1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I’m thinking of leaving my wife….

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JSH, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Galaxee. Best wishes for you and the hubby. You can see the light at the end of the tunnel. And you'll both be euphoric attending each other's commencments. (Get the gear, do the walk, you earned it. I'm still basking in the glow of my second masters. Attended twice; convocation AND ceremony.)

When you're both done, things will so be open for you both. The world will be your oyster.

jhinton. This can be done short term. No more than a few years at most. But it's not a permanent solution. So if you decide to do this, you should then start to think of your next plan for AFTER the current situation.

2. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Actually, you are a lot better off than described. If there is any reason you need to get together at an oddball time, it would be very easy to do that. It's being available when the car breaks down or the tree fell through the roof that can be the difference between too far and close enough. That little factor can make a big difference.

3. HolyPotato

HolyPotato Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The wife and I have a vaguely similar situation. I'm doing my PhD in London, her office is located in Toronto (2 hours away). They let her work from home most of the time, but about 1 week a month she has to be in, for which she stays with her parents. In the summer they really ramp up so for 2 months a year she rents a place in Toronto and goes in every day. It... doesn't work so well. It's really stressful to be back and forth all the time and not really know what home is. The summer months she doesn't "bring home" any money after the cost of renting a second place and eating out quite often (since I generally do the cooking). We've got 2 years* of this left, and I think even that will be pushing it. After that, the plan is that we both move to Toronto, or I find a job in London that pays enough for her to quit (or at least enough for her to quit her high-paying dream job and take any old job). If it's important to make it work, you guys can make it work.

* - grad school time. No relation to actual time.

For the out-of-the-box suggestions: Can you get another job doing consulting or telecommuting work from home? Do you need a job at all -- can you both live on just her salary? How different is power plant engineering? Can you learn that on the job?

4. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just curious but why would you want your wife to quit her high-paying dream job. My focus here is not on the money but on the description of this job as her dream-job.

Consulting, probably not but there is a lot of contract work out there. My contract position with Delphi wasn't bad since I don't need any of the benefits, but it was very boring. It was nice to get paid for every hour worked!

Telecommuting is hard with manufacturing. In general, you need to be on site with the product.

No, I don't need a job, my wife is making what I made at my last job so we could do fine on just her income. We did that for the 4 months I was unemployed. What would I do though? That 4 months was VERY boring and I spent WAY too much time here on PriusChat.

Power plant engineering is very different from manufacturing but I am confident that I could do it with some time to learn. I wouldn't want to do it though after touring a coal-fired power plant. The problem is that very few companies are willing to take a chance on someone. Even fewer head-hunters will even pass along a resume if it doesn't match the job exactly. Companies are willing to teach new grad, but not someone with 10 years of experience. In general, engineers tend to get locked into specific industries or types of work.

Godiva:

The long-term plan is to save very aggressively and pay off all of our debt. We are currently living on less than my wife's salary and are investing 1/3 of our combined income in 401K's and IRA's. Another 10% is going to extra debt payments. We should be completely debt free within 5 years and have sizable retirement savings. What will we do in 3-5 years? I don't know but we should be in good shape regardless of our decision. We have been talking about doing a stint in the Peace Corps. We are both 30 so we still have a lot of time to decide what we want to do when we grow up. :D

5. HolyPotato

HolyPotato Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

It's her dream job because it has so much flexibility: for most of it, she can work whatever hours she wants from "home", wherever home is that week. She even as a pair of "Work PJs". If/when we move back to Toronto, it will really be her dream job, because those semi-regular trips into the office won't be so painful. However, the constant back-and-forth is exhausting, and it's really cramping the flexible style that is one of the job's main features. It's also causing some issues when she stays with her parents for a week at a time. We can keep this up for another 2-3 years while I finish off my PhD, but after that we've got to settle down somewhere, together in the same place. The ideal situation would be that I find a job in Toronto and she keeps her dream job (which is especially dreamy when one considers the benefits to child-rearing that working from home offers), but if I find my dream job somewhere else and if it pays substantially more than her dream job, then, well...

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If that's the long term plan, then I think the temporary move to the cheap apt during the week is your answer. You'd save on gas from the commute and from biking to work. If you two think you can handle the apart time, then that's your answer. And if you find after a few months you can't handle it, then you can always give up the apt. and go back to the old commute.

My Dad did this while I was in high school and college. (I'm the oldest). It's not like we had a lot of quality time with him when he was home during the week. Mostly dinner, then he read the paper and we watched TV when he worked local. We had homework. The only time anyone had to do anything was the weekends anyway.

7. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wouldn't consider working from home and child-rearing to be compatible... at least not with the very young ones. I worked a job that was exclusively telecommute and one of my coworkers had a baby, but kept "working" (i.e. collecting paychecks). Our small team of people basically had to do all of her work for her because she worked at most 1 hour out of each day. The company went out of business before we really were forced to confront her about it. Children need constant love and attention!

8. perryma

perryma New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If this is for a very short time just to pay something off or put money aside for the future then...ok. But my gut tells me you either both need to move or learn to live with less. Hindsight will never have you wishing you had spent more time at the office or more time on the road. You will wish you had spent more time with the ones you love.

9. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My gut tells me that you haven't read this thread. If you had you would have noticed that my wife and I don't work because we need the money to pay for our extravagant lifestyle. We currently are living on 29% of our combined income. We could easily live on either of our incomes alone. However, neither of us are the type that could sit at home and do nothing. We work for the intellectual stimulation as well as the paycheck. When my job stops being interesting I'll quit and do something else.

You point that no one looks back and says that they wish they had spent more time working in valid. However, even if only one of us worked we are still limited by the incredibly small amount of vacation that is available from American corporations. We are at the point were time is far more valuable than money. We have both tried to trade salary for more vacation time with no success. Ideally we would have 4-6 weeks off per year. After all, what good is money if you don't have time to spend it? We may end up both working for say 5 years, taking a year or so off, and then going back to work.