1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hydrogen powered applications has more range than BEV?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Dxta, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I just read this article today about Toyota Europe, extending its fuel cell technology, specifically, hydrogen powered applications to one of the largest auto companies over there(Portugal).

According to Toyota Europe's MD, that fuel celled applications, amongst it being one of the greenest (zero emissions), has the advantage of LONGER RANGES, THAN THEIR COUNTERPARTS, and has also a shorter filling time.

How is this assertion of his true? I used to think, BEV offers more range, than FCV.

If he claims such a technology offers such benefits more than other technologies, why aren't FUEL CELL VEHICLES ALL OVER THE PLACE?

Please, if anyone has research papers or links to backup his claims, I'm want to read them.

Toyota to supply its hydrogen technology to Caetanobus SA (Portugal) Europe | CORPORATE | TOYOTA Global Newsroom

Dxta

DLC82SV likes this.
  2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe you don't understand the basic fuel cell technology.

It consumes a fuel (hydrogen usually) and produces electricity.
    So the bigger the tank for the fuel, the longer the range.
    That's pretty simple.

The problem IS that hydrogen is difficult to deal with.
    No infrastructure exists for transporting or storing large quantities of it.
    Also filling a portable tank with a high pressure gas is a safety problem.

I think.......that no technology exists for capturing the hydrogen that doesn't consume more energy than it will produce.
    Thus, putting the electricity into batteries for storage is more efficient that putting the electricity "into" hydrogen.
    Maybe they are near to breaking even on that equation though.

Dxta likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    toyota is claiming this in california as well, with no proof. they are taking government dollars for r&d, and not producing anything to show for it.

current fuel cells can go 300 miles or so, less than the longest range tesla for the same money.

but here's the kicker. you can refuel a tesla at home or one of many charging stations in an ever increasing charging infrastructure.
    you can only refuel fuel cell cars at multi million dollar stations that toyota and others are expecting governments to pay for.
    so faster refueling doesn't really solve any problems.

Stewy13 and DLC82SV like this.
  4. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I drive a Mirai on regular basis and love it. The only problem is lack of places to refill it. Just 1 place in West Sacramento. If someone wanted to drive to LA you would have to take I-5 and stop at Harris Ranch and if that pump is down you are stuck. You only need a natural gas supply and electricity to produce hydrogen gas. As someone who has actually used a Hydrogen car I can say it it quite easy and safe to refill.

Zythryn and DLC82SV like this.
  5. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How's the filing time like? Takes longer than charge stations for filing electric?
    Do you get more range, when compared to electric vehicles (I don't know if you've driven both to compare though).

6. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh filling hydrogen is definitely faster than charging an EV away from home.
    The range all depends on the size of the tank or size of the battery pack.

The longest range EV has more range than all FCVs I am aware of. The average FCV has more range than the average EV.

For me, the ability to fuel up at home is a major factor to my preference to BEVs over FCVs.

7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Seems like you still aren't getting it.

"pumping" hydrogen is a lot like filling a tank with propane; somewhat like pumping gasoline.
    Much faster than any currently available electric charging.

And the range depends on the size of the "tank". In the case of an EV, the size of the battery.

Zythryn likes this.
  8. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wao!!! Get it now. Probably, got to do some research on em.

bisco likes this.
  9. Stewy13

Stewy13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----Canada----
    Let's not forget supply. If there's no supply, you'll be waiting awhile..
    (Since this is my first post I can't post a link, but google "Hydrogen Fuel Shortage California" and you'll see what I'm talking about)

10. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are not a lot of places to refill a Hydrogen car outside of the Bay Area and LA. That’s the problem with it. The mirai is very similar to the Prius, the exception being the main motor is run by the fuel cell and battery instead of a gas engine and motor/generator like the Prius has.