1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid the new MPG champion, beats Prius Two Eco

Discussion in 'Hyundai/Kia/Genesis Hybrids and EVs' started by Gokhan, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The reported difference between Ford and Hyundai was that Hyundai's overstated MPG wasn't intentional.
    I posted a story in other cars of the Niro getting 76.6mpg on a cross country trip.

farmecologist, Felt and mmmodem like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that may or may not be, but tesla is only 12 years old, and elon musk 38

a suitable topic may be more suitable than a less suitable topic, but mpge is now the cats meow

nissan and leaf regardless of comfortable city dude

3. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    That comment aged poorly

Ioniq seems to have turned out exactly how I thought it would

4. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    In December 2016:
    Haha, no, aged very well. A question was asked, made no predictions.

Not sure what you thought would happen, but Ionic was discontinued and Hyundai moved on with a related name but different vehicles.

5. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And the Prius c was discontinued here previously, and the Prius remodel keeps getting pushed back.

6. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    To answer the question, the challenge was not accepted.

Buyers remained largely uninterested in efficient small to medium sized hybrids/plug-ins. Toyota and Hyundai pulled back from that segment. Hyundai then moved on more quickly than Toyota into pure BEVs and specifically into larger vehicle classes the market was more receptive to.

7. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I always though the Ioniq was a nice vehicle. I have had the sister vehicle the NIRO Plug In Hybrid for 3 years and 40,000 miles. I am very satisfied with it. That being said Hyundai and KIA do not promote these vehicles at all. I don't know how a customer would even know they are available without searching the website. I get the impression they sell all they make without having to advertise them.

We found out about the KIA NIRO when doing a google search for the most efficient gas/electric (Plug In) available in America. At the time the Ioniq was listed #1, the Prius Prime #2 and the KIA NIRO #3. When searching for a vehicle that gets 50mpg on gas and over 25 miles on electric there are not many choices and all three of these stood out as affordable offerings with the Ioniq and NIRO still available for the $4500 Federal rebate. I guess Hyundai decided to move in a different direction and discontinue the Ioniq line, the NIRO trio of Hybrid, Plug in Hybrid and all electric are going strong but you would never know it from KIA advertising.

#27 John321, Jun 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  8. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My parents have their original 2018 Ioniq plug-in hybrid and still love it.

Most unfortunately remain uninterested in small-medium sized energy efficient vehicles. Over the years have spoken about this to many friends, family, and colleagues and the issue is not for lack of information on the subject, but for their desire of large vehicles like SUVs and trucks.

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Ioniq had to go to avoid confusion with the planned BEV line up. Hyundai has the Elantra, Sonata, Tucson, and Santa Fe available as hybrids. The SUVs also have PHEVs.

I have heard Hyundai and Kia plan to let their sedans die off when time for a redesign comes around.

John321 likes this.
  10. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You may be right - both these companies seem to focus their energies on their SUV offerings and seem to pride themselves on being known as a SUV manufacturer. I wonder if this will bite them in the rear in the future. They both seem committed to offer compact efficient SUV's as part of their overall strategy, at least for now.

11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Not having a full line up of SUVs bit Hyundai at the beginning of the recent SUV craze. The loss of sedans, if it happens, will only be in North America.

John321 likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same as transition to borg, resistance is futile

PaulDM likes this.