1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I am so "TIREd" Please Help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by The Phoenix, Aug 24, 2016.

1. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thank you very much for all the feed back thus far. Everyone has basically reinforced what I already am thinking. I did not do enough pre planning to get another set of rims for this up coming winter, so I will just have to do with a good all season for now. I do have some extra $ BUT I am purchasing a grid charger kit, since the car had 208,000 on it. I want to make it last. I drive roughly 3,300 miles a month, so I would like to see the car get to 300,000. So now my immediate issue is, does anyone have any personal experience about if the Michelin Defenders increase or decrease the MPG's I have heard conflicting reviews.

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That would depend on what tires you were running when you switched. With the tires you have now, it really is best guess IMO. But going to Defenders from a good LRR tire, reports are generally goes down a little IIRC.

Good luck on getting to 300K.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Michelin site says as much. For "fuel efficiency", on a scale of 10:

Energy Saver A/S: 10
    Premier A/S: 9
    Defender: 8
    Pilot: 7

Funny thing, we've got Pilot's on our 17' rims, they don't seem half bad, lol. Maybe because they're the OEM, manufacture date Feb 2009. Yeah, I keep an eye on them, they're not cracking to speak of, and the car is low mileage, garage stored. Maybe RR improves with age?

4. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I tried buying a set of Michelin Energy Savers last spring for my 2009 Gen II, but my size (16") were not available and I was advised that Michelins, although are great tyres, their tread tends to outlast the sidewalls, and my old Michelins were starting to develop micro cracks on the sidewalls, so I ended up with a set of Antares Ingens A1s (…nope, I had never heard of them either) which were about ½ the price of a set of Michelins (…and the Antares came with 50k warranty, balancing, fitting, road hazard, free swapping for as long as I own the car) I drove on them from the end of last spring, until I put the winter steelies (shod with Blizzaks) on at the end of October, and I've found the Antares to be great in the dry and the wet, and to be whisper quiet!

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

Just to append to the above: our Pilots have the GreenX label (Michelin's LRR badge) BUT aftermarket Pilots, supposedly the same tire, through TireRack for example, do not have the GreenX label.