1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I’m thinking of leaving my wife….

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JSH, Jul 1, 2008.

1. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not for good, just every week.

Here’s the situation: We moved to the Birmingham, Al area about a year ago when she took a job here. We are both engineers, she is a biomedical engineer and I’m a mechanical engineer. I looked for a job for about 6 months before taking a contract job 85 miles away. I worked that job for 4 months before finding my current job 65 miles away. With a 3 hour commute that puts my typical work day at 14 hours door to door.

What I have found in 10 months of job hunting is that Birmingham doesn’t have much industry left. Most of the jobs engineering jobs in the Birmingham area are in power generation, pipelines, and mining while my background is in manufacturing and project management. Alabama has a lot of manufacturing but it is not in the major cities but instead scattered along the major highways where rural communities traded free land and no taxes for manufacturing plants. All the jobs I’ve seen have been 50 to 90 miles away.

So back to the present: I like my current job but I don’t like spending 15 hours and $150 a week to commute to work. I’m thinking of renting a place close to work and going home on the weekends. My schedule only overlaps with my wife’s for about 2 hours a day during the week so I would loose about 8 hours of “family†time but gain 10 hours of “personal†time that I now spend commuting. I would have about 4 hours a day of free time Mon-Thur. Another positive is that I would be at the most 3 miles from work so I could ride my bicycle to work and the YMCA.

I know lots of people do this but don’t know any personally. To those that have, how has it worked for you?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you move to some 'mid-way' point b/w your two places of work?

3. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    worked good for me when i went to school in orlando. had a small apt there, drove home on friday afternoon, back on sunday night. had real quality time at home with the kids on weekends and saved lots of fuel and expenses.

4. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think that it is okay on a short term basis (no more than a year maybe?), and after that you'd probably want to find a city that is good for both of you and search for jobs that way.

Also, it depends on how your wife feels! If you both go into this with a positive attitude, then it has a chance of working out well. Make sure the weekends when you do see each other are special, though!

5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Back when I was in California, I lived in the East Bay and worked in the South Bay, which was an hour and a half going there and and hour back (yay flex time). It wasn't fun but it worked (yay high MPG vehicles).

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Evan, i see the "family man" talking here...but the "green" in you needs to step up!!

that will still be $150 in gas (assuming two Priuses...more if wife drives something else) so more home time, but now more than an hour one way commute for two people instead of one.

i did the commute thing for around 6 months. was living in Olympia and working outside Portland OR...with traffic, it was close to three hours in the morning, 2½ hours at night. there was around 60 of us doing it, on a 24/6 day week basis with sunday off. 6 of us rented an apartment, 3 on days 3 on nights, there was never all 6 at home since we relieved each other, so it was a cheap solution that worked well, only thing was, we were working 12 hours 3 days a week. so much more home time... only bummer was Wednesday or thurdays (i worked either wed-friday or thurs-sat on alternating weeks) because i would drive in that morning so had to leave Olympia at 4 AM...long day

jh: so i think your solution is a good one although with obvious drawbacks. only other thing i would consider if available and it sounds likes its not. but looking at mass transit. so you dont have to drive, see if you can get any extra work done while riding... but rare to have anything going early enough to get there...chalk that up to cheap gas...

7. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have some good friends who's parents currently do this. The wife/mother is a professor at a university and the husband/father is retired. I've often wondered why they both don't move to where the wife is, but they have a family home and small farm that they both think of as "home" where the husband/father lives. It works very well for them, but I think it really depends on individual circumstances and personalities. A huge factor for them is that their kids are grown; I'm not sure they would do it if that weren't the case. Another big thing is that, since she's a professor, she can arrange often her class schedule such that she only needs to physically be at the university on Mon-Wed.

In the end, I think it comes down to the individual personalities of the people doing this. Personally, I would be OK with it, but I know that my better half would not be pleased so, therefore, I know we would never do this.

8. GreenSteve

GreenSteve Web Hosting Provider

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One way you might test this idea without having to sign a lease for an apartment would be to look in the area of your current job for a long stay hotel on the order of a Residence Inn. You might be able to get a fairly reasonable monthly rate, and it would let the two of you test this new model.

With such a major lifestyle change it might be difficult to anticipate how you will both react.

Good luck!

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i guess the real thing you need to look at is how willing, if at all, is the wife to looking for another job in another city where more opportunities are available to both involved...

now you say you moved there, it sounds like you dont have deep ties to the area like family, etc.

but then again, if this is the wife's once in a lifetime dream job... well, that makes it tough. that is what im guessing. from your post, having her relocate her job does nt seem to be an option

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Talk to your wife. And kids if you have them. Make it a family decision.

My Dad did this for several years. He's an electrical engineer and after the market slumped he got a job in....the next state. He communted from San Diego, CA to Ft. Huachuca, AZ.

He worked out a schedule with his boss to work 4 days a week, 10 hour days. So still 40 hr work week. He commuted home on weekends and sometimes every other week.

He eventually got a job in L.A. Much shorter commute but still a killer during rush. So again....4 days week. He shared an apt. with a guy he worked with three nights a week. He'd drive home Thursday night and then drive back up early Monday morning.

He did this for several years also.

11. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    To answer some questions:

No, we can’t relocate to a half-way point. We are currently 7 miles from my wife’s job. That commute takes 20 minutes in the summer but jumps to 45 minutes once school starts. I am heading away from Birmingham and against traffic so this greatly helps my commute. If we relocated every minute I saved would add 2-3 minutes to her commute. Relocation wouldn’t save money or help the environmental issues I have with my commute. We also would not gain much time together as the miles would still need to be driven. We like our current house and location.

No public transportation, I’m heading into very rural Alabama. Selma, AL to be exact.

My wife actually brought up the idea of me getting a place in Selma. Normally I might be concerned about my wife suggesting that I move out, but we have a great relationship. Some background: Married for 8 years/ engaged for additional 3/ dated for 2 additional years. So we have been a couple for 13 years now. I’ve know her since 5th grade. We have also been apart before. My last permanent job involved international travel for about 60 days a year in 2 to 3 week blocks. I did that for 4 years before we moved to Alabama. We also spent 3 years at different universities while engaged.

We don’t have kids.

This is my wife’s first “real” job after college. She worked at some vet clinics the first 3 years we were married and we relocated twice for my job. She decided to go back to school and get a BS and MS in Biomedical Engineering. I supported her in this and told her that when she graduated that we would move for her job. I’m not going to go back on that promise. She LOVES her job and it is a great opportunity for her career. She was hired just after a private equity firm acquired her company as a small start-up. In the last 16 months it has gone from ~75 employees to just over 1,000 and is growing in sales at a rate of about 35% per year. Her company is now the largest independent dental implant company in the world. She also has stock options that could become very valuable when the company goes public and is placed well for advancement.

I also like my new job. I’m working as a product manager overseeing a line of utility vehicles. It allows me to work in a field that is a personal interest of mine as well as grow my career path significantly. The issue is that these two great jobs are 90 minutes apart. My company is very conservative with HR issues. No flex time, no 10 hour days, no telecommuting, etc. If you work for them you work on location and start no later that 7:30 and leave no earlier than 5:00.

We are planning for this to be a 3-5 year arrangement. I just looked a very nice 1 bedroom apartment downtown. It is located about 1.5 miles from work and 1.5 miles from the YMCA. It is about 500 square feet and rents for $380/month.

12. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I like your thread title jh, it's certainly going to get people's attention! ;)

When I lived in NYC, SWMBO worked in Rhode Island during summers and she stayed there during the week. It worked well for us then. We both had more time to focus on some of our own projects, and we really appreciated seeing each other on weekends.

We have a 1 year-old girl now, and I would hate to do the same thing. I think it's really critical for both of us to be there with her whenever possible. Neither of us has a commute like that to face anymore, but that's largely by choice. SWMBO still works out of state for part of the year, but it's ~50 miles instead of ~200, and it's a total of maybe 60 days/year.

So, I think it partly depends on if you have "family" plans, what your respective ages are, and all sorts of other personal things that only the two of you know. I certainly second the suggestion that you try it out, either in a hotel, or stay with a friend or coworker in that area for a short while.

p.s. I just read your last post... it sounds like you're only listing "pros" not "cons", and the last little kicker you add is that the rent would be less than the cost of gas to drive. It sounds like you've sort of made the decision and just want a nudge. ;) I say give it a shot. The worst that can happen is that you change your mind!

p.p.s. When the weather is good, do that twice-weekly ride on your bike. You'll get yourself into GREAT shape and you'll love the personal time with the wind in your face!

13. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That was the point. :D

That is the purpose of this thread, to try to gain from the experience of others and find out some of those cons we haven't thought of. We know what is is like to be apart for 2-3 weeks at a time but not a steady 2.5 days together / 4.5 days apart.

We really are not thinking of this to save money, it is a quality of life decision. For example, I used to read at least one non-fiction book a month at a minimum plus 5 magazines. I have only read one book in the last 10 months and have a stack of unread magazines. I used to run marathons and half marathons but haven't ran at all lately and have put on 13 pounds since last September.

14. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Then do it, and definitely ride a bike on the long commute. :D

We didn't do the weekdays-apart thing for more than just summer months for 2 years, so we didn't strain our relationship to the breaking point... then again, we've been together 14 years (married 4), and have had much more stressful things happen to test our relationship. So in my case, no there were no real drawbacks to the arrangement, and we both appreciated the time apart. As a side benefit, our weekend reunions got a little steamy, so that was something to look forward to. :kiss:

15. Shimpy

Shimpy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Do either of you have any flexibility in your schedule? Can you go from 5, 8 hour days to 4, 10 hour days? Less commute time that way. Some companies in my area are switching to a 4 day work week because of the high gas prices.

16. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No flexibility at all:

Mine: 5 days a week, 7:30 to 5:00 minimum. Not 7:31 or 4:59

Hers: 5 days a week, 8:00 to 5:00 with a little flex allowed (+/- 10 minutes)

17. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    wow $380 a month?? i cant even rent a garage for that much...bottom of the line rent way beyond the outskirts of town would be around $550...(i did a search in 3 local listings...to be honest with ya, i didnt know there would be anything as low as that...in town, one bedrooms are around $725)

considering the price of gas, i would do it. get a cellphone with unlimited mins between phones on account (dont think there is one that does not offer that any more) call each other...talk for an hour every night to catch up. we used to do it. watch the same thing on tv and comment on it... almost like being there.

to be honest with ya. on my commuting experience. before the 6 month out of town thing, i worked the same 12 hour shift for 2 years and i only had about 2 hours at the most with family on days i worked anyway. even with a new baby (not the last one, the first one... he 12 now) there was just too little time left when after combining commuting time and 8 hours of sleep (IF i got that much) there is only 3 hours left anyway.

in that 3 hours, i had to get up in the morning, shower, go to work. leave house at 6:30 AM...then get home at 7:30 PM, eat dinner, take shower (most of the time, especially in summer) then boom, its an hour to bedtime...

keep an eye out for something local... give it time. something will probably come up. right now is not the best job market

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It sounds like what you'd save in gas more than covers the apt. plus some left over.

Have a long talk with your wife. The quality of your time together on the weekends may more than make up for those 8 hours you'd lose during the week.

19. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The last two put more clearly into writing something I felt but probably didn't describe: The commute and the details of daily life can take up all your free time and actually create a stressful time at home during a crazy commute week... then weekends get blown just trying to defuse the tension that your crazy work and commute hours create.

So staying near work during the week could actually make it easier. You both get time to yourselves, and you don't feel pressure to rush home right when the whistle blows and speed all the way just to get an extra 5 miserable minutes before you lose consciousness and repeat the cycle the next day.

Sorry, I'm doing a lousy job of listing possible negatives to this plan. ;)

20. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    DH is moving away next month to finish up his education so we're facing something similar.

he is going to a school that's approximately 3.5 hours away from where we currently live, which is the nearest school that offers his major. he has been doing his prerequisites and gen ed stuff here and transferring credits each semester to prolong our time together. moving to a halfway point isn't an option, as i'm approaching the end of my own education. (i say that with fingers crossed and breath held, but that's another story.) i am being sucked into the vortex of perpetual productivity (phdcomics reference, anyone?) and don't have much time for driving.

he can't spend 7 hours/day on the road. that's ridiculous. so he's moving in with family that's 1.5 hours away on the other side and enjoying his time with them (they're octogenarian grandparents) and earning his keep by helping take care of the family home. he will only be home on weekends to see me. we have done distance once before for about 5 months, and this is expected to be a 6-7 month thing. it took us a while to settle into the idea, but it came down to the question of what is reasonable.

if you're both willing to make it work, you can do it. just do what is best for both of you, and make sure you're on the same page. best of luck with your decision, j :)