1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Hyundai IONIQ - Prius competitor?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by GasperG, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Bluecar1

Bluecar1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thing is bob, you sum it up in your last sentence "A fine car for someone else", there is no one car that fits everyone's needs, if there was we would all be driving round in black model T's where you could have it "in any colour so long as it's black" according to henry ford

2. Bluecar1

Bluecar1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    bob, your note about tyre noise levels on the blue model has been noted by a number of people

I agree the short test drives dealers give you are enough to provide basic "do I like the seating position / visibility", "does it perform ok" but not "whats it like to live with", "whats its fuel economy like on my normal commute" or "is the boot / trunk big enough for my needs"
    yep some have quoted more road noise (especially on concrete roads) some have said engine noise is lower
    comes down to preference DSG / eCVT at the end of the day so long as it get people out of gas guzzlers I don't care if they choose either car
    yep one area they could do with improving, they level of braking unlike a non hybrid is not linear in relation to peddle travel, but once you get used to it it's ok
    short test runs are difficult to test mpg, especially a hybrid because it depends on the state of charge in the traction battery, the thinking on the Ioniq seems to be use the warm up of the engine to get max charge in the battery as quick as possible so as to put the engine under a bit of load to warm it up quicker, that said it is the quickest warmup of any car I have owned
    • this is where the Toyota and Hyundai engineers seem to disagree on the best use of the battery, it may also be due to the differences in the eCVT and DSG transmissions, I tend to find I get better mpg if I utilise EV mode on flat or slight downhill and use the uphills when the ICE is always running to help charge the battery
    very much agree it is a version 1.0 car, give it a few years and it will be interesting to see how the Prius and Ioniq then compare

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    perhaps some of the newb's didn't realize there are more than one rev when it comes to prius
    ;)
    What services you need and what you don't | PriusChat

we're here to help - anytime there's a need for info.

4. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Keep it simple. No known recalls on 16 d nails. Very few moving parts. NO RECALLS! 'because, simple ...

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Could be easier to pump it out of the fill hole.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could be, but it's not necessary, from what i understand.

8. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yet the nail companies still have QA with minimum standards on the metal and coatings of the nail that can get a lot scrapped.

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    yeah I should have clarified. The pump is to fill. I blame my lack of clarity on the margarita.
    40 ouncer yum

bisco and Tracksyde like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you and paul mccartney. good taste!(y)

11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Autoline after hours:

A bigger fan of TSS-P, there are many nice comments in this video of which some I agree, some not so sure.
    • "selling as a car" - this makes a lot of sense and punctures the "Prius is a statement" nonsense. Sad to say, the split, rear window punctures that Hyundai complain.
    • options - we know efficient cars use functioning spoilers and weight saving alloy wheels considered 'bling' by ordinary car owners, but I'm personally not impressed because TSS-P is in the Toyotas as a standard and an extra cost option in the Hyundai
    The YouTube is worth watching but having test driven the Ioniq Blue, I'm immune.

Bob Wilson

Ursamajor and Data Daedalus like this.
  12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The split rear window goes back to the Aztek and CR-X.

TSS-P equivalent is extra on the Ioniq, but with it, ends up the same price as the base Prius and has other features that requires upgrading to a Four to get on a Prius.

13. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm only interested in wrecking Ioniq for now...
    Want the BMS and battery cells...
    Hopefully soon i will have hands on hybrid battery pack

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bisco likes this.
  14. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I took away two Ioniq negatives for me. Rear seat headroom and real world MPG.

farmecologist likes this.
  15. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Not sure the TSS-P upgrade on the Hyundai nets out the same price. Prius probably still is less.

Toyota continues to offer $1500 off MSRP nationwide on the Prius liftback. Also, it matters how much Hyundai or Toyota dealers are negotiating price down independent of manufacturers incentives.

For example, Truecar says a Prius 2 in my area market averages $22,216. Truecar says the base Ionic (without TSS-P) market average is $22,781. I didn't plug in other permutations, but that's the idea and reflects the "real" prices paid.

16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Ioniq SEL w/ tech package MSRP is $24,950. The Prius Two is $24,685.

Sales and incentives will change the out the door price, but they also change over time, and even location. I don't expect much to be available on the Ioniq with it being a brand new model that has just arrived. There is a 0% financing deal. Also on the Prius, but you have to forgo the $1500 off for it. Then the Ioniq lease is $1000 less at signing and $60 lower a month than one for a Prius for 3 years.

But my main point is that a feature being standard on one car really isn't an advantage when the cost to get it on another car results the sticker price being with $500 of each other. Yes, sales and incentives are a consideration, but only for someone actually buying at this particular point it time. For those planning on buying at some future date, or just naval gazing here, it shouldn't be a consideration, because the incentives can easily be different when they actually go to buy.

San_Carlos_Jeff likes this.
  17. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I looked at a Hyundai add on the Internet, then checked 'get a quote.' A local dealer submitted a quote of $21,750 .... $3,000 discount. I am sure that I had stipulated that I was interested in the SEL with Tech Package. I thought, WOW ... $21,750 is quote a deal, but just now, I took a closer look and it does not mention the SEL or the Tech package, I suppose it was a 'Blue." Sorry. Not interested!

I'm still not quite ready to make a decision ... but my wife surprised me several days ago nwhen she mentioned that she thought we should consider the Tesla 3. My brother has a Tesla S ... and he absolutely loves it. I am now thinking that my wife was more impressed with the Tesla than she first indicated.

Time will tell. We shall see.

Data Daedalus and bisco like this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    remarry that woman!:p

Bluecar1, Data Daedalus and davidtm like this.
  19. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    "The world didn't need another hybrid, it needed a better hybrid", according to the new commercial. :D

20. davidtm

davidtm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Reminds me of the time we brought our new 48" flat screen TV home, and my wife, after a few days, said, "Maybe we should have bought the bigger one". Thanks to Best Buy's return policy, we did! :D

john1701a, bisco and Data Daedalus like this.