1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hyundai's hybrid hybrid Sonata coming Oct-Nov 2010. Dedicated Hyundai hybrid model anounced for2011.

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Jul 2, 2010.

1. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Re: Hyundai's hybrid hybrid Sonata coming Oct-Nov 2010. Dedicated Hyundai hybrid model anounced for2

So long as this attitude prevails, no one can hybridize anything but the tiniest cars.

2. vday

vday Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Hyundai's hybrid hybrid Sonata coming Oct-Nov 2010. Dedicated Hyundai hybrid model anounced for2

Please explain the Math.
    I come up with different results.
    Lets say I drive 100 miles
    Getting 50 = 2.0 gallons
    Getting 40 = 2.5 gallons
    Diff 0.5 Gallons

Getting 20 = 5.0 gallons
    Getting 18 = 5.55 gallons
    Diff 0.55 Gallons
    Slightly higher!

Oh reading again maybe thats what you meant.:)

3. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

The math used is from about the 6th grade. The conclusion is valid. Whether or not you see it as significant is up to you.

I'm a bit confused how, in a thread where you made a big deal over the MPG difference of two cars, you now suddenly say it is silly to focus on the difference in fuel use.

4. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

We agree. The difference in fuel use between 50 and 40MPG is slightly less than the difference between 20 and 18MPG.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I wouldn't solely rely on the highway numbers just to judge the aerodynamic qualities of a car. Remember that engine and transmission tuning play a part too. If Toyota was to drop a CVT into their Corolla, I'm sure it can hit 40mpg on the highway under EPA testing. (It's rated at 42mpg here and that's fairly attainable at 80-90km/h but not at your higher speed limits of 100-115km/h)

Possibly. But also remember that the majority of buyers looking at these vehicles are looking for a low cost vehicle (either b/c it's their first car out of college or it's because they're moving down to a more fuel efficient and smaller car due to space constraints or they just don't need a large vehicle or it could be a 2nd or 3rd vehicle in the household for commuting and they don't want to spend a lot on a vehicle that will see the daily grind with its parking lot bumps and scrapes).

There's also the flipside of those that can't afford (or won't spend the money on) a Prius and yes there's definitely a market there for a sub-$20k HSD vehicle. Perhaps that's what Toyota's trying with the Prius C? It's a smaller Prius supposedly so maybe it'll be cheaper too.

I'm sure the Corolla and Matrix will be hybridized soon (We know the Yaris is for Europe). I'm sure they've tested it and brought up the idea before and will probably offer it as soon as the market is ready for one.