1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hydrogen tour and FCEVs

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by hkmb, Sep 16, 2022.

1. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was at a conference in Canberra this week. Most of it was about international trade and geopolitics, but there was a side bit from the Australian Capital Territory government about its environment policies. (The ACT is Canberra and surrounding areas: like Washington in the District of Columbia, our capital is not in a state but a separate territory.) It included site visits to two places: a laboratory where they're developing vehicle-to-grid tech and a hydrogen filling station.

The ACT government has a fleet of about 80 hydrogen fuel-cell cars - Toyota Mirais and Hyundai Nexos. On the tour, they showed us a Mirai, and refuelled it for us to watch. They showed us their electrolysis plant, which was part of the complex, too.

It was interesting, but, unless I've wildly misinterpreted stuff, it all seemed a bit crap.

First, there was the question of range predictability. You don't (obviously) pour hydrogen into your fuel tank. Instead, you connect it to the compressed tank at the station, and pressure equalisation fills your tank. This station has pressure of 700 atmospheres. That meant you could fill a Mirai with about 6kg of hydrogen, which would give you a range of about 600km. But the guy said that the filling station in Sydney only had a pressure of 350 atmospheres. This meant you could get a bit less than 3kg of hydrogen into your Mirai, giving you a range of less than 300km.

Then there was the question of capacity. This station can produce around 25kg of hydrogen per day. So you can fill 4 cars, at most. They have to ration the driving of their fleet. Obviously, though, this could be upscaled.

But most of all - and this is where I'm concerned that the guy might have got the figures wrong, or I might have misinterpreted - there was energy input.

He said that the electrolyser produces about 1kg of hydrogen per hour. He said the electrolyser uses a 60kW feed of electricity. (This is before we get on to the amounts of energy used for compression and cooling.)

So, based on what he said, to create enough fuel to travel 100km in a Mirai or Nexo, you're using 60kWh of electricity. Meanwhile, as we know, the 60kWh battery in a Model Y will give you 400km WLTP. From what I can see, there's a 12-15% loss in energy when charging a battery, so an input of 60kWh will give you just of 50kWh / 330km of range. So that would suggest that a BEV is more than three times more efficient than an FCEV.

The guy said that there would be economies of scale, but that even so, a large-scale electrolyser would be less than twice as efficient than what they have now.

He also said that hydrogen prices were "roughly at parity" with petrol (gasoline) and diesel prices per km in Australia, and thus about 30% lower than petrol/diesel prices in Europe. This would make hydrogen more expensive than petrol/gasoline in the US.

Does anyone know if this is right? Or did we get the numbers wrong?

And if it's right, does this mean there's no point at all in FCEVs? Or is there a way around this?

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You got it right. The inefficiency of hydrogen and impracticality is why a mult-billion dollar rocket has scrubbed twice in Florida. Elon calls them ‘fool cells’ and he is right even if not the first.

Bob Wilson

hkmb likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and then, a miracle happens...

hkmb likes this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Sounds right. Economies of scale can get the component costs down, but wouldn't change the energy requirements.

FCEVs might work out better for shipping, where you require less infrastructure. There is also the short term question of battery supply where hydrogen might get a start with shipping and grid storage. Then there are fuel cells that don't run on hydrogen.

As for the tank and filling pressures, those are actually in bar, which are 0.986923 atmosphere according to Google. The 350 station is an old one from when that was the standard. 700 bar is what hydrogen cars available now use.

#4 Trollbait, Sep 16, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
    hkmb likes this.
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    The fossil fuel industry is a better efficiency bet than hydrogen. Fossil fuels are already storable. Why create an efficiency loss so you can store it in a less efficient manner. Some like to say, "the hydrogen highway is a dead end". It's the technology that promises to be ready in just 10 more years, ever since the 1960's.

6. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Right. Thank you.

Yes. I can also see hydrogen combustion - if they can sort out storage - working for jet engines. But for cars I just can't see the case for fuel cells over batteries now that I've been told about the hydrogen economics.

Ah, yes. I didn't know whether you had bar in America with it being all metric and stuff, so I thought it would be easier to just say atmospheres.

They are almost interchangeable. I wouldn't want to go to a party without an atmosphere, and I wouldn't want to go to a party without a bar.

7. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In a BEV you start with 100 kwh, charge the battery (~90% efficient) then later you discharge and drive the wheels (90%).
    So you get 81 kwh out to the wheels.

Now let's compare with electrolysis and a fuel cell.
    You run the electrolyzer (55%, maybe 60% or more at scale) to produce the H2.
    Next you compress it (85% to 95%) and then liquefy it (70-80%).
    Now you store it (let's assume no losses) and refuel (assume 100%)
    Next you run it through the fuel cell (maybe 60-70%) to get electricity.

I've left out things that are common to both, such as motor and other drive train losses.
    Multiply out all those things -- adjust the numbers if you want.
    You get about 20 to 32 kwh out compared to 81 for the BEV
    That is 2.5x to 4x of a difference.
    Even if the electrolysis were to increase to 80% you only get a few percent increase.

Mike

hill likes this.
  8. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Most hydrogen is still made for natural gas. The Mirai and a hypothetical Camry hybrid CNG can both go about the same distance with the same amount of NG. That's without considering the difference in energy requirements in getting the fuel into the cars' tanks. Considering renewable fuels, we can make methane from electrolysis hydrogen by adding more energy and CO2. That increases the cost for a CNG car, but the costs of shipping methane and getting into a car tank are lower to begin with.
    It's mostly psi; so 10k and 5k for the hydrogen standards. Japan is going higher, with pressures in the 12k range. The Mirai tanks are actually made for that. Which is another issue with hydrogen; an improvement in hydrogen storage isn't cross compatiable. The cars and fillers for 350 and 700 bar use different nozzles. Something new, like metal hydride, may not work at all with existing refueling stations. So money will be spent to upgrade.

A faster charging battery comes along, and it can still charge at old chargers at a slower rate, and newer chargers can slow down for older EVs.

9. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I always see this asked about batteries, but I don't recall this being asked about fuel cells How long does a fuel cell last and what is the cost of replacing it? Now, I know there is no real set time for batteries or even an IC engine/trans combo, but I just don't see it being asked for the almighty fuel cell.

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Discussed some here, Fuel Cell Car Depreciation | Page 2 | PriusChat

The DOE fuel cell program had a goal by 2020 for durability based on voltage output loss. It was an average loss of less than 10% after 5000hrs of use. That works out to I think 150k miles for a non-plug in FCEV. Fuel cells of the gen1 Mirai generation were hitting the 10% average voltage loss in the 4000 to 4500 range.

This is a manufacturing cost analysis from 2017.
    https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2018/02/f49/fcto_battelle_mfg_cost_analysis_100_250kw_pp_chp_fc_systems_jan2017.pdf
    A fuel cell of the Mirai's power rating would be around $25k, adjusted for inflation, and if over 50k were being made a year. I don't think Toyota has published actual cost though. On introduction of the Mirai, they said the fuel cell costs were reduced by 95%, but that is going from the previous FCEV generation. The FCX Clarity was literally a million dollar car then.

El Dobro likes this.
  11. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    So, we have a fuel cell, limited life fuel tanks, a high voltage battery, a lack of infrastructure and a fuel that takes fuel to create the energy to make the fuel. Is that about right?

12. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Midwestern partnership backs hydrogen as clean energy source (msn.com)

"The partnership includes Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin, whose economies are dominated by agriculture and heavy industry such as steel and automobile manufacturing.

Climate legislation that President Joe Biden signed last month offers a tax credit intended to make clean hydrogen more competitive.

Those measures “made it almost certain that clean hydrogen development will become a major alternative for producing energy both in the Midwest and nationally,” said Zachary Kolodin, Michigan’s chief infrastructure officer."

13. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    From the article:
    This is fluff, which is more than it deserves.
    Clean hydrogen is a great idea for using excess renewable energy. It is a lousy idea for non-centralized transportation.

hkmb likes this.
  14. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe not fluff

Toyota to Assemble Fuel Cell Modules at Kentucky Plant in 2023 - Toyota USA Newsroom

"Starting in 2023, a dedicated line at Toyota Motor Manufacturing Kentucky (TMMK) will begin assembling integrated dual fuel cell (FC) modules destined for use in hydrogen-powered, heavy-duty commercial trucks. The FC modules bring Toyota’s electrification strategy further into focus as it will allow truck manufacturers to incorporate emissions-free fuel cell electric technology into existing platforms with the technical support of Toyota under the hood."

Hydrogen Roadmap for the State of Michigan Workshop | Center for Sustainable Systems (umich.edu)

open minds = possibilities

Our world is a wonderful place where scientist are continuing to expand our horizons and opportunities.

#14 John321, Sep 19, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    "It will take advantage of assets such as the region's pipelines and tanks for distributing and storing ammonia, which consists largely of hydrogen and is a key ingredient in fertilizer."

Water is also mostly hydrogen, you wouldn't simply pump hydrogen through water lines.

Shipping hydrogen is so costly that development is going on to cheaply strip the hydrogen off ammonia at the end point, as shipping ammonia is magnitudes easier than hydrogen.

It is also great for green ammonia, if you are planning to replace fossil ammonia with it.
    Toyota should have been pursuing commercial vehicles for hydrogen from the beginning. The refueling infrastructure is easier to build out than that for personal cars.

Article doesn't say how many fuel cells they plan to build a year. Need 50k to get the efficiencies of scale, and then that fuel cell will be in the $35k to $40k range. Then you need to add the entire EV drive train, battery, and hydrogen tanks.

Zythryn likes this.
  16. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are curious, they are starting out small for the manufacturing numbers and based on the results will adjust to meet demand or lack of demand.

It is a start with actual investment capital and manufacturing assets to test the market.

It is not the end all and be all of everything it is just a start and test for the viability.

Not everything needs to be a Grand Opera or a Home run, eventually enough singles will drive in runs.

It ties in very nicely with the Midwestern Hydrogen Partnership announcement today

17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That is exactly what they were doing with the Mirai. How well has that gone?

Hydrogen fuel for cars or trucks isn't going to to anywhere as a market without the infrastructure. Yet it sounds like Toyota still isn't going to do anything about that besides hoping a government pays for it.

The Midwestern partnership is too new to have any definitive plans. Maybe they will put in vehicle refueling infrastructure, and save Toyota's FCEV products. Or they focus of replacing fossil hydrogen uses with green hydrogen. Which should be the priority for green hydrogen.

Zythryn likes this.
  18. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And yet, somehow, Toyota knows that consumer don't want BEVs.

Mike

hill likes this.
  19. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can't force open closed minds.

However the world is a large place with many opoportunities and exciting possibilities for open welcoming minds.

Gov. Beshear working to bring hydrogen investments, jobs to Kentucky (wkyt.com)

" Gov. Andy Beshear announced Monday he was working to bring hydrogen investments and jobs to Kentucky by working with fellow governors in six states to advance a hydrogen market, supply chain and workforce development across the Midwest region.

“Kentucky’s robust infrastructure, strong chemical and manufacturing base, along with our leadership in the automotive and logistics sectors position us as a natural location for economic development in hydrogen,” said Beshear. “We are looking forward to working with our Midwest and local industry partners to build a hydrogen economy in Kentucky.”

In 2021, Toyota Motor Manufacturing Kentucky announced a $461 million upgrade to its Georgetown manufacturing plant, which starting next year will begin assembling integrated dual fuel cell modules destined for use in hydrogen-powered, heavy-duty commercial trucks.

In July, Kentucky Interstates 64, 65 and 75 were approved by the Federal Highway Administration as hydrogen transportation corridors, supporting the development of hydrogen fueling infrastructure on those key freight corridors."

Real projects-real capital investments-real manufacturing capacity.

Real open minds willing to try new technologies.

Maybe they will develop into widespread application - maybe not - but real-world projects aimed at making alternative energies practical and appliable to real life.

Now lets' jump on and diminish the effort and destroy the people trying to develop alternative energies - right?

We should probably stop working on electric cars also,
    'Mass adoption of EVs will not happen by 2030' - future Net Zero
    or is that type negativity just silly and in the big picture hurting alternative and promising energy solutions to our many energy related challenges.

Come to think of it cars will never really be a thing - horse and buggies are the way we have always done it and will continue to do it., that is the way people thought years ago.

open minds= possibilities
    closed minds = dead ends and no progress

I respect others opinions and always like to hear them. I certainly don't know everything on the subject but do refuse to close my mind to possible positive solutions.

I think I am beating a dead horse here ( maybe horse and buggy) I won't post any more on this subject in this thread as people are just not open to it.

#19 John321, Sep 20, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
  20. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hydrogen has its place. IMO, heavy duty trucking is one of the possibilities.
    Light duty vehicles is a boondoggle as shown by the Mirai.

I’m all for research, just leave it in the lab until more of the issues are worked out. I’d guess that would only be ‘another 10 years’;)

An open mind is a good thing, unless it is so open your brain falls out.

Trollbait likes this.