1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Hyundai IONIQ - Prius competitor?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by GasperG, Dec 8, 2015.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    happens in every thread, don't it?:rolleyes:

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oh the irony ~

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or in this case, iony.:cool:

#43 bisco, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    Data Daedalus and telmo744 like this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Did they release the Mirai's trunk specs?

The Accord PHEV has one cubic foot more trunk space than the Fusion Energi's 8cu.ft., but the Energi has another 50% of the Accord's EV range for that loss of space. Compared to the Prius PHV, the Accord has a roomier, likely more comfortable, cabin, and 2 miles of rated EV range. The Prius has fuel economy, much greater cargo space, lower price, and greater availability.
    Compare Side-by-Side

The Accord PHEV was more of a stop gap compliance car than serious offering from Honda.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    #45 hill, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  6. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I was going by the look which to my eyes doesn't look close to 12.7 cu feet, maybe there is a hidden tray like in the prius and they are counting that too, or maybe rear seats folded down. Who knows. Edmunds made comments that it looks small as did a couple of other reviewers.

Its great if they got 12.7 cu feet. I'll wait until they release the figures instead of relying on stuff on a video. Lots on those videos was preliminary.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's not like this would be a 1st time factoid exaggeration for hydrogen cars

finman and austingreen like this.
  8. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    For a compliance car that sells low volume, yes!;) I think it is the most hyped compliance vehicle ever.:mad:

Again fussion energi had a smaller trunk than the accord phev, but .... much higher sales. Part of it is they did a much better job, but we can look at 2 numbers price and range. Accord went for charge depletion mpg, while ford did a respectable range meaning less gallons per year, even though more gallons after the battery is discharged. If the Accord was a lot less expensive than the fusion energi it would be one thing, but it wasn't. Regular accord outsells the regular fussion but ford kills it in hybrid and phev form. Sonata phev just puts it to shame. 13 miles is just too little when you cost more than the ford. The 46 mpg is excellent in charge sustain mode, but ford's 38 mpg will burn less gas on most people's driving pattern when those 20 miles of electric range are considered. The sonata looks best on paper with 27 mile range and 40 mpg in charge sustain.

Compare Side-by-Side

volt again is the champ here with more cargo room, electric range (53 miles) with pretty good charge sustain of 42 mpg. The problem is people would rather have that 4 door sedan with 5 real seats and a trunk abait a smaller one than the hybrid, than a smaller hatch back with more cargo space but less passenger room

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Another hurdle to Accord PHV sales was that it was only sold in California and New York.

10. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    That isn't a hurdle, that is the definition of compliance car. Only sold in the markets regulators give it credit. I see fusion energis and even i8s and sonata hybrids, with lots of model S, volts, etc. Accord PHV isn't even sold in the top 5 plug in states.

Perhaps they were hoping everyone else would only sell compliance and the plug-in market could go away. you know the - nobody is asking for plug-ins story is spoiled by those non-compliance makes.

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yep - and then there are still states where Tesla can't be sold because the dealer associations want to keep them out unless they're selling format matches the old boy system. It's almost comical that some manufacturers of some models refuse to sell in some states that otherwise would do decent, and other states won't let you sell there . Change can be a constipated process.

12. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
  13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow
    Even electric "only" ? ... but i thought Toyota said no one's knocking on their door asking them to build ev's.
    Does that mean there are droves knocking on their door to build hydrogen cars?

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why do the 'images' not look anything like the real car we've already seen?

15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I want tail light fins.

Bob Wilson

16. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think hyundai really is betting on the phev version, but is using the hybrid to reduce costs, and why not add a bev and cut the cost of the engine and transmission and use that money to put more batteries in it.

The hyundai Tucson fuel cell is not selling up to expectations. It has the land speed record for a hydrogen SUV at 94.6 mpg, but people don't seem to want to put up with the cost and poor fueling infrastructure. The south korean government is here to help. They just anounced fueling subsidides and upped direct to $23,000/fcv so they can get 9000 fcv on the road in south korea in the next 5 years. The ioniq should sell much better.

17. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the spy shots are a test mule, not the real car. If it was real they would have camouflaged it. Still don't know if it will look like either.
    Hyundai Releases More Details On Its 2017 Ioniq

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They look like the actual car to me rather than a fake body.

19. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It could be, but then it would be stupid for hyundai to put out these drawings now. Oh well car companies have done stupider things.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why? You haven't seen the real thing, just the shape of the body with camouflage. That spyshot doesn't show you curves and angles like the teaser pic would.