1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hydrogen question

Discussion in 'Fuel Cell Vehicles' started by JonW, Feb 13, 2020.

1. JonW

JonW Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It really seems more and more companies are pushing for Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicles. First Toyota with their Mirai and now Nikola with their Badger pickup. I thought the idea of having a hybrid plug-in based off hydrogen rather than gasoline would be a great idea and was wondering why Toyota didn't do it with the Mirai. Did some digging and found out they could have but chose not to which forces people to buy hydrogen to help build the customer base that in turns helps to expand the network of hydrogen stations.

Anyway, my questions is... how long will hydrogen stay usable in a vehicle? I've tried googling this the past several days but all the results talk about the fuel cells that produce the electricity rather than the hydrogen. We all know gas tends to start going bad around 6 months. But I'm assuming since hydrogen isn't a mixture like gasoline, that it doesn't "break down" or whatever? I know if I had a car that even had a 100 mile range battery (let alone 300 miles as stated for the Badger) that I would probably only have to refuel once a year - if that. Isn't a hydrogen/battery hybrid the best of everything? Having a battery for short trips but also containing a hydrogen tank to extend your mileage and also giving you the ability to refuel in a matter of minutes rather than having to wait several hours for your battery to charge seems like a great idea to me. Just wish A) the technology was cheaper and B) there were hydrogen fuel stations across the US.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    these are just r&d using governments money. many companies have dropped out as the money dried up.

no one is going to fund multimillion dollar fueling stations all over the country.

having a 3-500 ile battery isn't all that bad, and prices will keep coming down. then you don't need anything but more charging stations, which area lot cheaper, and you don't have to make electricity out of natural gas

Rmay635703 likes this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Depends on how you store the hydrogen. In liquid form, the tank vents some periodically in order to keep the pressure from building up as the hydrogen warms. It isn't going bad, but you are losing fuel over time.

But the car companies pushing hydrogen for fuel have settled on compressed gas. Then the PEM type fuel cells they use are finicky about hydrogen purity. So there is basically just hydrogen in the tank. The fuel should be fine for quite sometime.

Long term, the concern isn't the gas, but the fuel cell and tank. The tank has a limited life for safety reasons, as the resin and other materials will degrade over time. It is 15 years from manufacturer, making them good for the typical life of the car, but it is a pricey component. That means lower resell, and the cars have become more 'disposable'.

The the fuel cell wears out with use, losing power over time. Current ones go maybe 80k miles before their output hits 50%. Making the car a plug in would help with this, as the cell sees less use, but the FCEV companies generally aren't fond of plug ins, and see the two in competition. Get use to plugging in a PFCEV, and you might get a BEV next is likely a concern of theirs.

JonW likes this.
  4. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As @Trollbait said, the issue isn’t the hydrogen going “bad” in the tank but will start to disappear. There a lot of ancillary parts like valves, pipes, seals, anywhere there’s an interface between the transfer of hydrogen. Toyota seems to have addressed the interface issues with some solid engineering, but I haven’t even looked at other manufacturers. I never wanted them to make a FCEV car. Looking at it from the retailer side, you want to drive the requirement for using more hydrogen, which would have driven the requirement for more stations, and better compressor technology in the long run which would have resulted in cheaper hydrogen stations. I wanted Toyota to build hydrogen trucks and buses to boost the requirement for hydrogen, not lessen it by building cars.

iPad ? Pro

JonW likes this.