1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I am having trouble w nav hands free etc

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jenpen, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Jenpen

Jenpen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the hardest time getting voice commands correctly recognized I'd say probably 20 to 30%. this. Is even in the driveway and silence in the car. It fails to mute the stereo on some calls. But the worst is the gps is sending seems to send me to crack town even on old locations that it has navigated before just starting from a different location. Once the heads up display indicated right and voice indicated left if I had followes the voice I would have ended up going the wrong way interstate fortunately there are wrong way signs. I have been to the dealer three times and no help are they all this way or is it a dud.
    Thanks
    Jen
    Btw it's a 2012 solar roof package 3 with upgrade jbl and nav

2. schorert

schorert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The voice command system in this Nav is a joke. I can speak to my android phone and get nav directions in seconds. trying to get this car to navigate somewhere is simply an exercise in frustration. I continue to be absolutely flummoxed that built in nav systems cost a damn fortune, yet are executed so f-ing poorly. MB, Ford, GM and now Toyota....they have to bundle them with other options because nobody in their right mind would purchase one unless they were forced to.

ProximalSuns and ftl like this.
  3. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What schorert said. Hands free doesn't really work. I get the error "Not available while driving" which is the entire point of hands free, to be able to use nav safely while driving.

They have to be making more profit on the navs than the car. They spend nothing on the navs, getting them from the Etch-a-Sketch recycling center with functionality to match, and charge $2,000 which would buy TWO loaded iPads.

After the horrible Ford Synch, I swore I'd save $2K and not purchase the auto nav system get a super Garmin and use my iPhone for the rest. But nooooooo.....you can't get the sunroof or DRL's without the $2,000 cost/$20 value Toyota nav.

4. sLick415

sLick415 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No nav can ever replace Siri <3

5. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I though when I bought my Five that I'd never need my Garmin 1450LMT again... boy was I wrong!

The maps in the Prius are OK- but the NAV sucks and is super frustrating to use on the fly when the car's in motion. You should have seen the look on my wife's face when we had to pull off the road recently so I could stop to type in the destination address after several failed attempts at voice commands (by both of us). Not a shining moment for the $30K Prius....

Strange that the hands free radio tuning works so well and the NAV is so buggy.

6. Jenpen

Jenpen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't get the hands free to work the radio or phone worthless.

schorert likes this.
  7. Jenpen

Jenpen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My hands free does not work on really anything I haven't tried to do voice nav because it can't even call hone or Rick . It make many mistakes on manually entered directions I used my daughters school address and verified it worked several times on the way to school but when I'm out running errands and want the best way to school it gets me totally lost and have to resort to asking for directions. Does anyone get where they are supposed if they supply the correct address can you use voice to call home? I get music 20% phone 10% of the time.

8. jabecker

jabecker driver of Prii since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sadly, the hands free in my 2005 was way, way better.

9. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I only use the call by name feature. It works okay. But then a BlackBerry from 2007 worked okay too in that regard. :(

The only good thing about Entune, is I get Pandora built in and I can control it via the head unit. Everything else is garbage I tell ya.