1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I’m a traveling Prius Engine installer.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by HelloMcFly, Feb 9, 2023.

1. HelloMcFly

HelloMcFly Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I posted this on Reddit, and thought I’d post here if anyone is in a bind. Stay happy and positive everyone!

To make a long story short, I got fed up working as a mechanic for a major manufacturer. I never saw my family, and I was stressing myself to a point that was unhealthy, I decided to go another route.

I began using my mechanic skills to help many people around the state of Oklahoma, doing many engine swaps, ABS modules, brake boosters, and suspension rebuilds on their Prius’s.

The last month I had 3 customers who asked if I’d travel to throw 4th Gen engines in their 3rd Gen Prius’s.. I gladly accepted and performed the swaps in the customers garage’s.

I had such a good time, meeting friends, and resurrecting a few cars from the dead, I figured I’d offer traveling engine swap services for anyone who’s interested. I’ve done countless engine swaps on 3rd gens, countless ABS modules on 2nd and 3rd gens, Many suspension and brake jobs, countless battery rebuilds etc.

If you have a Prius that’s needing a engine swap, I’ll be happy to do so in your driveway or garage. I can most likely have it done in less than a day, and the best part, you don’t have to leave your house! I should be there by the morning and you should be driving the car that night.

My Instagram is skimmilkhybrid if interested. I am willing to travel to help out where I can. I’ll gladly continuing helping owners in Oklahoma, but if anyone is in need out of state, it doesn’t matter the distance, feel free to contact me. Have fun!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    An engine swap in a day that's pretty good so that would be with some really good planning You would need to have the customer to probably have an engine sourced delivered to his location any gasket sets all of that sort of thing sitting there ready to go and then when you get there so you're coming with an engine hoist and all of that stuff with you? Or do you want me to have the garage all set up hoist in place knee lift all of that kind of stuff tool boxes ready to go The beer in the fridge that sort of thing?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I imagine he would bring everything

Grit, HelloMcFly and PriusCamper like this.
  4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It would be helpful to know your process replacing an engine in somebodies garage. I know Gasketmasters brings a big box truck full of engines, parts and tools to do this kind of work but I don't think they do gen3/4 frankensteins. Would you go to Central Texas (eg San Antonio/Austin)?

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Best part of the auto repair biz is when you don't have a boss and you can do the same job over and over again so you always get faster, smarter and more efficient at it every time you do it.

If you and your family want to vacation in the PNW once the weather in your part of the country starts getting super hot, hit me up and I'll try to schedule people who need this work done on the northern part of the west coast.

Also consider getting in touch with Jack at Nexcell so you can get an affiliate link like this: https://projectlithium.com/?ref=9qLPw and maybe even work out a wholesale deal with him. His modules are really well packaged and don't take up much space and selling a Gen4 engine install with a brand new Lithium Upgrade pack (3 hours install time) would make an early year Gen3 Prius entirely fixed of all its failings and would be like a traditional Toyota good for 300K miles or more with nothing but oil changes and spark plugs for maintenance!

#5 PriusCamper, Feb 10, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    Montgomery likes this.
  6. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hellomcfly,
    A very generous offer indeed! A smart one also for someone with the tools and the know how! Biggest expense would be travel. I imagine you will be driving a vehicle in which you can sleep in to save on rest/travel costs?

7. HelloMcFly

HelloMcFly Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Great question. I bring everything including hoist. You just sit back, watch Hulu, and I should be out of your way in less than a day. I make this a easy as possible on you.
    Only thing I require is a garage if it’s cold.

Sure, I’ll go anywhere. I just require the customer have the engine, I’ll take care of the rest. I’ll go anywhere in the U.S. ( on the mainland). It’s really that easy.

I’d more than likely get a hotel if I need to stay the night. I’ve done several here in Oklahoma and didn’t have to stay over night, I was done by the evening.

It’s funny you mention that, as I contacted him last night. I’m running a Nexcell and a 4th Gen engine. I believe Jack and I are the only ones in the states with this setup. Thank you for all your suggestions. I can work in cold weather as well as long as the garage is heated :)

#7 HelloMcFly, Feb 10, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2023
    PriusCamper likes this.
  8. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great example of one taking their own gifts/talents, utilizing them to earn a good living and travel to help others who are in need of this type of service in areas that it is not offered. I have a fun suggestion, you may want to make up a basic website and post before and after pictures. This will be a very strong selling point. It really is true that a picture is worth a thousand words! I wish you the best and you are correct.........have fun! I just retired from my full time job and I am going back to doing my fun job full time......for the fun of it!!

9. HelloMcFly

HelloMcFly Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five

Congrats on your retirement! And thank you for the well wishes. You’re certainly a very nice individual!

i have a Instagram with a few of my projects listed, it can be found at: skimmilkhybrid

If I could figure out how someone could leave me reviews then I’d be happy. :)

10. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bribe them with dollar signs. Leave a positive feedback within 5 days of service charged and get back 5% of amount back.

11. HelloMcFly

HelloMcFly Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Getting someone to leave a review wouldn’t be a problem, it’s where they could leave a review

PriusCamper likes this.
  12. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Funny I do this for other big things in homes and businesses like theater systems hot tubs swimming pools of done some elevators actually flown into where people are building and stayed on the property while I install whatever we're talking about a lot of times stay extra time and do other things while I'm there because it came up actually get to know lots of these people really well their kids their dogs whatever It's a pretty decent life and it's always something different I can be in my area or be out of my area I just didn't opt for the large sprinter van and the trailer or any of that I just get flown directly to these people's homes where they generally have one to five car garages three plus thousand square feet homes generally twice that and all of that A lot of these folks will even have hand tools and stuff fully stocked garages some even have lifts pretty wild folks just buy this stuff to put in their garage like toys some of this stuff is never been used until I arrived interesting for sure. It's amazing what money will do for you.

13. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tombukt2, I really have a hard time reading your posts. I apologize, but I don't understand what you are saying.

GregC1979 and fotomoto like this.
  14. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi HelloMcFly,

Yours is a really great posting. If you actually do all you say, you will be more busy than you can handle before you know it. Finding reliable, competent people with skills like yours is no easy task. Of course, then you'll be faced with the dilemma of how to handle the excessive workload. You don't need to advertise to get busy - word of mouth will do it for you. And every dealership - over-priced and disinterested in "non routine Prius work" - will be a promoter of your business.

The only catch I can see is how to find you. I read your post early this morning and it then took me a few minutes to find it to write this reply.

You're right - keep having fun in a world gone crazy.

Aloha

Montgomery likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Would a YouTube channel work?

16. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    He says he works for rich people and it's a good life, good money and they have it made including nice well equipped garages.

ColoradoCrow and Montgomery like this.
  17. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Been flown out to weird places . Hawaii. Amazon aces like that . We're very well to do folk buy islands and things like that .some family members are related to some of this goings on best way to describe it.

18. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    "Been flown out to Hawaii and the Amazon. Places where rich people buy islands and anything they want. I have good references."

19. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Rjparker is the resident human chat gpt

bisco likes this.
  20. HelloMcFly

HelloMcFly Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius