1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I’m jealous of my girlfriend’s 2012 Honda Civic Hybrid

Discussion in 'Honda/Acura Hybrids and EVs' started by ajbdiaz, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It has a 1.5 litre engine (up from 1.3) and has Li-Ion instead of NiMh battery. The rear seats still don't fold but the Li-Ion battery is a much smaller package. I think mileage is between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 now.

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The real problem however is IMA's reliance on deep discharge cycles. Now that it is lithium, this is going to be an even bigger problem unless they severely de-rated the actual usable capacity like toyota did.

Anyone know what lithium chemistry they are using? Li-Ion, Li-Polymer, LiFePO4. Li-Mg?

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Li-Ion IIRC. Hyundai uses lithium polymer

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i just mean the overall car itself. if my wife wanted one, i wouldn't be jealous. it seems like just another econobox. no better or worse than the prius. maybe you have to be a honda fanboy? my daughter had an accord. nice car, nothing special imo.

5. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Beauty is only skin deep...
    The bone ugly one gets 25% better mileage, works for me;)

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, IMA never depended on deep discharge, it just allowed it.
    IMA really depends on the high torque motor. Honda changed the software to avoid that problem after the last batch of batteries failures and while there was a drop in mileage it wasn't huge on batteries that hadn't already been damaged.

Honda's fundamental problem with the batteries, however, was really the battery design, and switching to Li should resolve that.

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't know about the Civic, but the majority of Insight battery failures were on cars equipped with the manual. The software allowed deeper discharges, but drivers where also shifting early and over using the motor assist. On an older generation of cars, they might have done major damage to the engine with their shifting technique.

8. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    See, if I had bought a Honda hybrid, I WOULD worry about what people thought of me. Since they are poor performers, I would think other people thought I didn't know a good car from a bad one.

Honda has bankrupted its engineering creds over the last decade with worse and worse products (not that their chronic trans failures didn't drive away the faithful). On top of that, they must have fired their design staff in the late 1990's since they haven't made an effort since then on exterior styling (Really, the Ridgeline?! Really!?). IMHO.

Their only real strategy it seems is to NEVER give anyone a deal on a new car, so they keep the resale value up - artificially in my opinion. :blah:

9. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Fair enough. However, why was the Honda dealer patch to detune the system so the batteries failed outside of warranty?

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If anyone has listened to the last WhatDrivesUs podcast, there was a lot of discussion on the older Gen HCHs and their battery problems. Most of the problems seemed to stem from an imbalance in battery charging. Mike from 99mpg.com has designed products that can help save the battery due to this imbalance by allowing you to plug in and charge the battery so it will reach a full charge and even maintain a full charge in the event you need to leave the vehicle inoperative for long periods of time. Thankfully Toyota employs a balancing system so the Prius did not suffer from the premature failures and recalibration (which tends to drop mpg).

For more infor check out: Is it too late? I think not if we act now - MIMA Honda Insight Modified Integrated Motor Assist

For the podcast interview: Episode 66 - Special Guest Inventor and EV Pioneer, Mike Dabrowski | What Drives Us

11. oldasdust

oldasdust Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have purchased 3 new hondas and never paid msrp.

12. pfbloom

pfbloom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've driven my 2003 Honda Civic 183,000 miles and it has been a great car. My sister has a 2007 Prius II and I've driven that off and on too.

No problems with the Civic, which has consistently averaged about 44 MPG, and 50 MPG in the summer, and near 60 MPG if you really, really work it. The car is really fun to drive. The 2012 Civics look good too, but I noticed that CU just downgraded the 2012 Civic recommendation, based largely on finish and features.

That said, the Prius has a superior hybrid technology and my sister loves her car. Mileage in the 60's early on, but down to 45 MPG now for reasons the dealer cannot figure out. Good reliability and a typical solid Toyota feel.

Main difference that I've seen, however, is in road manners, as the Honda is better in this regard with a tight controlled ride. The Prius always feels choppy and a little squirrly by comparison.

With different pluses and minuses, they are both great cars.

13. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have your sister check her 12v battery voltage. Don't leave it up to the dealer. They often say the battery is fine as long as it is over 12.0 v. If the battery losses too much capacity then your may experience lower mpg. This is assuming her daily driving routine has not changed since achieving her original 60mpg average.

14. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  15. Kevin123

Kevin123 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    2012 Honda civic Hybrid is a stylish car

16. gramps

gramps Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There was a new episode of Motorweek on cable last night featuring the 2012 Honda Civic Hybrid.
    I recorded it but only scanned through it tonight.
    44 mpg combined and $24,000 all I got from it.
    They will be probably be showing reruns.

17. shawnsprius

shawnsprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I keep hearing people comparing the CT to the Prius or the Honda or the this or that..
    the fact remains, THE PRIUS is the king of the MPG.
    I looked at the CT200 and was put off by the VERY VERY cheesy plastic seats. the material is one of the worst feeling material for a seat I have seen. It is paper thin, looks cheap and is cheap. This was in a LOADED CT with NAV, roof, premium sound, etc.. the sticker was 35, 600 ish , If i wanted leather like in my Prius IV, I would have shelled out another 2-3K
    I got my leather, Solar/NAV IV for just under 30, The mileage is off the charts.. averaging 50 plus on my first few tanks
    THis is why we buy the Prius, it's OUTSTANDING mileage, it's proven track record with longevity, and the overall cost.
    There will always be others.. but what we really really want is a cost effective and ecologically sound investment.