1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hyundai Accent Hybrid

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Screwdriver, Jun 5, 2006.

1. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope my dashmat helps a little against warpage! You traded your GT in for $8.5k? WHY?! I know trade in's get "screwed", but wow you really could have sold that car easily for more money. My friend purchased a used 2002 GT, while I had my 2003, and the quality seemed a little lower, I don't know why 1 year would make a difference. The leather I hated, I am NOT a leather person, and I didn't like that it was standard at the 2003 model year, I think in '04 it became an option. My friend sold his '02 with 62k miles for $11,500. He said it was "too much car for him", so he went back to driving his '78 Toyota truck, that lasted a couple months, then he realized that having a new car has it's benefit's and went out and bought a Chevy Aveo- you wanna talk about BAD plastics?!!!

2. Screwdriver

Screwdriver New Member

Wow! I guess that makes the decision process alot easier.

3. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    By 2009, I can't imagine what new technology the Prius will boast! Hmm... "You only get 100 mpg? That's a gas guzzler!"

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jun 6 2006, 09:58 AM) [snapback]266716[/snapback]</div>
    Honestly Jonny, I think you might have the lousiest car Toyota ever made and you bought it. Your car seems to be riddled with problems or so you make it seem so. The only exposed screw I can think of is down by the driver's footrest, by that scuff/kick plate. The Prius is our 4th Toyota and while it does have a few more problems than our first 97 Corolla (which had none as far as I recall in its shortened life of 30,000kms), it's still well within my threshold of crappiness. I've sat in my share of courtesy cars since our cars tend to be magnets for rear enders and t-bone...umm.. sounds bad but you know what I mean. 00 Cav, 03 Protegé, 03 Sentra. I have to say the Protegé was one of the better ones.. if not for its rock hard rear suspension.

5. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jun 6 2006, 07:43 PM) [snapback]266955[/snapback]</div>
    Well, to be fair, it only died twice in the first two weeks. It hasn't died since. Yet.

And I *know* you have more exposed screws than you think. Look inside the hand grab of your door's armrest (unless Canadians get better parts). And I'd be happy to take photos of the gaps and misaligned interior panels anytime. :(

I honestly think this is because I've had more 'upscale/luxury' cars in the past. Once you're used to panels that just fit, things like this get to you.

6. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jun 6 2006, 06:05 PM) [snapback]266990[/snapback]</div>
    My Prius is well made but I am not a "luxury" car person. Utility and comfort are always top of the list for me but the Prius has cemented the need for me to be more responsible to the environment as well. I've driven Fords, Chevy's and Chrysler/Dodge. I have never regretted any of my Toyotas as they were reliable and held up to terrific abuse in my younger years. The promise of minimal service is a big reason that I would buy another Prius.

7. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ Jun 6 2006, 09:43 PM) [snapback]267001[/snapback]</div>

I just see it this way now... I can get one of quite a few PZEV vehicles on the market, and all of them except the Prius have things like comfortable seats and telescoping steering wheels. And most of them are properly put together and don't have random shutdowns or snapping steering columns.

I'm all for being environmentally responsible, that's why I got the Prius and that's why I invest so much in being responsible where my house is concerned... but a comfortable spine and a car that runs are more important. And I can't comment to Toyota's quality, as this is my first, but my impression is so bad that the Prius will most certainly be my last Toyota.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jun 6 2006, 06:56 PM) [snapback]267004[/snapback]</div>
    I noticed the exposed screwholes in the door handles awhile ago, but I still wonder about your vehicle or the issues you claim to have... The interior and exterior of my car looks fine.

Heck, my 02 Nissan Maxima (sold it) and my 04 Nissan 350Z don't have telescoping steering columns, but they aren't PZEV.

Other cars and makes have recalls too. Go list of off some of your alternatives and look back a few models years, I'm sure you'll find some recalls. FWIW, I had these 3 recalls on my Maxima http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems...rintVersion=YES and this 1 on my Z http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems...rintVersion=YES. One of the Maxima recalls was this one http://www.cnn.com/2003/BUSINESS/10/30/nis...l.ap/index.html that covered 2.56 million vehicles.

As for snapping steering columns, has yours snapped? From http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13046349/, "Toyota said there have been no reported crashes or injuries connected to the problem in the U.S" and "The recall follows more than 30 complaints filed with Toyota since March 2004". 30 out of 1 million isn't a lot but clearly it's a big enough issue that a recall was warranted.

As for seat comfort... I frankly was a bit concerned judging by complaints here and admit they're not the most comfortable car seats in the world (my Z's seats are way more comfortable) but not horrible either. I drove 6 hours to LA in the Prius and 6 hours back a few days later and was fine.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jun 6 2006, 06:56 PM) [snapback]267004[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with salsawonder. No way in heck is the Prius a luxury car. If I could, I'd rather have our Camry's soft-touch plastic instead of the smooth painted plastic. Given that, it doesn't feel cheap, compared to, say, the Yaris' smooth plastic. It's a pity Toyota has failed you on the first time.

10. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Jun 7 2006, 02:45 AM) [snapback]267126[/snapback]</div>

What specifically do you wonder about? Your car doesn't have the wearing fabric? Or the dash panels that don't line up? Lucky guy. And as for the stalling issues, look back at my posting history... I was quite the prius advocate when I started out until the car died twice on me, at which point I became a bit more wary about the car.

And no, my steering column has not snapped, obviously. I just find it distressing that such a thing is even possible. And let's be fair, if a GM car were suffering from the same problem and GM had issued a recall, it'd be the subject of many jokes on this board.

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jun 7 2006, 11:12 AM) [snapback]267272[/snapback]</div>
    No, you totally freaked out and was absolutely furious with the people that pointed out the fix already available. And you still bring up the stalling to this day, despite the fact that it is long since overcome.

I'd be upset too, knowing that the dealer should have been more proactive. You suffered because he wasn't. But why do we have to continue suffering? How many years ago was that! Geez!!

Take a close look at Camry-Hybrid. There are obvious improvements in the design. Moving Forward...

12. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Jun 7 2006, 12:37 PM) [snapback]267294[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, John, I don't recall you popping into to that thread, and your memory is obviously fuzzy. However this was *before* the fix was widely available and it was while Toyota was still experimenting with different kinds of packing grease to seal the bad connector. And the only person I got mildly annoyed was the person who suggested it was because I had installed an EV Switch (which I hadn't).

And for every forward step toyota takes, they also seem to take one and a half back. Still, it's progress of a sort.

13. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I have relatives that bought a Classic Prius back in 2002. Had some problems, sold it and are driving Chryslers now and haven't heard any complaints. To each their own.

Maybe Toyotas aren't everyone's bag. Or the Prius to be more specific. I say if someone is so unenamored with their car, get into something that does make u happy/comfortable/proud. Life's too short to stick with something that doesn't work for you. LOTS of choices.

I chose a Prius and am among the 95% that are happy and would buy again. In fact we DID buy another. 2 Prii. Twice the satisfaction. Twice the smugness.

If people are used to something and will not adapt to new things (I won't say compromise, because the Prius is NOT a compromise), then that's that. Be happy, drive what YOU want and like, not what those smug Prius weirdos like!

Cheers,

Curt.

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jun 7 2006, 11:48 AM) [snapback]267299[/snapback]</div>
    I remember your many insults like that very well. You gave me grief back then and it's still happening now.

Have you already forgotten that I recently asked you *HOW* the upcoming Malibu-Hybrid would achieve better efficiency than Camry-Hybrid and you replied with a *WHY* answer instead?

The purpose of this topic is to also explain the value behind the hybrids that provide less of an electric contribution than those like Prius. A constructive discussion identifying design points would do that. But whenever we try, the topic gets undermined by some pointless diversion. In this case, you started complaining about "misaligned panels and exposed screws". How is that even the slightest bit relevent to what the competition will offer when the Hyundai hybrid becomes available?

15. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Jun 7 2006, 07:12 PM) [snapback]267541[/snapback]</div>
    As before, I will limit myself to one reply to you John... at least until your reading comprehension improves. Someone else pointed out that Kia is now owned by Hyundai, and that a Kia had misaligned panels and exposed screws, and I pointed out that the same was available on the Prius.

And I also pointed out that Malibu hybrid will be using the same drivetrain as the Vue hybrid, which nets a 20% improvement. Surely you can make that logic leap... can't you?

16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jun 7 2006, 07:09 PM) [snapback]267566[/snapback]</div>
    Because it "will be using the same drivetrain" contains absolutely no technical information whatsoever. To inform how, you have to provide something with respect to how the system actually works.

Whenever I point out the superiority of "full" hybrids, you respond in this repeated manner... vague and an attempt to draw focus elsewhere.

Hybrids like Malibu, Vue, and Accent will definitely provide an emission & efficiency improvement, but not as much as a "full" hybrid. They may not be as powerful or offered in a wide variety of configurations either. They have no potential for aftermarket electric augmentation. For that matter, they are pretty much a dead-end for the automakers as well.