1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hypothetical question - Prius minus the HSD

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Ophbalance, Mar 11, 2012.

?

Does the HSD matter at any speed?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I seriously don't care!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Part of the problem with the logic here (to me) is this; the Prius is not an economy car. And, if we're going to be comparing stripped down cars, then we need to exclude the Prius from that lineup. If you wanted to compare it to something that's got more options, such as ABS, ESC, the NAV and everything else, you're not going to come close to having a 12k difference.

So, let's lay it out this way.

• IF you're going to spend $22-30k on a NEW car, regardless of what might be out there in the value segment, the Prius is hard to beat on fuel economy to value returned.
    • IF you're planning to spend $15k on a car, whether it be used or new, the Prius is hard to beat on fuel economy to value returned if you buy it used vs a new value segment 4 banger.
    • IF you're planning on buying the most stripped down NEW value segment car you can find, it cannot ever make up the cost difference of buying a NEW Prius in gas usage.
    So, yes, there are cases where buying the cheapest thing will make sense for an individual. I had to make a choice in 2009 between a Pruis and a new Elantra or other B segment car. A new Elantra, even then, was 17k pretty stripped. The Prius I bought was $16 with 32k miles on it. The Elantra, on the best of days, would have got me 40 MPG for the most part. The Prius, on an better days, gives me 60 MPG combined with an 80% highway trip. The Prius won, hands down. I also put 30k miles a year on whatever I'm driving.

If we carry it just one step further, you should buy the most stripped down used clunker you can get for $1200. And hope it doesn't need anything replaced in a year or two. Drive the wheels off of it, rinse, lather, repeat.

1 person likes this.