1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hymotion fuel economy updates

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by Arthur, May 23, 2009.

1. boxer93

boxer93 Psyched for PHEV

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    George,
    Looks great to me. Not fanatical either :) I usually get ~100miles per pip after the first one. I went 60 miles on the blinking pip this time too. As for taking the wife's car it depends on the mileage it gets. I'll still use the Prius since I'll still be getting 50MPG instead of her 20something.
    Keep up the good work. Maybe you'll see 1500 miles for the tank. That's my next goal.
    Chris

1 person likes this.
  2. gkalkas

gkalkas New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have never seen a blinking pip? Was so swayed by people saying, "DON'T EVER RUN OUT OF GAS AND RUN ON ELECTRIC!", I always look for a station with 2 showing.

However, once when my wife was driving the Camry, I was paging thru the trip-o-meter, when I saw, "O miles to empty"! That was a fun few minutes.:eek: They say it's good to get your heart going once in a while.:eek:

I'll probably get gas when the Prius is down to 1 bar, or take a trip in a few weeks, whichever comes first.

George

1 person likes this.
  3. Arthur

Arthur Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Here is the result of using my ScanGauge to keep track of my fuel economy on a daily basis for the past year:

PriusChat Forums - Arthur's Album: images - Picture

I have a standard Hymotion system with no grill-blocking or other modifications that would have a significant effect on fuel economy.

The data represents a full calendar year and a wide variety of driving conditions:
    - highway driving and city driving
    - flat terrain and big hills
    - hot weather and very cold weather
    - me driving, my wife driving, and her son driving
    - me hypermiling and me driving "normally," whatever that means
    - me playing tricks to keep the engine from coming on and me being too tired to bother playing tricks

However, the vast majority of the days involve driving up a big hill to get home. The only exceptions to that would have been days when my battery was depleted before I started up the hill.

The data only includes driving that occurred while the Hymotion system was turned on and still had energy in the battery.

On any days when the battery was fully depleted, I stopped collecting data (and wrote down the ScanGauge numbers) as soon as the Hymotion light went out.

The only place that I have ever charged my Hymotion battery is in my own driveway. (We don't have a garage.) However, on some days, I charged the battery with a second partial charge before going out again.

The number of miles driven per day, ranges from about 8 to 38, with the average being about 16.5 miles.

I corrected for systematic errors in the ScanGauge data. So, the numbers should be very close to reality.

I have data for 277 out of the last 365 days. Only 241 of those days are represented on the chart. For each of the other 36 days, my MPG was above 200.

Of the 36 "above 200 MPG" days, 23 of them are listed here:

210, 213, 234, 244, 245, 249, 249, 262, 262, 262, 264, 266, 286, 297, 301, 304, 320, 320, 322, 326, 340, 385, 703

For the remaining 13 days, I managed to avoid using any gas whatsoever.

If you're trying to decide whether to buy a Hymotion system, this data should give you a pretty good picture of the range of results that are possible.

Arthur

4. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you also tracked your overall mpg (all miles, not just hymotion miles) across the year? I would guess it's still a fairly high number...

5. Arthur

Arthur Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, I track lots of stuff. I'll post more data soon.

Is my overall average MPG fairly high? Not really. Even though electricity is much cheaper per mile, there is still some cost associated with charging the car. When you factor that in, I pay the about same amount (for my combination of gas and electricity) that a person would pay if they had a standard gasoline car that got between 55 and 60 MPG.

So, the Hymotion battery won't ever pay for itself, not unless gas prices go up to several dollars per gallon and STAY there for a long time!

I still enjoy having the conversion. I spend less than $20/month, while my wife spends almost $100/month fueling her Highlander (hybrid). Of course, she does more driving than I do. So, that's part of the reason she spends more.

We're getting a PV system (solar panels) soon. It will make me very happy to be able to charge my car with solar energy. I know it's not going to save the world, but it's a step in the right direction.

Arthur

6. JeffreyDV

JeffreyDV New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Every bit counts.