to go mainstream and Toyota also thinks so and betting with it.

4. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
  5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Again, why the different standards?
    If you are including the inefficiencies in power generation and delivery for BEVs, why ignor the similar losses for gas and FCEVs?

Trollbait and Jeff N like this.
  6. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Because the future!

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We are back to square one.

[​IMG]
    Gasoline is 84% efficient at production. Hydrogen is 67% efficient. They are superior to electricity production. The losses are not "similar".

For vehicle operation (EPA rating), BEV is superior. For the net result, all 3 are about the same, depending on which fuel source you are looking at.

Both gasoline and H2 can be refueled in minutes. Plugins need hours to days, unless your have the real estate to park/charge it overnight and plan your trips a day before.

Pale Fox likes this.
  8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You are still going to bring up old and slanted data that even Toyota doesn't use anymore?

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Even if the data changes, it would be slightly.

The underlying point is, plugin advocates likes to ignore the electricity production. They somehow thinks electricity magically appears and only focus on vehicle efficiency and the big EPA MPGe number. It is a "feel good" blind approach but far from reality.

Plugin advocates likes to point out the advantage of the existing infrastructure for charging. Yet, when comes to emission or efficiency, they want to ignore the electricity coming out from every outlets. They only want to count the outlets connected to renewable sources.

There is a huge disconnect and I see it being wide-spread. Nobody is addressing it and ignoring this elephant in the room.

Instead, that attention was redirected to hydrogen production using natural gas, as politic as usual. I wouldn't be surprise, as you disclosed, if politicians are involved in this "movement".

I think science and engineering will prevail. There is enough market for both plugins and FCVs to co-exist as they meet different needs.

10. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. Toyota now says gasp.... BEVs and FCV are about the same when methane is the original fuel.
    Slightly means, they no longer claim its superior, yet you do?

They like you have been told numerous times their old 2009 numbers are bogus. They stopped using them. Furthur the big thing wrong with the slide is it assumes that plug-ins are all bevs and that these bevs won't use non-fossil fuel. What if both the fuel cell vehicle and plug-in use electricity? The plug-iin is much more efficient.
    Hydrogen Fuel-Cell Car Questions: Toyota, Honda & Hyundai Respond (Part 2)
    Hydrogen Fuel-Cell Car Questions: Toyota, Honda & Hyundai Respond (Part 3)

I haven't heard anyone but nissan say that.

What if the plug-in and fuel cell use the same rules for electricity. That is what green car advocates asked plain out. The old slides assume that fuel cells get special clean electricity, while plug-ins plug-into the grid. Its even on that slide. They used california electricity for the hydrogen, but nationwide old grid for the bev.

They simply want the same rules.

If you are claiming grid tied wind uses X amount of fossil fuel for fuel cells, why does it use national grid for plug-ins. It simply is wrong on the face of it.

I'll assume if you use the slide again you simply like pretending fuel cells will use magic electricity, and the grid has not improved at all since 2000 in terms of renewables or fossil efficiency.

11. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You started with :
    In this, you didn't include losses at refineries, transportation, compression, etc for either gas nor hydrogen.

Later you stated:

Yet in this where you inserted upstream losses for EVs, you didn't include upstream losses for FCVs or gas cars.

Even if they are less, it is dishonest to include them for one object, and not the others, when comparing the two.

So who is it again that is ignoring the upstream losses?

Trollbait and austingreen like this.
  12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Seriously, you haven't noticed that the majority of plug-in advocates don't include KWH consumption in their posts? Perhaps I should retract my comment about you being well informed...

It happens routinely, especially from Volt owners. They state GALLONS only. It's quite bias and rather difficult not to notice.

When comforted, they laugh at the concept of an electricity guzzler and turn a blind-eye to the "legal cheat" hybrid. Electricity is treated as a free lunch.

dbcassidy and usbseawolf2000 like this.
  13. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The majority of advocates don't pretend that electricity is magical and is not produced. That is what USB claimed they were doing.
    Yes they talk about how few gallons they use. I don't think they pretend that they don't use electricity also.
    In terms of tail pipe emissions - yes, absolute, then the plug-in is not using gasoline there are none.
    In terms of oil consumption and oil dependance when the plug-in is running on electricity except for a few special cases like hawaii, the consumption is extremely low.
    In terms of smoke stack emissions in my experience they acknoledge this for the fleet. For personal cars some do not if they are using wind or solar to power their cars, but I haven't heard advocates claim this for the fleet.

If anyone does claim no smokestack emissions they are completely wrong. Even with grid tied solar or wind there are some.

#113 austingreen, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    Trollbait and Zythryn like this.
  14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No pretending necessary. You just have to be naive enough to not notice.

The omission of data contributes to a misleading impression.

15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    EVs make the most efficient use of the fuel loaded into them. The waste is upstream, but then there is some more waste for the other fuels there too.

Then the electric production method needs to be considered. The inefficiencies involved with wind and solar and nuclear, if carbon is your primary concern, can just be ignored for the most part. This is also so of hydrogen made from those routes. Because of 'the bang for the buck' equation, we just get more vehicle miles using the electricity in plug ins than making hydrogen for FCEVs.

Again, this is an outdated graphic.
    Second, if the goal of hydrogen cars is to move to renewables, shouldn't it be using renewable energy as the start point instead of natural gas?

Talk about FUD. Lexus had to apologize for saying such. How about I counter that with, "You never have to go out of your way to refuel your plugin for daily trips, and then it can be refueled as fast as gasoline on long ones."

Drop the hydrogen requirement, and FCEVs have a chance in the US.

austingreen likes this.
  16. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Efficiency comparisons on their own and out of a broader context aren't very useful. One place they are great is when comparing one peer vehicle against another on the same terms such as mpg or gallons per 100 miles in hybrid operation or for EV operation MPGe or kWh per 100 miles.

It has gotten almost no coverage so far, but the 2016 Volt has an excellent efficiency screen. I hope Toyota has something at least as good in the new Prius Plug-in. In particular, the Volt screen shows EV efficiency with battery charging overhead included in the MPGe number so the number is easily comparable to the published EPA estimate.

This photo of the screen was taken from the car I was in during the GM media test drive event this past September.

image.jpeg

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    GM had to deal with a lot of complaints about the "gallons saved" not including electricity data. It contributed to the owner trouble of focusing solely on gas consumption.

18. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't believe this is true.
    For some, "gallons saved" is the only number important to them.
    Also, the electricity used has always been shown in the onboard displays.

I haven't seen many complaints, except from people that weren't aware this data has always been available.

19. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That was the point... only number important to them.

As for the display, that's more of the naive. Sorry, but digging for detail is the only way to confirm constructive sharing. In this care, the main website using the data-feed did not have electricity usage. That consumption exclusion was misleading. Like it or not, the missing data was a big deal. Having it presented predominately on the display is a big helper to ending that.

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  20. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Are you talking about VoltStats.net? That non-GM site can't get access to the EV charging data from OnStar for whatever reason but they do get EV miles driven so they substitute EPA estimated charging statistics. In many cases, actual Volt drivers do better than EPA so the VoltStat numbers end up looking lower than reality. My annual EV average including charging overhead is about 26 kWh per 100 miles or about 130 MPGe but I get stuck with VoltStats assuming 36 kWh or 95 MPGe for my 2011 Volt.

The Volt interior center display does not show "gallons saved". It shows gallons used along with gas miles driven and as of the 2012 Volt it shows kWh used from the battery (not including charging overhead, which is the same policy as every other plugin I have ever seen) and EV miles driven. Unfortunately, the first gen Volt doesn't show a calculated mpg or MPGe numbers or combined MPGe like the new 2016 Volt does. Just the gas mpg numbers can be calculated by the car using the driver's odometer display.

Ashlem, austingreen and Zythryn like this.