1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I am not allowed to wash my prius, what do i do?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jordan122342, Apr 27, 2008.

1. jordan122342

jordan122342 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ok get this,

gonna tell this story simply, in short bits so i dont trail off, i have a tendency to go off on a tangent.

I live in a 3 level house, the top 2 levels are one apartment, and the bottom level is its own apartment. I live upstairs with my brother, sister in law, and newborn baby niece.

We got this new lady move in downstairs, and she is a total.... well lets just say that shes not a very nice or considerable lady.

Apparently our house has been using too much water, and our landlord came to us telling us that we are taking advantage of her.

I just bought myself an 08 #5 magnetic grey metallic Prius, Ive had it for 13 days. on the day the new lady moved in, i washed and waxed it for the first time.

So this lady tells the landlord that i wash my car all the time, and thats why our water bill is so high.

So, even though i only washed it once (and by the way, i turned off the hose between prewash, soap, and rinse) I am not allowed to wash my car anymore. I also have to now park across the street in an empty lot, of dirt. AND i live near the beach, so the car gets dirty real quick with sandy air from the beach.

I dont know what to do, We are not allowed to use the hose anymore, and my car gets more and more dirty every day.

HELP ME

2. tasker109

tasker109 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    how about buying the california car duster. im thinking about getting one too just to keep Baby Blue looking good.........

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pay Carwash?
    Off the old lady?
    Offer to pay a little extra to the land lord to cover the cost of additional water use?

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I use a self-service car wash (no brush, just high-pressure wash) for most of the dirt, then follow up at home withhttp://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B000E9TS6O?tag=priuschatcom-20 using a good microfiber towel.

I also have the California Duster, but it's only that -- a duster. It won't clean dirt off the car. I use it mainly during pollen season between washes.

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What does your lease say about the issue?

Anyways, I live in the middle of Manhattan without access to a hose or easy access to a car wash. I've been handwashing my car using Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine (ONR) and only two buckets of water -- one for the ONR/water solution, and one filled with clean water to clean the sponge. No rinsing of the car is necessary. And because of its high polymer content, I haven't had a problem with scratches occurring while washing. I think it's great stuff. Auto detailers seem to like it too:

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine 32 Ounce - Specials & Closeouts

No Rinse Wash & Shine

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Optimum No Rinse. All you need is one bucket of water (preferably two.... the second one as a rinse bucket).

7. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Get used to it! If CA had its way, which it probably soon will, you won't be able to wash your car at your home due to the water usage and evil pollutant run-off.

I'd say move, get the H out of CA. Whatever you do don't go to Santa Monica because I think it is already illegal to wash your car there. I now that Santa Monica's statte representative has already proposed that for the state.

Remember the State knows whats best for you, just like this old lady.

8. jordan122342

jordan122342 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I dont want to use the pay washes cause i dont want those frickin brushes to damage the aerial atop my car (i guess this justifies a sharkfin purchase... but does that work with GPS? See, another random outburst, back to the topic....)
    I wish i could off her, or at least she could find a new place to live, she complains im too loud, and i am a total quiet introvert and work 40 hours a week at a mindless job, go home and sleep. man shes nuts
    The lease says that utilities are included in the monthly payment as long as we agree to be conservative, but if the monthly cost grows too great, then the owner has the right to refuse payment. so stupid.

I shall have to try this no rinse wash of which you speak.

Question: for those of us with GPS, should i worry about a pay car wash and the brushes damaging the aerial?"

more ideas on how to deal with this?

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yikes, you're just as sinister as I am

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Before the bubble completely burst, my Aunt and Uncle in Santa Rosa sold and moved to St George, Ut. They claim it was one of their better decisions!

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sometimes I use the carwash at the local Shell station if I am too lazy or lack the time to handwash my cars. No worries regarding the radio antenna mounted at the rear of the roof.

If you have the built-in GPS, this has a separate antenna mounted under the leading edge of the dashboard, not exposed to the carwash.

Apartment living requires some consideration for others; too bad not all of the renters behave accordingly.

12. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Your situation is not unique. If you are allowed to use a bucket, use a rinseless car wash like Optimium No-Rinse as others have suggested, or Protect-All Quick & Easy Wash if you don't want to order online and want something you can buy locally (sold at Camping World). If you can't even use a bucket, you can use a waterless wash like Poorboy's Spray and Wipe, or DP Waterless Auto Wash.

13. rkskeet

rkskeet New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Grumpy Landlord = You Go To A Commercial CAR WASH!!! Surpised you didn't think of this????:eek:

14. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have it on good authority that they do have car washes in Ca. If you use an automated one I would use a touchless carwash. Even better if there is a self-wash (high pressure) I would go for that.
    Keep that new baby nice and clean:)

15. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    it's been about 2 years since it's been legal to wash your own car in your driveway here. i've sucked it up and sprung for the auto-washes when the car starts to look dirty, but i'm very sad that i can't keep up the weekly hand washes like i used to. sometimes i sneak a bucket wash in the spray-yourself bays, but lately with pollen season there are lines at just about every car wash and i can't get away with it.

16. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That green dusty film I have on my car right now where it's been parked under trees the past 2 weeks ... is that tree pollen? :confused:

17. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    sure is. down south it's awful- lots of promiscuous pine trees :eek:

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Whatever you decide to do isn't addressing your core problem.

You have a neighbor downstairs who is making up lies and undermining your reputation with your landlord. You need to address that before you decide what to do about your car. If you don't, she is going to continue to tell tales to the landlord and your life is going to become hell. Until you move. Which is probably what she has in mind.

19. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Those trees are having sex above your car Boo and you poor Prius is the dirty bed sheets. Does it feel like you're driving a cheap motel? :D

I don't know if the landlord will allow you to wash you car if you do like we have to. Here you can use buckets of water only, no hose. So I pour water over the roof, wash with car wash in water rinsing each panel as I go, starting with the roof and windows working down to keep lower panels wet then a final rinse and chamois to dry. I use about 4 or 5 buckets or 8 to 10 gallons of water. Toss your landlord 10 cents extra for each time you wash your car.

20. jordan122342

jordan122342 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

AND check this out, on the one day that i washed my car, she saw me washing it, and thats actually where we met for the first time, and her 06 ford focus was totally filthy, so i almost washed it for her, i mean i had the wash right there in the bucket, and sponge in hand... i wonder what would have happened if i had done a good deed and washed her car for her...