1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Hyundai IONIQ - Prius competitor?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by GasperG, Dec 8, 2015.

1. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that the ones that bough hybrid in the past will more likely be driving BEV in the future.

RCO likes this.
  2. Bluecar1

Bluecar1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was planning a steady path of HEV to PHEV before finally getting to full EV

just depends on when the EV range meets my requirements, I could even skip the PHEV step

San_Carlos_Jeff and RCO like this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    After two years of this thread:
    model 10/15/17 09/15/17 08/15/17 07/15/17
    2 RAV4 5012 5759 5128 4695
    3 Prius Liftback 4532 5722 6043 6034
    5 Camry Hybrid 1897 2090 1284 1290
    7 Prius Prime 1626 1899 1820 1645
    9 Prius C 900 937 853 868
    10 Ioniq Hybrid 870 1101 1093 1209

After two years of this thread, Ioniq sales remain ~1/5th of the Prius Liftback sales and lower than 5 other Prius models. I've trimmed the non-Toyota models since PriusChat is generally a Toyota friendly place.

PriusChat has "Other cars" where testimonials about the Ioniq can fit easily. Now that PriusChat has become recently stable, perhaps a subforum for "Hyundai hybrids" makes sense.

Ioniq sales are not "news" and their ranking since this thread started in December 2015 suggests the market has spoken. Worse, the overt Hyundai press releases and interviews citing the Prius, a model and technology that peaked in September 2013, suggests an unfortunate timing problem similar to "beating the spot where the dead horse was dragged away."

Still some keep trying: Ioniq takes on Prius in hybrid, electric competition | Northwest Herald

During the test week, the Ionic Hybrid did well, but did not reach those figures. It averaged 44.8 mpg during one 353-mile stretch of highway and 47.7 mpg on a 393-mile trip. Driving habits were modest, but the Ioniq was traveling at posted speeds, most of them with a 70 mph limit. The Ioniq fares better at lower speeds, such as in city or suburban traffic.
    . . .
    This engine and electric model was tested recently. It felt, drove and rode like any other compact gasoline-oriented, front-wheel-drive, four-door, five-passenger car. With the six-speed automatic transmission, the feel of a conventional car was more pronounced. Usually hybrid engines are paired with continuously variable transmissions, which have no shift points. Those shift points can be felt in the Ioniq hybrid. If used to and familiar with shift points, this six-speed automatic is preferred.

You might enjoy my comment to this recent article:

Bob Wilson Reclined taking a nap at Retired
    The Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P) includes dynamic cruse control, collision avoidance, and lane keep assist is standard on the Prius. The Ioniq equivalent is limited to the least efficient trim after adding an unrelated option adding ~$6,000 to the price of this standard Prius option.

The longer it remains, the more this thread looks like ads on the margins but without helping PriusChat pay its bills.

What I'm suggesting is this thread has become a spot where the dead horse was dragged away. Let's get back to the "News" goal as after two years, the Ioniq time has passed.

Bob Wilson

#2143 bwilson4web, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You may want to revisit after reading this paper:
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-16684-9

Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder how many ionizes are on u.s. dealers lots.

6. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Whatever it is, you can take it with a grain of salt. :p

bisco likes this.
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think Gerdes got nearly an extra 10 gallons of gas over the official capacity into a F150. You just need to start pulling the jack out at every fill.

I've heard the Rex's tank size is the same no matter the country, and it comes down to coding. I don't doubt that the absolute size could be higher than an official figure. A head space might be needed for extended life of emission controls.

A traditional automatic is technically a stepped automatic. The term refers to having gear changes in general.

Some people hate them. Some people hate CVTs. Some hate automatics of any stripe.

This is a case of choice being good.

And the Niro is selling in the middle of the Toyota pack.

This is the Ioniq's first year, it arrived late, and is still supply constrained. That said I don't expect it to rocket up to Prius levels once more are available, because gas is still cheap, and cars are unpopular. Note that Prius sales have been steadily dropping over the past few years, even with the arrival of the new design, and the Rav4h is now surpassing it in monthly sales.

As for what market has said, they want trucks and SUVs, though perhaps not as big as before, and things with a plug are intriguing.

I will second moving this thread down 'Other Cars'. The only actual new news for the Ioniq is going to be the arrival of the PHEV.

8. southjerseycraig

southjerseycraig Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know a lot of people say they dislike CVT, but it has never bothered me at all. I think my Toyota Camry had a four-speed automatic transmission, and I have driven manual five-speeds, as in my old Volkswagen Beetle. Fortunately, I seem to tolerate steps just fine ; but if I do test-drive an Ioniq, I want a chance to go on the open road to experience the transmission and to see what the braking is like.

Bluecar1 and RCO like this.
  9. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid appearance in the U.S. appears to have been pushed back yet again. At Hyundai Cars, Sedans, SUVs, Compacts, and Luxury | Hyundai from Vehicles from the top menu, scroll down to "Future Vehicles" - before this weekend it was "Coming this fall" but now "Coming this winter". At the moment, opening this link it still says "Coming this fall" within the page 2018 Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid - Coming This Fall | Hyundai USA

My parents are looking to enter the world of plug-ins and are interested in this vehicle, on paper their top choice, but waiting for a test drive that never seems to arrive.

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Good thing the Outlander PHEV isn't on their list. North America arrival for that has been pushed back by years.

I wouldn't worry about the Ioniq PHEV. There was a shake up within the corporation that has thrown some things off. The Ioniq hybrid arrived later than announced, and it might still have supply issues. The Electric isn't nationwide yet, either.

HPrimeAdvanced and RCO like this.
  11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After 108 pages, it looks like this thread is slowing down. I've seen quite a few Ioniqs around here including this one a few doors up the street today. But even with all the Hundai Elantras and Sonatas flooding this area, the Ioniq is still relatively rare. In contrast, you about can't swing a dead cat around your head without hitting a Prius. They seem to be about as popular here as in So. Cal.

IMG_7940.JPG

HPrimeAdvanced, farmecologist and RCO like this.
  12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    18 years gives a model plenty of time to penetrate the population.

HPrimeAdvanced and jerrymildred like this.
  13. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The grill treatment looks a heckofalot better. ;)

HPrimeAdvanced and jerrymildred like this.
  14. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    But vulnerable.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  15. bentbow

bentbow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I take it that the 58 mpg combined was a fantasy and the 2 eco is still the best gas hybrid?

16. Bluecar1

Bluecar1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    the 58mpg is achievable in summer, but like all cars winter and the low temps make it difficult to achieve

RCO likes this.
  17. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jugding by Spritmonitor records, yes, 4Gen Prius consumes less than Ioniq Hybrid.

bentbow and Prius Pete like this.
  18. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I just checked the USA Fuelly but did not find Ioniq in the Hyundai set.

Bob Wilson

20. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe not enough Ioniqs in USA to get a baseline yet.