1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I-5 Bridge collapse, Mt. Vernon - Burlington WA

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by fuzzy1, May 23, 2013.

1. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    General remarks here.

The US once had the greatest infrastructure in the world - we have to bite the bullet and systematically restore it over the years if we want to remain a superpower. I'm not advocating a 21st century WPA or other huge government program, but more than the current neglect that the bridge collapse a few years in Minneapolis did not reverse.

2. iClaudius

iClaudius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Actually you are advocating, correctly, a 21st century WPA, huge government programs. Many of them, water/sewer are in similar condition, school buildings, parks, dams, rail all require massive programs from 30 years of "no taxes" "evil gummnit" ideological neglect and the fantasy of free lunch where everything fixes itself by magic.

WA is microcosm for this as I-5 falls into one river while the ideological GOP nutcases kill the new I-5 bridge over the Columbia, a project that includes light rail connection from Portland to Vancouver. When they kill it, it will take another 10 years to put it back together.

They have found time to tax hybrids and EV's while not raising the gasoline tax doing the EXACT OPPOSITE of what is needed.

It's like the two Oklahoma Senators who vote AGAINST other states disaster aid and now make big claims upon it. And people keep electing these nuts.

ftl likes this.
  3. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ Right now, we are letting the highway system decay.

I don't expect anything like the Interstate Highway program of the 50's to happen.

But something needs to be done.

4. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What people (especially those that are bossed with "first cost") don't get is the investment aspect of good public works/infrastructure spending. For example, a bad bridge that hinders commerce brings hidden costs with it. For example, if bad bridge and traffic management adds 1 hour to a truck trip, multiplied by X number of trips per day is the hidden costs.

Let's just say it is $100, per truck, times 100 trips per day, makes a drain on the economy of $10,000/day, or better than $3 million per year. Multiply that by all the hidden infrastructure costs and pretty soon you are talking real money.

The bottom line, if you amortize the costs of up grading uch infrastructure over a good design life, and it turns out to be waaaay cheaper! In this current economy we ought to be bonding ourselves to the hilt, building and rebuilding every bridge and road, and school we possibly can right now, since bonding interest has NEVER been lower. We could solve the unemplyment issue right now, and invest in infrastructure that actually pays long term benefit. Borrowing for infrastructure at such low rates is really a no brainer, something out body politic is pretty good at!

The problem is we have no political will to do so, since we have convinced ourselves that we have a "debt crisis" when in fact what we have is a infrastrucure/jobs crisis. (Amongst other issues!)

Icarus

5. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is not just the highway system. It is in fact surface streets, schools, sewer and water systems, power grid, gas line infrastructure. According to the American Society of Civil Engineers we are woefully deficient in nearly all aspects of infrastrucure spending relative to the rest of the world. (real numbers easily available on Google)

Icarus

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The problem with this detour, and all the detours, is traffic capacity. Anyone who has used the Conway exit during the Tulip Fest has probably experienced severe backups, especially when trying to get on to southbound I5. Either a temporary traffic light needs to be added at the Fir Island Road - Pioneer Highway intersection, or southbound traffic needs to be pointed south on the Pioneer Highway to the next entrance ramps south, Exit 218 and beyond.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The news media is quoting our new governor, a politician who will say whatever it takes to get elected. At one time he was my congresscritter. He earned my perpetual distrust 19 years ago, and has been reinforcing that ever since.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is just more ProximalSuns-style disinformation, smearing any elected officials he doesn't like as 'GOP', regardless of actual party affiliation.

The GOP does not have a majority of either house in Washington. A near tie and an alliance with two members across the aisle have given it effective control of the House this session, but the Senate remains firmly Democratic. The tax proposals came from the Senate Democrats.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    I think 15 million was estimate for the temporary fix. the permanent fix is expected to be 50 million plus. Mt Vernon is a town very similar to Aberdeen. it is vital in that it acts as a crossroads to desired destinations. it has no real jobs or industry other than recreational fishing and farming. its real existence was due to logging way back when which has been long gone putting them into a semi-recession that "had" been going on for 30 years. the last time I spent any real time there was the early nineties when I was seeing someone who was born and raised in the area.

to give you an idea of what the atmosphere was back then, I went up to help her dad one time to retrieve his fishing shack which was perched on the side of the river on public land that was literally unusable due to flooding. they had a flood and the shack washed off its "foundation" so we had to basically winch it back into place.

the shack has been in the family for 80+ years and there is no paper of any kind. its simply widely known as the shack "Bear" owns and that is that. now how it gets to sit on public land I am not sure although there were several "cease and desist" notices on the door but apparently it had become some sort of discussion between the feds and the local tribes as to who was allowed to be there in the first place.

the other thing was fishing since he fished nearly all year long against state regs but he was apparently using his "heritage" on that as well. I think I heard somewhere that he was like 7½ % Indian or something. he had red hair soooo, I don't know...

10. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The difference between Aberdeen and Mt. Vernon is that Aberdeen is sort of the "end of the line" (with alternatives) while Mt. Vernon is on the main line, with few reasonable alternatives.

Icarus

11. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry, wrong Washington!

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

I agree and diverting money into mass transit would be the way to go. I just read a study on electrified rail and the feasibility of hauling goods currently hauled by trucks by rail. but again that is a drastic change to put in front of a congress that cant even agree on minor changes so reading about it is just about as far as we are going to get

xs650 likes this.
  13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    geographically Mt Vernon may seem to be centrally located but fact of the matter is there is just as much incentive to pull over in Mt Vernon as there is in Aberdeen. whether you are going to Ocean Shores to drive on the beach or Westport to go deep sea fishing, most don't pull over

14. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ^Dave,

The point I was making however is that Mt. Vernon carries far more intra/interstate/international trade on a daily basis than Aberdeen, regardless of the reasons to "pull off the road" . There is not a lot of reason to pull off the road in Vantage WA either, but if the I90 Columbia River bridge were to fail, that would be truly catastrophic! The next viable bridge upstream is in Wenatchee, a long way up stream, (over a mountain pass coming from the west) or HWY 26' 30 miles downstream, but needing a 100 mile detour to get over.

Icarus

15. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Take money from defense, and put it in infrastructure. Simple and there is lots to go around.

iClaudius likes this.
  16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok, that I can agree with although not sure how Mt. Vernon equates with the fact that it lies in I-5's path. I actually think that Aberdeen could have done much better had they been a bit more organized in attracting the tourist trade. they are really centrally located for anyone going to the WA Coast. Now, the WA Coast does not have several Billions of $$ from Canada running thru it like I-5 does but it does see a pretty fair amount of traffic. I know of 4 people that are on the coast right now and there is no easy way to get there without passing thru Aberdeen

17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Heh. I lived there from 97 to late 04 and again from late 09 to 2011. I had no real reason to venture out of the Seattle metro area, more specifically the Eastside for most of my stay, which is where I worked. A former colleague commuted from Tacoma. I thought he was nuts. I knew of some who commuted from Snohomish and Monroe. Most didn't live as far away as those folks.

I usually never went down to Tacoma and nor further north than Lynnwood unless I had a real reason to (e.g. going to Vancouver BC). In my last stay there, I think I went to Vancouver BC 2x and Portland 1x or 2x.

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways is 'defense'. While proposed as far back as WWI, it was finally established in 1956, championed by President Eisenhower after he saw how effective the German Autobahn network was during WWII.

It changed again. Apparently the Conway detour would have put a huge amount of traffic across a 'structurally deficient' bridge. While that route is obvious to many locals, it is no longer on the official detour map.

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This claim is supported by a new surveillance video being broadcast today:
    Surveillance video shows I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapsing after hit

Unlike the previous video, where the frame rate is too slow to catch the span while it is falling, this video shows multiple frames of the collapse in motion with the trucks still on it. The video ends prematurely because the collapse also takes out the power at the business with the camera. Though not mentioned in this web piece, the broadcast talking heads point out, and it is clearly visible to viewers, that a second truck is passing the striking truck. The striking load is an open sided box, so we can see through it.

Next questions: was there enough room for this oversize load and a second truck beside it? And did the bridge's cameras (mentioned in other stories, for the purpose of bridge strike investigations) catch this with enough detail to identify the other truck?

20. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes it was defence, but it is not now. There is no reason to need such a network to move tanks around the continental US anymore. I see the tanks being moved in and out on trains then planes and boats.

So take money out of defence spending and put it back towards infrastructure. There is almost no claim that it would be a defence expense. But economic and safety improvements can be easily argued.