1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I am going solar

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by usbseawolf2000, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends where you live. It is similar to the variability we have in MN.
    That variability and the fact that we help stabilize the grid and reduce the need for new power plants are the main reasons we don't go off grid.

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Bill, PiP is the only car in the family that only I drive to work. My wife takes public transportation.

For weekend and vacation, we need to drive out of state that BEVs cannot meet. If we have two cars, that's ok but I like the KISS principle.

In my case, I would have to go to extreme to displace more miles with solar. Instead, I choose to displace my natural gas to heat my house.

I may upgrade to PiP2 only because gas engine efficiency is important for my usage.

3. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    i'm curious, where do you go on the weekend such that, say, a Tesla would be insufficient for your needs given that you live in NJ? Even with no destination charging (worst case), that's 120 miles one-way with the 70D. on the weekend?

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For December, I would welcome such 'bad' production. Mine was a hair under 100 kWh. PV_output_2015_monthly.jpg
    (Note that system was expanded 62% on Jun 1).
    Rub it in, will you. :(

It looks like your seasonal variation was less than 1.5:1. Usb's difference was about 4:1. Mine was 9.6:1, mostly due to Pacific Northwest cloud cover. December had about 28 days of rain.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Let's see, I go to Camelback mountain for snowboarding about 110 miles one way. When we go, we stay there multiple days. I have also driven to Boston, DC, Canada, etc.

We don't know when we'll be going this year but I don't want to limit myself to 120 miles radius. I certainly can't convince my wife. :p Model S is also out of my budget.

I am happy with current reduction in fossil fuel. Eliminating it in car will take order of magnitude more effort. There are more opportunity to reduce it at my home.
    You guys get more bang for the buck for sure. It is easier to size your inverter as well. :)

From your profile pic, your new home is coming along! Would winter slow things down? Do you have pv panels up yet or that will come later?

6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm afraid I didn't mean to be showing off. (I was a little concerned that something might be wrong, especially since usb has the Solar Edge with panel optimization). At one point a papaya tree decided to grow a branch of flowers right on top of one panel. Early December one panel quit producing on ours...

I can't remember all the posts on this thread: are you on an microinverter system, optimizer central inverter, or centralized inverter alone? (Maybe it doesn't really matter with that many days of rain though...)

Don't worry. What we have in sun, we make up with lack of rain!!!

7. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    No PV yet:(
    Winter slows outside work a bit, what is really slowing us down is the rate of building in our area.
    Scheduling subcontractors has been challenging, and when one is delayed, anything dependent on that job also has to be rescheduled.

The metal roof should be up this month, so work on the panels can start at the end of this month or beginning of February.

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You weren't showing off, I was just bellyaching about my local climate. Direct sunlight is normally scarce in winter, and was more scarce than normal last month. We had the second wettest December ever, and the darkest day ever recorded since the University of Washington weather station began measuring that data item.
    Microinverter system, due to significant tree shading. This time of year, far more trees participate in the shading, and even a neighbor's roof shadow reaches my system.

But, despite unfavorable winter weather and interference from trees beyond my property, solar PV still works here.

#368 fuzzy1, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  9. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    well looks like you're in luck, seeing as a supercharger has opened less than a month ago in The Crossings Premium Outlets in Tannersville. Can't get much better than that!

Same goes for travel up and down the 95 corridor (4 locations between Edison and Trenton alone). Toronto should pose no challenge for you (7 locations between NYC and there), while Montreal might be a bit too close for comfort but still doable (and definitely doable if you're willing to detour to Burlington).

10. Wanbli

Wanbli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I've been solar for 15 years, but I just bought a 2012 Prius plug in and I'm curious to know if there's a way to charge it directly from my 24vdc battery bank? If anyone has done this or know someone who has, or where I can find information about this, please let me know!

11. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Very simple.....
    Well, I know you know this but basically you need an Step-up Inverter from 24VDC to 120 VAC, about 1KWH and powered straight from your battery bank.

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    He asked about charging directly. I take that means DC to DC without converting to AC first.

I am afraid you won't be able to. There is no official Toyota DC charger. There is L2 240V charger but that's also AC.

You are going to have to go lower level and mess around with the electronics.

13. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    My answer was 100% correct, and charging procedures fallowed and to be used with the OEM EVSE supplied that's 120VAC.
    There are Inverters in the market at those low voltage input levels for applications as such.

14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  15. Wanbli

Wanbli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    USB was correct, I wanted to charge DC - DC. With 10%+/- losses with each conversion, seems silly to convert DC to AC, then AC back to DC to the car battery loosing 20%+/- with every charge. Not sure the Toyota engineers had their thinking caps on when they designed this charging system. They considered 120vac & 240vac,but no Direct DC? Bummer! :-(

16. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    With a total charging session of 3 KWH, they probably figured the quick charger wouldn't be worth it. Ditto for providing a 2 KW charger. The Gen I Volt has a 3 KW charger, the Gen II Leaf 6KW.

17. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I'm giving up answering for unclear questions...................and I tough I can figure up people. with some technical knowledge :censored:

18. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    [QUOTE="CharlesH, post: 2288963, member: 10706"The Gen I Volt has a 3 KW charger, the Gen II Leaf 6KW.[/QUOTE]
    These two are in a complete different vehicle category.
    Prius Plug-in is a wimpy electric mode assisted and it has a charger accordingly to the needs.

19. Wanbli

Wanbli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    These two are in a complete different vehicle category.
    Prius Plug-in is a wimpy electric mode assisted and it has a charger accordingly to the needs.[/QUOTE]

According to Consumer reports ;
    "Consumer Reports in its December 6, 2012 publication found that the Ford Fusion Hybrid and Ford C-Max Hybrid's tested fuel economy was 20% (8 MPG) short of Ford's EPA mileage claims. After many reports from owners and media of the Ford Fusion Hybrid getting less than the stated 47 MPG city/47 MPG highway/47 MPG combined, a class action lawsuit was brought against Ford on December 26, 2012. Consumer Reports reviewed several other vehicle makes and models and found the Fusion Hybrid from Ford were the worst under-performers compared to EPA fuel efficiency ratings in real world usage compared to 16 others including hybrids. "
    I can say that my "whimpy " little Prius Plug-in gets an honest minimum MPG of 50. Much better then a Found On Road Dead FORD!

20. Wanbli

Wanbli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Really? I thought I was pretty clear in my question. Seems others understood it, hmmm. Perhaps it's your depth of technical knowledge that's in question..... ;-)