1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hypermiling

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by HPrimeAdvanced, May 19, 2017.

1. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I didn't see a post for hypermiling or hypermilers, the practice of maximizing your fuel economy, especially as it applies to hybrid and electric vehicles.
    Hypermilers frequently achieve significantly better MPG results than the values reported by the EPA or car manufacturers.
    Please share what you do and your results if you practice hypermiling.
    Thanks !

Prius from Dad, bisco and dalcon95 like this.
  2. dalcon95

dalcon95 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Driving coach helps alot. I use pure gas and inflate my tires at 42 psi.

#1 in Easley,SC

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    For efficient driving:
    • fully inflate the tires
    • drive as slowly as traffic allows by following semi-trailer trucks, delivery and service trucks, and pickups towing a trailer
    • anticipate stops by slowing down early and try to reach a stop light when it changes
    Bob Wilson

ps. Qualifications, 2010 Prius, July 21, 2013:
    [​IMG]

Took just under three weeks while working; driven solo; minimum one hour duration per trip; cruise control set 26 mph, and; shift to "N" on down grades.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With fuel prices so low, these threads simply haven't had much activity and are no longer anywhere near the top.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  5. Jnbrown

Jnbrown Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It means you are driving so slow that people behind you get annoyed.
    I know because I used to be the one getting annoyed, now the shoe is on the other foot.

dalcon95 likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That is why you follow large trucks to camouflage what you're doing. Following traffic passes the truck and does not tailgate the Prius until they can pass.

Bob Wilson

7. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ah, but the key to good hypermiling is not to annoy ANYONE while achieving excellent mileage. Rush-hour traffic kept me at a forced maximum speed of about 48MPH for the 30-mile round trip. The trip was smooth with almost no stopping and I was able to get a calculated EV-only range of 37.6 miles, far better than the 25 miles posted by the EPA. Didn't need A/C or heat in the 72 degree temperature. Nobody got held up by me, and I got excellent mileage. ! Rock on Prime!

8. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Three rules:
    Drive safely
    Drive courteously
    Drive economically

Inflating the tires above the cold inflation pressures shown on the placard on the car will reduce traction. The limit of traction will be lower. People who have done this with no problem have been fortunate to not need the maximum limit of traction of their tires. Don't inflate above the max pressure shown on the tire sidewall. (I know some have run at increased pressure, and at their own risk.) Higher pressure causes a shorter contact patch of the tire on the pavement--less traction. It also has less flex in the tire for reduced rolling resistance--saves a bit of gas--and reduced heat in the tire--adds to tire life. Everything is a compromise.

Depending on the shape of the car, running at speed with open windows can have a lot of drag and be less efficient than running with windows closed and AC on.

Dael, dalcon95 and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  9. Jnbrown

Jnbrown Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yeah I do try to stay in slow lanes of traffic.

Data Daedalus and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can do the pulse and glide pretty well, without bothering too many people. it's going the speed limit that drive's people batty.

Data Daedalus and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  11. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    What's a speed limit??!! Out here, it's considered a rock bottom minimum manditory speed that if not substantially exceeded will result in a full extension of the middle digit by all frustrated and enraged passersby!! Sometimes it's accompanied by honking like geese, challenges of heredity, and/or threats to life directed at the felonious perpetrator!!

Nic Steussy, Data Daedalus and bisco like this.
  12. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    my name is Tom and I'm a hypermiler, not a fanatical one. :p I've been doing if for about 11 years starting with a 99 Solara then a 2012 v. I've used a lot of the techniques mentioned here. I over inflate tires, drive fairly slowly (trying to be considerate of other drivers) and a host of other things. 1 thing I used to do was pulse and glide, even on slight declines, but that isn't too efficient in the Prime. For the Prime on slight declines I use the HV portion of the battery to pick up speed and get farther up the incline without the ICE coming on. I've never been able to use HV battery over 43 mph, but with the Prime I use it a lot at any speed. :D My commute is 72 miles round trip and the last 2 days I got 155.1 and 158.8 mpg on 1 charge each day. Mind=Blown. Never thought that would be possible. Loving the Prime. Prime On!

#12 Prius from Dad, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
  13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Tom, I ran a benchmark testing pulse-and-glide vs the equivalent constant speed using our BMW i3-REx and found no measurable difference. Speculation on my part but improved control laws and deep EV especially in the Prime makes pulse-and-glide ineffective.

Bob Wilson

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    shouldn't the motor have an efficiency curve which would relate to a most efficient mph? (not that you can drive one speed all the time)

Data Daedalus likes this.
  15. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I agree that it is not efficient for the Prime. I've never done any testing but I'm glad you have and shown that is ineffective. (y)

alexcue and dalcon95 like this.
  16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Compared to an engine, hardly any and actually inverse of a throttle engine. Engines are inefficient at partial loads and really become efficient at higher power. Electric motor inefficiencies are more rpm related and the efficiency changes much smaller than an engine.

Bob Wilson

17. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Puse-and-glide is only meaningful when in HV mode, where all the energy is ultimately coming from the ICE. Pulse-and glide is an attempt to have the ICE always running in its most efficient conditions. The "pulse" is designed to load the ICE and put it into its efficient range. Part of the energy goes into the battery. The "glide" then uses the electric motors for a while. None of that is particularly meaningful when using just the electric motors.

18. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'm not *quite* sure I think of that as a "key", but I do know this: Whenever I'm hypermiling, I find myself glancing in the rear-view mirror/s about 5x as often as when I'm NOT trying to maximize efficiency...

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  20. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    FIRST of all: "Hello, Tom."
    SECOND of all: Those are some AWESOME (MPGe) numbers!

Data Daedalus and Prius from Dad like this.