1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Hyundai IONIQ - Prius competitor?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by GasperG, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Wide Screen Navigation Manual is 308 pages

2. southjerseycraig

southjerseycraig Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I guess the key question isn't length but quality. I think the Prius 2010 manual is not particularly helpful in key areas (like folding down the rear seats). If these new manuals are better, that's great despite their length). But I wouldn't want to drop one on my toe.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    yea, seemingly - one of the most ridiculously complex Vehicles ever manufactured over the last few years was the model X - from Towing, to air suspension levels, to its giant screen readouts, to multi driver seat position/lumbar support/driver's phone /seat /lumbar support/mirror/headrest / garage door opening preferences - it's PDF file is 198 pages. So, that begs the question, do you really need more documentation then that?

Bluecar1 and Prodigyplace like this.
  4. LasVegasaurusRex

LasVegasaurusRex Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hyundai and Bisimoto built an 80-mpg Ioniq for SEMA

According to Bisimoto on Instagram the vehicle has carbon fiber 19x5 wheels each weighing 31.5 lbs with tires, high efficiency motor oil, and a pulse chamber exhaust (whatever that means)

I'm very curious to learn more about the spark plugs and oil. And I'm pretty sure I don't want to know the price of the wheels :) but I am curious exactly how much each individual piece contributed.

5. Bluecar1

Bluecar1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    full spec at http://www.hyundainews.com/us/en/media/pressreleases/48902/hyundai-joins-forces-with-bisimoto-engineering-to-create-hypereconiq-ioniq-concept-for-2017-sema-sho1

"
    “The HyperEconiq Ioniq takes the Ioniq where we always knew it could go, without sacrificing drivability,” said Bisi Ezerioha, president, Bisimoto Engineering. “Leveraging the outstanding Ioniq electrified platform and powertrain, we’ve focused on a variety of technical elements to bring efficiency, aero and design to the highest level.”

HYPERECONIQ IONIQ CONCEPT MODIFICATIONS
    • Bisimoto pulse-chamber exhaust system for enhanced volumetric efficiency
    • Racepak OBD-monitoring electronics with interactive OBD cluster
    • Bespoke eco low-friction PurOl Elite Synthetic Oil (0W20)
    • Low-rolling resistance, high-silica tires
    • ARP wheel studs
    • Buddy Club aluminum brake calipers
    • Recaro Pole Position racing seats
    • Carbon Revolution 19" x 5.0" CR-9 one-piece carbon-fiber wheels
    • First one-piece OEM application
    • Bisimoto Dream Aero kit (front splitter, TA wing, side splitters, rear wheel covers)
    • Progress Performance coilover suspension
    • Minimized ground clearance
    • Optimized alignment settings
    • Enhanced e-generators
    • NGK spark plugs
    • Optimized inertial supercharging during valvetrain overlap
    • Combined fuel economy well over 80 mpg (83 Bisimoto-tests)
    • Concept initial render by Matko Graphic
      "

LasVegasaurusRex likes this.
  6. southjerseycraig

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does "minimized grouind clearance" mean "don't try to drive this vehicle in the snow?"

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It means, unless they added air suspension (so you can periodically change the vehicle's height) , which is more weight, you're not going to get up that driveway apron unless you take it via a one wheel diagonal at a time. Much like everything in life - it's a series of trade-offs.
    ;)
    Actually I don't really understand all the hubbub, bragging about 84 MPG. For one thing, this is not even something that's designed to ever hit the highway and production. Yet, 3 years ago, VW did an actual production run of 250 high mileage vehicles that (even allowing for U.S. MPG conversions & higher BTUs of diesel) on US epa standards - yielded over 185 MPG. That's right, over 100 MPG higher than the Hyundai one-off vehicle.

Volkswagen 1-litre car - Wikipedia

[​IMG]
    As Barney Fife used to say, "move along people - nothing to see here" .

#2087 hill, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It looks like the Ioniq already calls for 0w20 oil, so I don't think that special low-friction one in the 80mpg car does much.
    More be really careful of speed bumps. Corvettes require accelerating while the front axle clears, and then braking for the rear. This shifts the car's weight around, and resulting lifting provides more clearance over the bump.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  9. southjerseycraig

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just don't understand the point of producing a one-off model that clearly can never be sold as a production vehicle. Just to prove the car could do 84 miles per gallon if it were driven on a perfectly flat and snowless world? I want to see models that actually can be developed.

#2089 southjerseycraig, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    pilotgrrl, RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was looking for something else and came across:

NOTE: another driving stunt that does not impress me.

Bob Wilson

pilotgrrl likes this.
  12. southjerseycraig

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know we have board members who are into hyper-miling,but it's never made the slightest sense to me. The Prius gets exceptional fuel economy even without odd driving -- that's the point of the Prius.

13. LasVegasaurusRex

LasVegasaurusRex Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

I'm no stranger to one-off marketing stunts and "concept cars" that will never see the light of day. Frankly I include the Volkswagen in that category, as it's essentially a motorized velomobile.

That being said, I've learned to appreciate and pay attention to the little things. While wheel skirts, aero kits, and 100+mpg impractical frankenmobiles are nothing new, this is a traditional and good looking, utilitarian vehicle -- wheel covers and all. There's nothing really objectionable about it in terms of looks. Actually I think the wheel covers on the front look awesome, and I'd happily buy a set of them for any of my cars.

https://i.imgur.com/KGL0G58.jpg

And, while expensive things like carbon fiber wheels are currently cost-prohibitive for mass market cars like the Prius, they have already entered the high-end consumer market. Eventually these things do trickle down.

BTW just a side note, I highly recommend taking a test ride with carbon fiber wheels at your local bike shop. You might be surprised at just how much of a difference shaving half the weight off your wheels makes. Granted this difference will be much more noticeable on a bicycle than a car for a litany of reasons, it's still exciting tech!

pilotgrrl and RCO like this.
  14. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    High end sports cars and racers have known the benefits of minimizing unsprung weight for years. Carbon fiber brake rotors and the lightest wheels can cost tens of thousands on some makes.

RCO likes this.
  15. southjerseycraig

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As a Consumer Reports subscriber, I am able to see their on-line video reviews. They killed the Ioniq because (a) the stopping distance is long; and (b) the car absorbs bumps poorly. I looked at their Prius review, and they were a little more positive about that car, although it seems to take a long time to go 0-60. (I saw on the video the joystick transmission shifter on the Prius Generation 4, and thought it was awful.)

16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The PWR mode pedal mapping speeds acceleration. Eco mode is the default when new.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  17. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And therein lies the problem for the Prius! You have probably never used the Gen 4's shifter, yet you thought it was awful. Perhaps you would be pleasantly surprised to find it's very comfortable in the hand and remarkably simple to operate when you are accustomed to it. Sometimes the Gen 4 is damned by preconceptions rather than judged on its merits, particularly in the power-crazy motoring media.

18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How is it much different than the joystick shifter on Gen 2 & 3?
    It is more conveniently positioned than the Gen 2 one, for sure. I have driven Gen 2 & Prius v, for comparison.

19. Bluecar1

Bluecar1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yep anything that is different from what the reviewer is used is left on default which is a "safe" setting and probably not the optimum, and if the reviewer only gets a short time to test the car they can't explore all the setting options properly

the ioniq with the odd foot operated parking brake takes a few days to get used to then it is simple and automatic every time you get in / out the car

RCO and pilotgrrl like this.
  20. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Having never test driven a Prius, I went from a Camry V6 LE to a Gen 2 Prius. At that time gas was high $3 to mid $4, and my job required a lot of driving.

I bought the Prius from my auto broker in Centennial, Colorado. The car carrier driver showed me the shifter and Park button and told me to drive it around awhile because it needed to be charged. So, I drove it for a few miles until the battery bars filled up.

I was elated! It was everything I wanted and more. The shifter and Park button were a little strange the first few times out, but it was easy to get used to.

Now I find old school ICE cars difficult to get reaccustomed to. They seem clumsy, noisy, clunky, and ancient technology, especially compared to my Gen 4.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

alanclarkeau and RCO like this.