1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I always wanted a Prius!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by FurBaby, Jul 2, 2020.

1. FurBaby

FurBaby New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everybody :) Back in 2009 I wanted a Prius but we couldn't comfortably fit 3 people in the back seat- So we went with a Mercury Milan hybrid (same as a Ford Fusion). Well- 10 years later- Mercury went out of business, and the car was too small to drive comfortably from NJ to SC every month with 3 dogs. So we got a Honda Pilot for the hauling room which ended up being my preferred car to drive, and my hubby took over the hybrid Milan for his work car.

Then came Covid 19- and we were in SC at the time in our retirement house that we have yet to move into full time when the lockdown was ordered. We still have a foot in NJ. My son lives in that home when we are South. Hubby flies back and forth for work every month and I stay in SC most of the year and go home to NJ in the summers. Except for this year......Covid. Hubby is not flying- but driving back and forth due to Covid- and I was without a car for 2 weeks and was not very happy about it the first time he drove home alone.

So..... We bought a Prius v two- 2014 with 143,000 miles on it for me to drive around in SC! I love it. I test drove the regular Prius (private seller) and found it to be too small for me- I hit my head getting in and the windshield was just too small. We stopped at a dealership on the way home and stumbled on the Prius v. It had more miles than I wanted- tried to get one under 100,000 on it, but I took a chance and bought it :) i'm hoping that the traction battery lasts another 100,000 miles. ;)

2. jimontheocean

jimontheocean Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome. SC here also.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With 143K miles, if you guys are into DIY, it's time to take on EGR and intake manifold cleaning.

The simplest way to see where you're at, is to check the degree of carbon build up in the EGR pipe, a stainless steel connecting pipe between the EGR valve and intake manifold. Watch @NutzAboutBolts video #16 here:

Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | PriusChat

Two or three other videos linked there too, for the full cleaning of the intake manifold, full EGR clean, and Oil Catch Can install.

Good thread:

EGR & Intake Manifold Clean Results | PriusChat

Another:

Oil Catch Can, Eliminate that knock! | PriusChat

Some tools worth having:

E8 Torx socket (mandatory)
    E6 Torx socket (optional, but good to have, to remove the throttle body studs from intake manifold)
    3/8" ratchet wrench, regular and long handle, flex head, you can never have enough (or 1/2 plus reducer)
    1/4" ratchet wrench, or 3/8" to 1/4" reducer
    Ratchet extensions: you can never have enough
    Long needle nose piers, straight and bent tip
    Ratcheting 12mm box wrench (optional, but makes disconnection of the EGR cooler from exhaust easier)
    Torque wrench (3/8" and 1/4" both good to have)
    Floor jack and safety stands (or ramps): basically some method to raise front, if you need to take underpanel off, which you may need to, both for access and to recover dropped items.

Comment regarding clamping of coolant hose, mentioned and or shown in videos:

1. When removing the intake manifold for cleaning, you do need to lift the throttle body off the intake manifold. Still, the coolant hoses connected to the throttle body have ample slack, enough that you can leave them connected, and just tie the throttle body to something adjacent, say the inverter wiring harness.

2. When removing the EGR cooler, removing coolant hoses is necessary, but if you drain 2 liters/quarts from the radiator drain spigot prior (into a clean container), the coolant level in the system will be dropped below the EGR componennts, and you won't spill anything. Just be sure to not tip the cooler when lifting it off (and catch the rear gasket): there are a few tablespoons of coolant trapped at the lower back corner.

Pour that into your previous drained coolant, and when done pour it back into the reservoir. If you've got the coolant bleed bolt (2010, 2011 model years), leave it open while pouring the coolant back in, till coolant starts coming out. For later model years, leave the topmost coolant hose on EGR disconnected till coolant starts coming out. Also, might help to burp the main radiator hose as you pour the coolant back in.

NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome, all the best!(y)

Mendel Leisk likes this.