1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hydrogenated vegetable oil or butter?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, Mar 27, 2012.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Love both. Taste buds just love fat. I figure chemically altering veggie/corn oil doesn't torture as many animals. So "almost butter" wins for me.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It may taste like butter, but hydrogenated oil is different enough chemically to give your body problems after you swallow it. All hydrogenated oils are a source for trans fats. It the container claims to have zero, take a real close look at the serving size. How people have gotten 20+ servings out of the small container of Cool Whip?

3. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Butter for me, too. While we've got a long way to go toward ethical treatment of animals, real food is far better for the local environment (me) than fake crap. Despite the labelling on Cool Whip, an 'edible oil product' it's not. Ick.

I eat sugar, too. None of that 'artificial sweetener' junk. I consider Aspartame to be a poison.

1 person likes this.
  5. Cory151

Cory151 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Whats the difference they are both (pufa) industrial seed oils the lead to inflammation and cancer. Switching to Coconut oil, grass fed Ghee, and animal fats have led to a dramatic turn around in almost all of my metabolic markers.

Heres a study on the topic:

fats - health

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hydrogenated fat AKA Trans fat is unhealthy, as much or perhaps more than cholesterol.

7. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Butter and real sugar...i stay away from aspartame, don't care what the FDA says about it. I try to eat natural most of the time, the fewer additives the better.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...we use Promis Active, formerly known as Take Control, which the label says is veggie oils (not hydrogenated) and plant sterol esters. The plant sterol esters lower colesterol, so that is why we use it. Also zero trans fats. This stuff is expensive cheapest is $3.80 at Walmart. It is similar to Benecol but we always liked the Promis Activ much better. Hope they keep making it but getting harder to find.

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I remember my mom frying up Chicken ... or taters in lard ... Yum yum. So how come THAT's not on the choice list for this thread?
    ;)

Here's one you can 'explain for me. How come the Eskimo (with their historical diet of blubber and such ... and certainly not much fiber to speak of) tribe's cholesterol averages are notoriously average? I do love me some whale blubber.
    :confused:

10. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Maybe 'cause they're out there in the frigid landscape hunting whales whilst we sit on our comfortable office chairs in a climate-controlled office, in easy reach of the Skittles?

Just thinking out-loud here...

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Eskimo? Tsk tsk. :rolleyes:

Inuit peoples live in a climate so cold that most of us would consider it uninhabitable. Consequently, their bodies tend to burn more fat than 'normal', just to stay warm. It doesn't sit around clogging their arteries.

12. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure about cool whip, but less than 0.5 grams and they can say no transfats. Peanut butter is one of those things with just under 0.5 grams. Fully hydrogenated vegatable oil has no trans fat, but is very hard, so they mix it with non hydrogenated oils and volla:D transfat free. Fully hydrogenated oil is a saturated fat, and if you eat more saturated fats than you burn its bad for you:eek: That's whether its cool whip or butter.

Now why is this in the environmental thread.

13. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    They also tend to die IIRC 10 years younger than canadians on a typical canadian diet including more plants that live near by. I guess if you want to follow a diet and lifestyle that leads to fewer heart attacks but earlier death you can follow the inuit example. Genetics also likely plays a part.

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No thanks. I admire their strength and tenacity, but it's a very rough life, with daily dangers I'm simply not prepared to face. I was just explaining how their typical diet seems to work for their lifestyle.

15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...if you look under Wikipedia Blubber it says it is very healthy food.
    The 70-yrs old who ate whale and seal have arteries that look like 20-yrs olds.

16. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe they use whale butter.

17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    do not know why it's environmental. But in conducting research for this thread, looked at some spread labels tonite at the grocery store. Looks like they have gone with pure veggie oils in many cases now.
    So this avoids the partially hydrogenated transfats.

Palm oil for example, is quite saturated so it is waxey even though it is relatively low carbon number C16's (vs. C18's in most oils). Good for margarine I presume. This is a problem with biodiesel made from palm oil, it is waxier, probably OK for warmer climates.

1 person likes this.
  18. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  19. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Pure peanut butter contains no trans fats. However, many popular brands add other processed vegetable oils that do contain small amounts of trans fats.

Tom

20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There is a tiny amount of trans fat in non processed food. The amount in milk, IIRC, is the basis of the legal limit for claiming zero trans fat on the label. It's based on serving size, though. So a company can just lower that on the label until they can say zero, and wa la, a tub is enough for all the fishes and loaves. While being trans fat free despite prominant use of hydrogenated oils in the ingredient list.