1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I am calling for a boycott!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mssmith95, Jun 30, 2006.

1. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ Apr 25 2006, 04:06 PM) [snapback]245144[/snapback]</div>
    Seems this has been tried. Kinda. Apparently location and model are not required, DANNY, and, since so many people ignore anything with the {you} tag in it, I would suggest that it be taken out, DANNY! :rolleyes:

2. davidf

davidf New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jun 30 2006, 11:32 PM) [snapback]279569[/snapback]</div>
    As a relatively new davidf (not the original poster -- I joined in late May), I'd kinda hope people wouldn't ignore things from me ;)

David F
    A real person in Bellevue, WA

3. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    DANNY,

It's time to make a complete profile mandatory.

Mssmith95 made a Great point to support mandatory profiles. Of the 23 replys to this thread, only 2 members refused to complete their profiles (for privacy purposes??), but his research documented that both members had posted their information somewhere in other in threads - SO MUCH FOR THEIR PRIVACY ARGUMENT!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jul 1 2006, 12:01 AM) [snapback]279513[/snapback]</div>

4. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 30 2006, 06:33 PM) [snapback]279440[/snapback]</div>
    Galaxee and others are correct. Most people use this forum to seek help and increase our understanding. Without knowing geographical location and a something about what is installed on the car, it is difficult to understand how to best help someone or whether a specific topic applies to you.

Of course, color does not do much other than show your preferences and alignment to a specific subset of Prians. :p

5. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :eek: MY VOTE: Block all access for those who decline to post an updated profile. This would likely free us of those TROLLS who want to remain anonymous. I would also VOTE to disable the forum code which inserts a reader's name... such as a post by Rufaro today. This is a juvenile annoyance unwelcome on a helpful, information-sharing forum.

You will note my "Signature" in my response to other impolite, annoying avatars and posting habits of some... Thanks for the IGNORE function.

6. FourOhFour

FourOhFour Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jul 1 2006, 12:01 AM) [snapback]279513[/snapback]</div>
    See, I knew someone would dig that up. But it takes a little more work. I never said it made *sense*. With a little more digging, you probably could drag up my real name and phone number. Should I list that too?

7. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's silly to try to force anyone to do anything on a free (as in both "speech" and "beer"), supposedly helpful forum. Is it annoying when people ask questions about why their BT phone doesn't work, only later to discover they have a Package #1? Sure. Is it the most annoying thing in your day? Well, hopefully it is, but probably not.

Here's an idea: if you're sick of answering questions from people who don't post location/package information, don't answer the questions. Sooner or later, they will either post the relevant information (and you can go back and provide your input) or stop asking. Most of the "interesting" and "new" questions are interesting enough that (other) people will query them about the relevant information just to try to understand the problem.

I liked the way Trevor put it. This isn't your job. You don't have to help out. Most of us came here because we wanted to get information about the Prius. Most of us stayed because we like providing help (or, in my case, because we need to procrastinate from writing our dissertation ;) ).

It's as simple as this: If you don't want to help people that don't provide profile information, then don't.

8. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jun 30 2006, 06:50 PM) [snapback]279360[/snapback]</div>
    I would make it mandatory, to be an active participant of PC; for the ones only browsing and reading the post once in a while, these people can keep themself in the dark or remain anonymous with "no avatar" option.
    It's no discrimination, only the right way to participate in PC. ;)

9. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

yes, I agree

10. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Jul 1 2006, 07:16 AM) [snapback]279648[/snapback]</div>
    That is why I am calling for the Boycott...

To make sure that as many of us stop answering as possible.

Whether or not that makes people update their profile or include pertinent information in their posts...we shall see.

11. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Jul 1 2006, 06:21 AM) [snapback]279639[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe not that harsh, just required for posting.

Notice you don't have to put your city or state in. "Somewhere in the North East" will do.

12. lisi

lisi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Jul 1 2006, 08:21 AM) [snapback]279639[/snapback]</div>
    It's clear that some newbies who might otherwise be valuable contributing member to this forum or merely here in search of information are confused by the "joke" played on them by such antics - davidf is as good example an example as any. It's kinda like being at some weird hazing ceremony where others are laughing at your expense.

I came to this forum over a month ago for information about the Prius & changed my username because I fell prey to the sort of "joke" that David fell prey to. While others were LOL, I was busily changing my username.

C'mon now, is it funny when newbies who first click on "priuschat" & actually take the time to register find that they are mysteriously & instantaneously the object of ridicule? Why register at all?

Betelgeuse said it best: "It's as simple as this: If you don't want to help people that don't provide profile information, then don't."

Thanks, Betelgeuse.

13. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lisi @ Jul 1 2006, 05:20 PM) [snapback]279854[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I tried addressing that a few months back too...to no avail!

Blow up the "you" thread

14. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Jul 1 2006, 06:21 AM) [snapback]279639[/snapback]</div>
    And, if you read my post, it was in fact a poll seeking to banish the damn {you} tag. And I ignore posts by people who just get on their high horses and assume they are right when they don't actually read what they comment on. I don't really give a damn who or what you ignore--I ignore long sigs.

15. lisi

lisi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jul 1 2006, 11:43 PM) [snapback]279955[/snapback]</div>
    Gotta admit you definitely get bonus points for trying. Too bad the thread got side-tracked & never received adequate intelligent discussion. I guess driving a prius day after day makes one a bit giddy. Hope to find out sometime this summer. ;)

Nevertheless, I still don't agree about mandatory listing of every detail of one's purchase as I see it as a potentially exclusive (rather than inclusive) policy & I think that anyone here is free to skip over/choose not to respond to any post for any reason anyway. Any day. Most people I've found to be quite anxious to help out - that's what makes this forum so vibrant & so active.

On balance you come out waaaayyy ahead, mssmith95, 'cause I really like your avatar. :)

16. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lisi @ Jul 2 2006, 09:36 AM) [snapback]280118[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks!

It was taken a few years back at a place called Legoland here in So. Cal. My daughter loved driving the electric cars! I guess that makes two of us now!

Hey, if you want you can add something to that old thread to try to rekindle it!

17. sgails

sgails sgails

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jul 1 2006, 02:32 AM) [snapback]279569[/snapback]</div>

I have updated my profile 3 times already. I even put a picture of my car. sgails

18. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Time to bail on a board when it reaches the point that many feel more rules are needed. Where does it end? Chill.

Don't like the existing rules here? Leave. Run your own board according to your own rules. Commandeering someone else's board and feeling you should be running it is juvenile and lazy.

Talk of a boycott is anal and controlling. A board so run will not long have me as a member.

19. andreaswin

andreaswin New Member

:)

well if the profile is very important , , then someone have to look into what info thats gonna be there...

because for european the spec for the car will not be accurate at all...... many european countries have a totally different "package" solution than whats in the US..... Norway has just 2 package deals....... an none of those 2 models are the same as any of the US packages ,,, And the european prius is different in construction aswell....

cheers

Andreas

20. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jul 1 2006, 01:51 PM) [snapback]279739[/snapback]</div>

Well, right at the end there, you got it a little better. I'd much rather read all of the usefull information in one coherent statment rather then getting an incomplete statment then having to go look for more data in the profile. Boycott people because they don't care to flesh out a profile? That's more rude then helpfull. Just encourage pelpe to include helpfull info in their posts. Also, it's better for archive purpose anyway. When a profile changes, it changes across the board. If a poster moves, but didn't have their location in the post, just the profile, the post is now out of context and more difficult to get help from.