1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Hyundai IONIQ - Prius competitor?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by GasperG, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    #1521 Jeff N, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    giora, Bluecar1, iplug and 2 others like this.
  2. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you Jeff. I believe you weren't able to get real consumption figures in the HV model, you(we)'ll have to ask for a longer test ;)

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Nice article that addresses a lot of fine detail:
    1. Does the hybrid ICE have a traditional, Bendix-gear style, 12V starter? The reason I ask is 'the 12V can be jumped.' If there is a 12V starter, where is it located?
    2. The photo shows the engine has a small belt that looks to drive an air conditioner compressor clutch like the Gen-1 Prius. Anything else on that belt or another belt?
    3. How is the engine water pump powered?
    4. Did they discuss any other water or coolant pump(s)? The reason is the Gen-1 Prius had a small electric pump to move coolant through the cabin heater. Without a 'heat-pump', the cabin heating coolant needs some way to reach the cabin and in a traditional engine, it has to run even when stopped.
    5. Any details about the power electronics coolant loop?
    6. Do they use vanes to moderate air flow through the radiator and engine compartment?
    One of the major improvements of the Gen-2 over the Gen-1 was adoption of an electric compressor for the air conditioner. The other, small electric motor in the Gen-1 moved engine coolant into the cabin along with ~800W of resistance heating in the Gen-1 and Gen-2. These resistance heaters were nice to have although the engine still ran when stopped.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

#1523 bwilson4web, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    farmecologist likes this.
  4. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    It's difficult to get a reliable feel for mpg etc. on one of these media first drive events. They typically pair you with another driver who gets to spend time driving as well and you are both trying out different features and stomping the accelerator in various ways. This time I didn't even try since we were driving all three Ioniq variants during different times of the day.

telmo744 likes this.
  5. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    The 12V system can be jumped as in using "jumper cables" from another car not as in pushing the car in neutral and then jumping inside and popping the clutch (I successfully did that once on a Toyota Tercel 30 years ago). :)

There is apparently a separate small motor/generator used to start the gas engine. It is not a conventional ICE starter motor and is essentially silent. It's not like the BMW start/stop cars that sound like you are manually starting the engine by turning the key right before driving away at stoplights....

It's apparently beefy enough that it can be used as a limited series-mode generator in unusual situations like very slowly driving uphill where the DCT's first gear would bog down the engine and there is no torque converter to allow slippage. In that situation, they rely on battery power and the regular electric motor first but can fall back on generating power from the ICE starter motor. I didn't have time to get into the weeds on that kind of detail this time.

I don't know.

I don't know.

My assumption is that they have an electric water pump for doing that but I'm not certain.

No.

Yes. I forgot to mention that. You can see them in the frontal photo of the blue car on either side of the Hyundai hood ornament. They are 3 position shutters. I was going mention that in a photo caption....

hill, bwilson4web and farmecologist like this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Is that even available on the Prius? It might appear on larger cars, but is usually a luxury only feature.

Good move for marketing. Getting those features on the Ioniq gets it to a price a few hundred above the Prius Twos. But this still isn't an apples to apples comparison. The Ioniq SEL gets blind spot and rear cross traffic warning without the package needed for the other safety features; you need to upgrade to the Four to get that on a Prius.

Like the Sonata hybrid and certain mild hybrid systems, the Ioniq has a 10kW HSG that replaces the starter and alternator. As for jump starting, it's a hybrid. The jumper car doesn't need to turn the HSG; it just needs to boot up the computer and trip the relays to the traction pack.

The HSG is belt driven.

I think the grill shutters were mentioned on that equipment sheet. Toyota is behind the ball when it comes to these. The previous generation Cruze Eco and diesel, plus other makes and models of that time had them. They could have appeared on the gen3 Prius during the mid-cycle refresh.

The rest is beyond my ken.

Wattup likes this.
  7. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Interesting that the Ioniq battery is warranted for the life of the original owner. Not car limited. So register as co-owners and what happens? Or wife inherits and what happens if the guy own it?

Nice write-up Jeff.

8. Bluecar1

Bluecar1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    my responses in red, but these are for my UK spec Ioniq hybrid

some obviously like the starter generator will be common, some may not be

farmecologist, bwilson4web and Jeff N like this.
  9. Bluecar1

Bluecar1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    my latest run to see what the car is capable of, 81.2 UK mpg (67.6 US mpg) over nearly 250 miles last night, temp was 18 deg C at start, ending at 11 deg C, running at between 55 - 60 mph most of the time, headlights and wipers for the 2nd half of the journey due to light rain

getting close to the EU 83.1mpg (69.2 US mpg) combined figure

bestmpg small.jpg bestmpg2 small.jpg

10. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It turns out the Ioniq Blue, the most efficient, soon to be sold (some day), Ioniq Blue is also competition with the Hyundai Sonata Plug-In:
    • 58 MPG - Ioniq Blue composite
    • 58 MPG - Sonata Plug-In hybrid
      • 32% EV miles, limited to 27 miles
      • 99 MPGe
      • 39 MPG gas
      • 111 miles range in Ioniq Blue profile, EV limited
    Bob Wilson

13. Bluecar1

Bluecar1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have attached my fuel spreadsheet,

you guys can then compare it to what you are getting, remember I do a lot of motorway / highway miles which suits the Ioniq DSG more than a prius CVT

one thing I notice is the accuracy of the trip computer, has anyone got similar data on a gen 3 / 4 prius we could compare?

Attached Files:

14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What we found is the tire size is too small leading to a 1.6-2.0% error in the odometer, speed, and MPG calculation. By choosing a replacement tire whose revolution/mile is more accurate, everything is improved.

Bob Wilson

RCO and Data Daedalus like this.
  15. Bluecar1

Bluecar1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    that's interesting, we are waiting for detailed data on cars with the option 17" wheels

16. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    MY 2010 17", as mine is, always shows 6% less in l/100km.
    I was happy seeing Ioniq very accurate MPG readings. That should be a standard.

RCO likes this.
  17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Any car with an integrated GPS should automatically adjust the calibration of both the speedometer and MPG. This is not a hard problem.

Bob Wilson

RCO and farmecologist like this.
  18. Bluecar1

Bluecar1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    but then you get into the discussion about how integrated or segregated key systems on a car should be for security of the key systems?

the problem is the GPS is part of the nav / entertainment system, the speedo is part of the instrument cluster but generally connected to the same CANBUS as the ECU and ABS systems, do you really want them talking to each other? or do you make it more complex and start adding firewalls between parts of the system to control the data flows?

this issue will only get worse as the tech increases in cars, Hyundai are developing a secure operating system for cars, so it appears they are on the ball, no doubt other manufacturers are doing the same but not announcing it

RCO likes this.
  19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You do realize we are both using computers connected to the Internet to exchange our notes and at least on my side, my hair is not on fire. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

RCO, Data Daedalus and Prodigyplace like this.
  20. Bluecar1

Bluecar1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yep, but there are delightful darlings out on the net that want to do nasty things to our PC's to get all sorts of data for their own use, the same for any system on our cars, so keeping them safe is a priority for many manufacturers