1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hyndai's and Kia's being dinged for fudging MPG's why not Toyota?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by rainmaster, Nov 2, 2012.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. The mpg for the 15" equipped Prius can be well over 50mpg. The Five can consistently average 50mpg on the OE tires as well. However, drive the Five like the average Joe Speeder) and this becomes more difficult to achieve. I am talking about displayed mpg, not calculated. That is a whole mother issue. :)

2. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Do you believe the Toyos are the most fuel efficient tire out there in the 215/45R17 size?

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It appears so but I cannot say for certain because I have not tested them. It seems everyone that switches to something else sees a permanent loss of FE. They are not, however, the most economical. Their super high price and low tread wear males them more expensive per mile than some other good alternatives like the Turanza Serenity Plus, PureContact and EP422.

4. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I agree. And their ride quality is ranked just slightly better than bare rims alone.

austingreen likes this.
  5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lmao! So I've heard.

6. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the end I think this is a non-issue in looking at Fuelly for the "combined" mpg for the Hyundai and Kia... Looking at the Elantra actual mpg's combined are off by 6 to 7 percent. This compares to 2 to 4 percent off of the combined for GIII Prius models.

In the end how many Hyundia owners drive like Prius owners to beat the mpg game?

Back in the day in the late 70's and early 80's I was able to meet the EPA hwy estimates with nothing more than cruise control...

7. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have not read all of the above post, but my response to the question is ..... because many (possibly most) Prius drivers equal or better the EPA number. True, the MPG readout is a bit optimistic, but my 2010 IV, with 67,500 on the odometer, my average (winter/summer; town/country and etc) mileage is 52+ mpg (calculated). I will concede that where we live we do not do a lot of stop and go, city driving.

8. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I calculate mpg, and just use the indicated mpgs as a guide to how I'm driving. Always try to fuel up a the same pump and try to get the same amount of fill at slow first notch on trigger. Our IV stays pretty close to 53-55 in Summer and 51-52 in the coldest part of Winter. We only take it out in Winter when roads are dry to keep the metal parts out of the huge amounts of salt that this state loves to dump on our crumbling roads.

We live about 8 miles from the nearest grocery store and usually have the car warmed up by the time we get to any location. Going to town for us is about a 15-20 mile drive. Our area is somewhat hilly, but not so much that a lot of long climbs are involved. Our house is at the 700 foot elevation contour on the map... so we basically drive downhill to the coast, and of course up hill back to the house. I can be on I95 after about 10 miles, but have many other ways to get around... at speeds of 45 to 55 mph.

This Winter, a friend has been kind enough to use his 2010 Prius III to go skiing. I share the driving duty and gasoline when he allows. I do the ski maintenance, and he provides the car. The ski areas are anywhere from 50 to 100 miles away. His average is around 52 mpg calculated so far this Winter, with both of us in the car and all the ski gear, foods, energy drinks and that kind of thing. In Summer, I provide the transportation for carting our bicycles to riding jump off points.

So that's two Prii averaging that kind of mpg around this region. I can't imagine Toyota having to pay a farthing for any misleads on mpg with these cars. If someone isn't getting 50 mpg or more with their third Gen Prius Liftback, I suggest they check their driving style, tire pressures and dump the lead anchors they must be carting around. Or maybe just slow down a couple of notches. Gotta be doing something wrong.

Felt likes this.
  9. cosgrove

cosgrove Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Over the last 15 years or so all of the vehicles I have purchased (including our 2010 Prius) have had some kind of milage calculator in the instrumentation, and ALL of them were off by 2-4 mpg, even the relatively high-dollar ones (which I bought used). I have heard that these devices do NOT monitor the actual amount of fuel moving from the tank over a given time period, but rather they calculate the expected amount using a complicated formula invoking engine rpm, throttle setting, etc. Does anyone know how these milage devices work, and what they actually measure?

10. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Most cars I've owned calculated the mileage rate 8 - 10% optimistically relative to actual consumption.
    This is probably better from a customer service cost standpoint. If the on-board display were more accurate you'd get far more unhappy customers complaining that the car's not performing to spec. As it is, most of them (the customers) probably don't bother to calculate the actual consumption when they fill up or don't even know how to do it.
    It's tricky dealing with a customer base. You'll find most temperature gauges are set up to read slightly below the middle of the temperature range and many are set up with a "dead zone" so they don't vary in that reading. As soon as you have a gauge that shows more information you'll get more customers anxious that it's "reading higher than it usually does".

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nothing from the o/p in 4 months? judging from his other threads, he was confusing the prius mpg meter with hyundai's fudging epa numbers.

12. The Dude

The Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I finally achieved 60mpg and then ran my own calculations and it came out to like 57.2....BUMMER. Lies...

13. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    But there is no evidence that they are lying to the EPA, which is what Kia and Hyndai are accused of.

Your Toyota seems to be 4.7% optimistic.

dbcassidy likes this.
  14. 1945steve

1945steve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2012 Prius model 2 experience over the past 12 months (19,360 miles, avg. 52.08 mpg) is that the window sticker is pretty conservative compared to what the dash indicators show. Mileage was higher than sticker (50 combined estimate) and actual fuel costs were lower than sticker estimates . Of course my average fuel cost for the year would be quite different than someone living in a high fuel cost area.

15. jgilliam1955

jgilliam1955 Sometime your just gotta cry! 2013 Prius 4.

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I dont have a problem with the mpg if you are still getting great gas mileage. When the other hybrids showed EPA 47 and drivers are 10 mpg less that is wrong. Myself I am getting 51 mpg.

SCH-I535 ? 2

16. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    From the beginning of Korean car 'changed' their style by COPYING all brands of nice cars( I called every brand of Korean car Copy Cat car, you can see the super ugly style of them before copying), I already not believe their so call good design,good performance and mostly their MPG these few yrs. They should feel ashamed. They think they have succeed. No, they just keep copying. For the fudging of MPG, Toyota will not do that. It is a honest brand, never over sell their cars by cheating. The President Toyota is an honest man.

17. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I call them the "Me too" people. This goes beyond cars. Every time Apple announces a product (iWatch), Samsung always goes "me too" in a week.

18. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We are approaching the 100,000 mile mark on our Prius. MPG's are around 45-48 mpg in the winter, and 50-53 mpg in the summer, calculated by hand, computer is almost always off by 2-4 mpg, so if the computer reads 55 mpg calculated
    mpg will be about 52 mpg.

The EPA hwy rating is 48 mpg; on a round trip last year to Reno NV, during the summer, with three adults and luggage, hwy speed 60-75 mph we averaged over 51 mpg calculated for the trip with the AC on probably 40% of the time.
    Driving at a steady 60 mph you can easily achieve over 55 mpg, calculated, during the summer..

19. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes your name to them is more humble. They are cheating in many fields.