1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Hyundai Is the One to Watch in the Race for EVs. Here’s Why

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    https://www.thedrive.com/tech/42959/hyundai-is-the-one-to-watch-in-the-race-for-evs-heres-why

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I appreciate the 'review' and noted:

. . .
    Several things struck EV analysts during Hyundai’s technical presentations on the E-GMP platform. In particular, four factors make it stand out: (1) It uses rear-wheel drive for the single-motor versions; (2) the battery pack can charge at 800 volts; (3) it’s capable of home recharging at a higher rate than today’s EVs; and (4) owners can use the battery as a power source for electric appliances, which Hyundai calls “Vehicle To Load” or V2L capability.
    . . .

I got #1, March 26, 2019 ... where was Hyundai?

As for #2, I tend to be more interested in kW charging rate for the Tesla triangular charging curve. Every two hours, we take a 20 minute combination biology and charging break to reach the next TESLA charger. Where are the Hyundai chargers? Do they always work as reliably as the the Tesla SuperChargers? Where were the Hyundai chargers in March 2019?

On #3, good thing no one looked at the larger capacity, built-in Tesla AC chargers in March 2019 that included some with even higher than promised +2 years later by Hyundai.

As for #4, vehicle to 120/240 VAC power, it is also claimed for the Tesla Cyber Truck ...when it arrives with the Hyundai.

The failure to cite similar, previously, Tesla delivered and/or promised features does not tempt this 56,149 mi, +2.5 year old Model 3 owner. I understand that when a vendor invites reporters to an event, replication of their press release is expected (or no future reporter invites.)

Just I know too much about Tesla models built, delivered, and promised EVs to be impressed. No shade on sharing just sometimes these warmed over press releases belong in a vendor specific subform but I've cross the somewhat fuzzy line too.

Bob Wilson

ps. I won't be taking up the offer "Got a tip? Send us a note: [email protected]" as it would not contribute to anyone's understanding beyond those who might have gained insights from this review.

#2 bwilson4web, Nov 3, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    "Yes, Hyundai. As it stands now in 2021, with striking designs, interesting battery tech, and a robust product pipeline, the Korean automaker could emerge among the companies that transition fastest to EVs."

The article was making a case for Hyundai among the traditional car companies to be one of the winners in the EV world. Tesla was only mentioned in the first and last paragraph. In the latter, it was called a leader. Pointing out where Hyundai is making the same decisions as Tesla could help with the argument that Hyundai will be one of the leaders, but then there is things about Tesla that don't apply.

The big is that Tesla isn't a traditional car company that has to do deal with what to do with an ICE car division. They aren't a full model line up car company. Maybe they will be in time. What matters here is that they don't have the design resources of a big car company. Which is part of why we had to wait years between models coming out. Like the factories, it takes time to build the design resource. Once they have a battery and parts supply secured, the older car companies have the means to expand an EV line up quicker.

In ten years time, car buyers won't care who had what chargers in 2019. By that time in Europe, Superchargers will just be another option for all plug in cars. Perhaps they'll also CCS plugs in North America by then.

Tideland Prius likes this.