1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Hypermilers" Longest Coast/Glide you held?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by eman08, Sep 10, 2016.

1. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I started fresh from resetting the meter and wanted to see how far I can go without the ICE kicking on experimenting driving almost entirely EV. 1473553606559.jpg 1473553614926.jpg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    3 miles downhill. Yippee

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not far from here, I can do more than that distance in the household's non-hybrids.

I'm think of another place where you should be able to get 25+ miles. In fact, even a decently rolling non-hybrid, non-EV (and a driver willing to run a single stopsign, traffic permitting) should be able to get 25+ miles there. So to impress me, find something longer.

How far down I-80 from Truckee can non-plugin drivers get without firing up the ICE? While the average slope is good to get a fantastic distance, I seem to remember just enough short uphills that may be just too tall to climb without the ICE, thus fouling the attempt.

#3 fuzzy1, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  4. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Nope, long flat Street going 30 mph. I glided on electric and then coasted with no narrows, pulse with electric, coasted with green arrows to the stop signs and gently brake, started back up with all yellow arrows.. Rarely used the ICE for the past 10-15 minutes. Just for fun. You can obviously tell it's not a down hill as you would see alot of green 50kw cars showing up meaning driving entirely coasting on green arrows.

#4 eman08, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That doesn't follow. If the slope is less than 1-2%, no green regen cars will show on the display, but even a 0.5% downhill slope will give a substantial boost to glide efforts. And in many places, such a shallow slope can easily be visually imperceptible.

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    image.jpeg
    3.1 l/100 km is 75.88 mpg(US) or 91.12 mpg(UK).
    74 km is 46 miles.

This is hypermiling but not trying to stay in EV mode.

Two points I'd like to make is a) you should not (and don't need to) force the car into EV mode to get good economy stats and b) it's more credible going a longer distance.

Anyone can get impressive economy stats going downhill with the wind behind you. If you really want to impress, try getting a good stat going there and back (down hill then back up hill to where you started or vice versa).

Not trying to be a smart Alec or a kill-joy. Just saying.

#6 dolj, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    Tideland Prius and Data Daedalus like this.
  7. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

The green cars comes from regenerate braking from stop signs. This was a long flat residential street I drove on for 15 mins and did a Ui and went back the other direction notice going from 3 to 6 miles. The speed limit was 30MPH

#7 eman08, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    okay, but that is neither coasting, nor gliding. i used to be able to go a mile or so on electricity, with my 2004 and 2008.

9. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Like with this one. Very few green cars, just mostly coasting with no arrows and gliding with yellow arrows. We have some pretty flat roads here in the Midwest. 1473608315051.jpg

#9 eman08, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For sure, flat land is a Prius' greatest friend.

50.3 mpg over 193 miles is a very respectable stat for that distance.

#10 dolj, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  11. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As the Dark Lord of the Sith would say, "Most Impressive".....!!

iPhone ?

12. oliviaspuppy

oliviaspuppy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is my favorite run. Mixed city highway with hills and traffic 1476826776725.jpg

13. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    IMG_5054.JPG

Early Thursday morning (20th October 2016), I set off for work at about 5.15am, as I usually do. Though it was rather cold at 9c in Wembley, UK, I was surprised to discover that the atmosphere was unusually dry, with not a single drop of moisture on "The Spaceship".

Y'see, in the preceding three days, I had come out early in the morning to find the entire vehicle dripping copiously with dew, and I really mean soaked in large amounts of the stuff - so much so, that I'd had to use my squeegee to remove it from the windows, bonnet, roof, headlights.....you get the general idea.

So, Thursday morning, it's cold, tinder dry air, and my Prius is bone dry! Initiated lift off procedures and quickly noticed I was down to my last bar of fuel as I glided down the hill from where I live.
    I duly diverted to my local ESSO fuel station (with its aptly named Synergy Fuels), which was barely a mile from my home.

I refuelled, taking on a full tank (it took 41 litres), and then headed out on to the A406 highway for my commute to my workplace in Walthamstow.

I piloted "The Spaceship" as I've always done; get onto the average speed camera zone of the A406, and invoke cruise control. As previously mentioned, I have used 2 of my GPS enabled phones to work out my true GPS speed, in relation to the actual displayed speed onboard my vehicle. So, I set cruise control to 43mph indicated - which translates to an actual 39mph GPS speed.

I commuted exactly as I've always done at that hour, when the three lane highway is relatively free, and most cars are also sticking to the speed limit. On the two expected occasions where I had to stop at traffic lights, I pulled away strongly, getting up to speed quickly (and leaving everyone else behind), before cutting in cruise control at the speed limit, getting out of everyone's way, and continuing my commute cruise. I went up and down the same hills, flyovers, and dived into the same underpass tunnels as I've always usually done.

The tunnels are out of the average speed cam zone, so, I literally speed up going into them (at about 65mpg), exploiting their "gravity wells", and get to fly up the other side, at up to 97mpg, albeit with my speed dropping by about 9mph by the time I exit on to level road. I ensure I do not constitute a nuisance to other road users, while doing this! And sometimes, a vehicle slowly pootling along in front of me, makes such a "gravity well manoeuvre" quite impossible - you end up crawling out of the tunnel at 31mpg.

But I was lucky on Thursday, two underpass tunnels swung through effortlessly, with a technique not disimilar to a spacecraft using the gravitational pull of a planet to swing around it partially, pick up speed, and flying away with an increased velocity. Now you know why I call my Prius "The Spaceship"......but, I digress.

I made it to the gates of my work place within the usual 33 minutes, with the last mile being aided by a rather very full traction battery, and a downhill section to my office, where I pulsed and glided on battery power only. I arrived with 7 bars on the traction battery.

I docked "The Spaceship" in her usual bay, and then ran through post flight shutdown protocols - and that's when I discovered that I'd traveled 15 miles from the ESSO fuel station to my office at 69.8mpg.

I have had the exact same similar conditions earlier this year, when I also pulled in to refuel before continuing my commute. Same station. Same fuel. Same journey, same luck, gravity (oh, alright, momentum) swinging through those two tunnels effortlessly. It was 12c that day, and I had a freak 70.9mpg indicated. Sweet!

Other factors worth mentioning; heating was in full off position, as was the ventilation fan; I relied on the air intakes to keep me comfortably aerated. I didn't freeze enroute, it was like having the A/C on though. I suspect the cabin eventually warms up to a point through convection from the ICE when it's running.
    I concentrated on staying in lanes where my progress would not be impeded, especially while on cruise control - not too difficult at 5.30am in the morning on a 3 lane highway.

I'm also aware that my first mile to the fuel station allowed the engine to warm up sufficiently enough for it to have been able to operate it its most efficient mode during my commute, as the MPG readings were consistently higher than my normal commute straight from home.

For the curious among us, by the end of my commute home (through mild to heavy traffic) I still had 66.4mpg on the MFD.

iPhone ?