1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hypermiling the Highlander?

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by Tadashi, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone hypermiled the the Highlander Hybrid? I get about 70 MPG in our Prius, however we need a new vehicle that has 7 person capacity for special occasions. I figure if I can get at least 50 MPG then it might be worth it (changing from Prius to Highlander).

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think 50 will be tough. On my usual commute that I average around 70 on I can get up to around 40-45mpg in our HiHy. My wife isn't a hypermiler, but she's learned a few things about technique and is a careful driver and seems to be able to get about 30mpg on a good tank with her shortish commute. I'm pretty sure 35-40 would be doable for you, but I think 50's asking a bit much out of such a big vehicle.

3. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ Oct 1 2007, 12:44 AM) [snapback]519701[/snapback]</div>
    I've been thinking about moving up to the Highlander too. I was looking in to the Escape hybrid but am leery of going with an Escape when friends have so much trouble with theirs and CR says that the body integrity has gotten worse from the 2007 to 2008. The thing is, once you've gone hybrid, it's really difficult to go back to gas-only cars. I'm actually talking with the dealer about it but would probably want to sell privately since the extended warranty would be going to waste if I traded it in.

4. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Oct 1 2007, 11:36 AM) [snapback]519841[/snapback]</div>
    Sure Jack, you have multiple friends with Escape hybrids? and CR has already reported the differneces from '07 to '08? Whatever you say. ;)

5. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE( @ Oct 1 2007, 01:03 PM) [snapback]519855[/snapback]</div>
    Like it or not, the consumer values CR's data. I know that the Detroit 3 guys hate it but that's only because you don't have many happy customers so it always seems like you're being picked on. Now you know how your former customers feel. Actually, I know two people with Ford Escape hybrids and I know several who own Escapes. Cracked windshields, noisy in the cabin, cheap parts, many defects, minor and major engine problems. As a matter of fact, if you look at CR's online data on the Escape hybrid, they DO specify the 2008 as having worse body integrity than the 2007. I have no reason to doubt them, based on experience. Also, I have no reason to believe a GM car salesman, again based on experience.

6. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Oct 1 2007, 12:16 PM) [snapback]519860[/snapback]</div>
    You are full of it Jack. I am starting to read some of your old posts, and you really are full of it. You continue reel off what sound just like Toyota talking points on many different products. Coincidence? I also like that reference to warranty, a consumer would never make that reference.

7. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Oct 1 2007, 01:22 PM) [snapback]519864[/snapback]</div>
    you are a sad, strange little man. Back on to the ignore list with you---I cast you out. :lol:

8. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Oct 1 2007, 12:26 PM) [snapback]519868[/snapback]</div>
    You and Toyota will get yours....it has already started. :eek: Toyota will announce a sales decline year over year for what will be the 4th out of the last 6th months. Now if that was anyone else it would have already been noticed. ;)

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thread Crapping posts deleted...

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ Oct 1 2007, 12:44 AM) [snapback]519701[/snapback]</div>
    Our AWD 400h Lexus SUV is the same as the HY HI except for the body, pretty much. Best I did on a single tank (not full blown hypermileing) in the 400h was 33mpg ... so I'm positive I could get 40, if I could just keep "she who must be obeyed" out from behind the wheel, for one full tank. That guestimate is based off a 700 miles -71.6mpg best tank in the Prius.

11. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ Sep 30 2007, 11:44 PM) [snapback]519701[/snapback]</div>
    You can fit seven in to the 2008 HiHy if you remove the center console in the second row and replace it with the center cushion. Whichever you aren't using slides in to the back of the front row's center console. I've gotten it up to 30 mpg and since the 2008 HiHy can get in to EV mode a lot easier than the Prius, if you can drive 35 to 40 most of the way (my commute is 40 miles one-way) then I believe that you can get it to 35 mpg without too much trouble but I'm still in the process of proving that.

2008 HiHy review is HERE

12. Chrome

Chrome New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If high mileage is your only goal, you may have to go with the Escape. Its 4-cylinder is a clear advantage over the V6 in the HyHi from a strictly economical standpoint.

And the '08s aren't too bad looking. The '08 HyHi, however, is bigger and heavier than the previous generation, and that may have real-world consequences.

13. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chrome @ Nov 15 2007, 08:59 AM) [snapback]539921[/snapback]</div>
    Of course, you have to contend with the three month wait for the Escape hybrid and essentially buy it before you even get to test drive it because none of the Ford dealers that I've talked to (and I've talked to several around here) have one on the lot and act as if they've never even seen one. That's the reality. Good luck if you choose that route.

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i know this is off topic, but what is the latest on a hybrid mini van??

i cant for the life of me understand why a plug in version cannot be made. it has the extra space for a larger NiMH battery pack and...

heck...

15. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The prius has a 7 person capacity... just stick 2 of em in the truck... and hope the total weight isn't too high...

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob64 @ Nov 16 2007, 11:03 PM) [snapback]540856[/snapback]</div>
    I think someone dreamt of it once and when he woke up, removed the 3rd row from his SUV (an American one. I don't remember the exact model) and by chance, it fit in the back of the Prius facing rearward). It works since the seatbelts are built into the 3rd row.

17. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chrome @ Nov 15 2007, 05:59 AM) [snapback]539921[/snapback]</div>
    That is why Toyota needs to develop cylinder deactivition already. It would have been a much better mpg car if they do that instead of developing so many gas guzzler.

18. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I want the Highlander for the hybrid engine and the 7 seat capacity. The Escape cannot fit as much nor tow 3500 lbs should I ever have the need. Plus I think I can easily get better mileage than the Escape with my driving habits.

19. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ Nov 19 2007, 12:12 AM) [snapback]541437[/snapback]</div>
    Better than the Escape? I'd like to see that and time will tell certainly but the Escape is a 4-cylinder and the HiHy is a six with 4WD. Definitely a much beefier vehicle than the Escape but the mileage is pretty close. If you live in a relatively flat area then you can probably get better mileage than I do. The problem here is that there are so damn many hills. Just when I get in to EV mode for a little while and get ready to get the mpg up, I have to climb a hill.

20. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ Nov 19 2007, 12:12 AM) [snapback]541437[/snapback]</div>
    I was able to get the HiHy up to 35 today on a little hypermiling trip to work. I didn't have the SLR with me so I got a couple of shots of the mileage with my cellphone camera. The MPG later dropped down the current 32.2 so if you're lurking out there, malorn, there's your g**da**ed proof that the HiHy can achieve 32. I have pictures that I'll post later. Considering that it's a wee bit cold outside, I'm pretty sure that I can achieve 35 fairly easily and consistently in the summer with occasional forays in to the near-forty range.