1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hypermiling for dummies

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by octavia, Sep 5, 2009.

1. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Cool! As my level of understanding increases, I'll ask! :)
    I really do aspire to fully understand hypermiling. At this point, I'm working on all the easy stuff. I was already instinctively doing much of it. Coasting to stops, parking with thought etc. I do know I hit a ( is it the sweet spot) speed sometimes where I am getting 99 mpg and not coasting down hill. My foot is still putting some amount of pressure on the pedal and I seem to be able to sustain the same speed and this wonderful 99 for some time, I have no idea how to predict where I will find it though... not yet anyway.

Also, I'm driving a gen II for a few more days then will get my gen III. The display is so much different, that I hesitate to throw myself into the gen II information to much.

I'm reading through several of the links that have been offered here too. I've realized that some of the information is for standard ice, not hybrid specific and am trying to figure out what still applies and what doesn't.
    Thanks everyone for your input and help!

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not a problem but I'd like to offer a few early tips:

• S4 - it takes a while, 1-3 miles depending upon temperature before the car is able to stop the engine automatically. Ken@Japan brought the first formal description of the warm-up cycles. The last is the "idle ceremony" that involves letting the engine stop, after it is warmed up, while the car is stopped.
    • maximum EV speed, 46 mph - the 2010 Prius is able to stop the engine at any speed below 46 mph and proceed on battery power or 'glide'. There are several definitions of 'glide' but I prefer to use "N" that means no power to or from the traction battery. Others have different definitions and Ken@Japan's lower quadrant of the HSI certainly has merit.
    • let off the accelerator - by letting off the accelerator, the car will flip into automatic 'drag' mode and if below 46 mph, the engine will stop. Then you have the option of using "N" or some partial accelerator to 'glide' (aka., the lower quadrant of HSI.)
    • acceleration setting - this is Ken@Japan's band in the HSI, a power region that efficiently converts gasoline in to vehicle acceleration (aka., potential energy.)
    Understand that my benchmark 2010 Prius testing shows a 25% relative MPG improvement over the equivalent, steady speed. However, this requires a substantial difference in speed ranges, 25 to 43 mph. To the best of my knowledge, only SAE 2009-01-1322, along with 'a Priori' have ever quantified this effect. A few others have done the experiment but been reserved about publishing their results. However, you have an opportunity to quantify and report the effect for your particular route.

Understand, I'm only interested in seeing what folks are getting comparing PnG versus the equivalent steady-state speed. Your data, if you choose to share it, will be another data point.

Bob Wilson

3. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    One more thing. Put the Prius in ECO-Mode (the little button by EV). If you find that you can't drive the car in ECO-Mode without going into the PWR region of the HSI display, you need to learn to drive less aggressively. Aggressive driving can never be done efficiently.