1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Hyundai Starts Customer Deliveries Of Ioniq 5 In The US

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Dec 17, 2021.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    https://insideevs.com/news/555056/hyundai-starts-deliveries-ioniq5-us

US press release: https://www.hyundainews.com/en-us/releases/3468

bwilson4web likes this.
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Ouch -

Screenshot_20211217-073336.jpg

Over $54K to get the top of the line. That guy down in Irvine California that got the first one? You would have to pay over $8,000 in sales tax, wiping out the tax credit incentive money. Who would have ever thought that a Hyundai would be this much dough, or put another way - that the U.S. dollar would become so worthless - from the Fed's over printing. I guess this means Hyundai won't be offering a version with roll up crank windows.
    These Hyundai ads certainly do put a lot of emphasis on pricing when bundled with Federal incentive tax credits. But many people don't qualify for credits for one reason or another. Without the incentive money? This becomes a $60,000 Hyundai. That could buy a lot of recharging, or gasoline, just by keeping the ol' clunker(s).

#2 hill, Dec 17, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Tesla can not make enough model Ys. This ticks a lot of the boxes that car does. You need to pay sales tax on teslas and vws and even toyota's too. If you want one this year, the hyundai may be the best route. It is not cheap. It depends on dealer mark ups. If they are as much as the rav4 prime, well then people may wait, but I think mark ups will decrease as production increases.

Inexpensive will not come until supply chains are fixed and battery capacity is up. I am thinking that is around 2025 for BEVs. Toyota because of the chip shortage sold fewer cars but was able to have its highest profit. I don't think this will be a high profit car for hyundai until they get production going well. Until then it helps pay for the R&D.

#3 austingreen, Dec 17, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    Zythryn, bisco and Trollbait like this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The ID.4 starts at $39,995 and goes to $44,495(MSRPs set before the pandemic). It does not have a larger battery or AWD option. From the UK pricing, the bZ4x is going to have similar prices. The Model Y starts at nearly $60,000.

Corporations are taking advantage of the supply chain issues to increase profits. Combined with the current supply of batteries and BEV demand, manufacturers aren't going to chase profits in the lower priced segments. Hyundai still has the 2022 Kona Electric on their website for $34,000 though.

And want car can you get today with hand crank windows? The removable doors of Jeeps are now powered.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And it comes with a lot of features fully loaded. No one said you couldn’t “settle” for a SEL AWD for less than $50k or even RWD which is cheaper than a TMY SR RWD if it were priced today.

You’re using the same fallacy as Volt owners that compared a loaded PiPA to a base Volt even though the PiP has more features at that same price (or cost less than a Volt with the same features but of course much shorter AER as a reflection of the price).

On the other hand, the Ioniq 5 is feature rich and has a price range that suits a larger range of budgets. Most people that are looking at this price range would qualify for the rebate anyway, no?

Trollbait and austingreen like this.
  6. Prim.e.xample

Prim.e.xample Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Jeep Wrangler and Gladiator Sport models still have hand cranks.

7. ems2158

ems2158 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The nearby Hyundai dealer has 4 Ioniq 5s being delivered in the beginning of January.
    I can have the honor of owning one for $5,000 over MSRP. Two are already sold.
    I think I'll pass.

hill and vvillovv like this.
  8. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I had a similar experience when Ionic was first offered in the US in 2017. The local dealers didn't have any and weren't expecting any for at least 6 months into feb 2018.

Another thing I like to use as a gauge is how many 10 year old models from a manufacturer are still seen on the road. It's not real scientific [like], just a looksee kinda thing.

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Great - now the most expensive version may top $65,000. Might as well keep plugging along in our plugin.