1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Hyundai IONIQ - Prius competitor?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by GasperG, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Tray? You mean the urinal?

Seriously, I have not personally sat in the Prius, but in theory, one of my objections (I think) is the placement of the "shifter." I use the B-Brake feature frequently (I live in very hilly and mountainous terrain) my right hand fell very naturally and comfortably on the shifter in my 2010 Prius, and in my 2015 TAH. My thought is, the shifter will be a stretch where they have located it .... I concede I could be wrong and a trip to the dealer would resolve the question for me. So, my concern is the placement of the shifter, and not the white tray.

#1281 Felt, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    San_Carlos_Jeff likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'd rather have a urinal than a shifter at my age.:p

RCO, telmo744 and Felt like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    funny thing, my wife and i got in the prime and she said, 'i really like the white'. then she said, 'the shiny plastic will be easy to clean'.:rolleyes:

Bluecar1, RCO and bwilson4web like this.
  4. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did she mean easy for her to clean, or for you to clean. Please clarify!

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it depends. i usually clean it (not very often) and once in awhile she'll surprise me.:)

Bluecar1 and RCO like this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Any gloss plastic will be easier to clean than the textured and soft feel stuff usually used in cars. The gloss stuff has been equated to cheap when used too much though.

RCO and Felt like this.
  7. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Automobile enthusiast, buyers and writers are a hard bunch to please. "hard plastic" is often quoted by writers as being objectionable. Whether white or black, glossy, matte, or faux wood, someone will say it looks cheap. Personally, I like the softer faux leather with stitching in connection with the hard panels that give the appearance of wood...... like in the Toyota Avalon.

Personally, I do not understand the rationale for the hard tray in the Prius. If you put the keys, or loose coins or cellular phone there they will just rattle around and make noise. I would have thought a soft lined tray would have been more desirable ..... like the space beneath the oft criticized "bridge" in the G3. I will not be purchasing the car so it really makes no difference to me, but I'm thinking the pros and cons of the tray are mentioned just as often as the likes and dislikes of the "bridge."

San_Carlos_Jeff, RCO and bisco like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree, i wold probably make some type of mat for it.

it's funny, maybe because we aren't coming at it from a high end car point of view, she liked the white interior accents, shiny plastic, moonstone interior.

RCO likes this.
  9. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lucky you.... :rolleyes:

Bluecar1 and bisco like this.
  10. benlovesgoddess

benlovesgoddess Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In the UK, the tray also has a built in QI wireless charger for the latest (not mine) mobile phones, is that not the same in other markets? I try and keep it empty, i dont like clutter. The missus keeps leaving used tissues in her door pull recess, i'm not impressed!

RCO likes this.
  11. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't think we're married to the same woman, but....

inferno and bisco like this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mine leaves wurthers butterscotch wrappers in the tray under the flying bridge.:rolleyes:

RCO likes this.
  13. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ... only the empty ones, I presume. :confused:

bisco likes this.
  14. Dimitrij

Dimitrij Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been both skeptical and curious about the Ioniq, and I think originally they were supposed to show up in the US in late 2016, but must have been delayed. Is Hyundai the last company to still use a mechanical transmission in hybrids? From what I remember, new Honda Accord already has a type of an eCVT, and so does Ford.

15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Ford had a power split from the beginning. So is the system in the Volt and Malibu. I'm not sure about the two mode system in how it worked.

Honda's dual motor one in the Accord is direct drive, like a BEV. The ICE only clutches in at highway speeds, and there is no varying gear ratios. They also have a parallel system along the lines of Hyundai's in the Jazz.

VW and Nissan also have parallel systems, and I think that applies to everybody else. Improved system controls and cost might make the parallel hybrids more common than power-splits in the future.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    not sure about who else, but the Mitsubishi plug-in Outlander isn't really a true CVT.

17. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In addition, PSA Peugeot Citroën has an entirely through-the-road system, and the engine uses a 6-speed single-clutch automated gearbox.

Volvo, BMW, and Mercedes all have systems where an electric motor is sandwiched between the engine and a conventional automatic. (Although, Volvo's system relies more on a rear electric motor for that mode of operation.) BMW also has some cars that rely on a rear or front electric motor instead of what the ICE is connected to (225xe, i8).

2-mode gearboxes, for what it's worth, are called that because they have two different power split modes - one input split (conceptually similar to Toyota), and one compound split mode. They also all have at least one fixed gear ratio in between the two power split modes, and the transmission used in trucks has four fixed gear ratios. (IIRC, 2nd is the one that lies between the two modes.) The Volt and Malibu are using a 2-mode gearbox, too. And, the CT6 has, IIRC, 3 fixed ratios in its 2-mode gearbox.

Bluecar1 likes this.
  18. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a Hyndia, keep away. You could give me one for free and I would sell it. Junk still just like Kia

iPhone ?

Samprocat likes this.
  19. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Ok...if you say so...o_O

However, our two Hyundai vehicles have been extremely reliable...as in no visits at all to the dealer, etc...

And even though the Prius is 'reliable', I still take issue with the potential 'oil usage' issue they state in the owners manual. Frankly, something is wrong there. Our 2010 does use oil and it has really given me second thoughts about getting another Prius. Not cool, Toyota...

Both Hyundai vehicles have been rock solid mechanically...and oh..neither of them use oil. And neither owners manual states that it could be a future issue. In other words, Hyundai has faith in their engineering.

Bluecar1 likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could be the engine design, are they 50 mpg vehicles?