1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I am a doctor now! (well, sort of)

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Michgal007, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: I am working as a post-doctoral researcher at the Ohio State University now. I get a lot of heat from people here in Columbus because Michigan-OSU are probably the biggest football rivals. My friends in Michigan want to disown me and people here shun me. Sigh. :)

P.S. - I took a 5000 mile road trip in June. Will post a thread about that sometime.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OMG! Gasp! I don't know you anymore. :drama:

Tom

1 person likes this.
  3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    lol...wow, major conflict here. there used to be another doctor (pediatrician) here Henry (hdrygas) who tragically passed away too young who was a OSU grad. he lived a few miles from me and we used to compare mods and mileage stats and argue about which college had the better traditions. now i never went to U-M but did have exclusive use of season tickets when in high school, so have done many many tailgate parties there.

and Mich... remember you would never be what you are now, if not for what you gained on the way there... which means that U-M is much more significant in your life right??

4. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's sad to hear about your friend and fellow PC member.

Yes indeed. UM means much more. Plus I love Ann Arbor. Good thing is that I am only 3.5 hours away, so I get to visit AA and UM often. :)

5. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Do you know how to find A^2 from Columbus? Go west until you smell it, then north until you step in it. That's what I was told when I used to live in Columbus.

Tom

6. agill

agill New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Michgal,
    just happened to come across this thread on PC today. Congrats on your graduation. I defended my PhD thesis in Structural Biology and Biochemistry last year (Oct 2009) and am presently doing my post-doc. Reading your comment that your thesis advisor said that you drive a Prius reminded me of a funny incident at the time of my thesis defense. On the night before my defense I had driven down to the local airport to pick up my external examiner and drop him off at his hotel. When he got into my car (Black Prius '06) he commented that he himself had gotten a Prius just 2 weeks earlier, and definitely loved the car. And we really hit it off after that. He was impressed with my thesis, but we ended up in a good discussion about the Prius and other gadgets on the ride to his hotel. My thesis advisor has an old 98' Subaru outback, with the paint chipping off in places. The next morning, my thesis advisor stopped by his hotel in his car to pick up my external examiner for breakfast. And the first comment my examiner made when he stepped into my PI's car was... your graduate student has a much better ride than you do. We had a hearty laugh when my thesis advisor mentioned this to me that night after my defense.

Avi

7. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

Congratulations. Is biophysics something like this?

http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/begin/cells/scale/
    Drill down from a coffee bean to a carbon atom.

1 person likes this.
  8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
  9. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is more like cell biology, but learning about what they are and how to manipulate them is biophysics. It is related. :)

10. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's pretty funny given that my advisor also drives an old Subaru and I have a black 06...

11. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tom: What do you smell when you go west? Gary, Indiana?

12. Carnutt

Carnutt Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Double the above celebration as you're not the kind of doctor subject to the proposed brand of health reform:cool:.

13. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When I go west I smell water. Likewise east or north. South is the only dry direction from here.

Tom