1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hypothetical question - PiP Potential 90% Hwy Commute

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by F8L, Jul 2, 2012.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But you paid a good price for your Base model. If I had purchased the Base I may not have switched but I couldn't stomach the $40k car payment knowing it wasn't $40k car quality. The fact I could switch to the Volt and not lose my shirt helped. I'm not rich by any means and I frankly "shouldn't" afford this car but I got myself into a mess when I bought the PIPA and I am simply trying to dig myself out and have a little fun in the process. :) On the bright side, my credit rating goes up each time I pay off a car and get a new one. lol

You made the best choice given the data at hand. I've a feeling that prices on the Volt will drop even further if they don't move enough 2013s before the 2014s start shipping. With such potential savings you could make the switch without it hurting too much. Still, you have a great car and you got it for a good price!

mmmodem likes this.
  2. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is my return commute for Dennis.

Driven at 60mph freeway with no AC. Just like I would drive the PIP.
    image.jpg image.jpg

3. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    So how many miles are you getting from a full charge? Based on the photos it looks like your getting pretty good numbers. It looks as though you are getting better MPG's in the Volt than the PIP. Is this true?

What do you think of the cargo space compared to the PIP? Have you had a chance to test the space with luggage or anything yet?

I traded in my 04 Tundra and 08 Prius on my PIP. I have since picked up a trailer hitch and trailer. I must say I love my PIP. I am always amazed how much I can fit into my PIP and how much I can haul. I run a property management company and I am always moving appliances, zero turn mowers, cabinets etc. I can even fit sheets of cement board in the back of the PIP. Whats funny is that My back seats have only seen the light of day for maybe 2 or 3 days and I have owned this car for a year. The rest of the time the seats are down.

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Jimbo.

The space is much reduced compared to the PIP. I would not suggest it is you have to haul large items like you listed. I decided to make the trade of cargo room for efficiency and fun. I'll just have to use the company truck for larger items now.

The fuel economy in the PIP looked like this.

Morning commute=58-64mpg (3.2kWh? Used)
    Evening commute=75-104mpg (3.2kWh? Used)

The fuel economy in the Volt looks like this so far:

Morning commute=120-188mpg (10.5kWh used)
    Evening commute= all EV with 4-12miles to spare. (8-9kWh used)

iplug and markabele like this.
  5. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    . Very nice displays, imagine what you could do if you took it out of Park. :)

F8L likes this.
  6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd probably crash while trying to take the picture. :p

7. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ;)

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Specific section of the trip does not mean much. What's important is the average of all gas miles per gallons used.

On that trip, you went 6.4 miles on 0.26 gallon of gas. That's 24.6 MPG -- gas miles per gas gallon.

You did very well on the EV miles since you drove it on the "easy" / not so much uphill miles. Per EPA, a full charge requires 13.4 kWh of electricity (or 0.397 gallon equivalent).

41.9 EV miles / 0.397 gallon equivalent = 106 MPGe. You did better than the EPA 98 MPGe estimate.

This is why you need to look at both fuel efficiency and consumption. You can give the EV mode easy miles and the gas MPG would suffer -- and vice versa.

Total distance = 48.4 miles
    Total fuel = 0.397 gallon(e) + 0.26 gallon = 0.657 gallon(e)

Your combined fuel efficiency is 48.4 / 0.657 = 73.7 MPGe

The bogus 188 MPG displayed was calculated by dividing 48.4 total distance with only the 0.26 gas gallon (ignoring electricity).

Your trip back home easily beats the EPA estimate since it is mostly downhill.